Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#91 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:48 pm
simon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:37 pm You need compost bins Phil :D
Yes, but no.

Thing is, I don't grow anything, so what would I do with the compost ?

Suggestions please. :lol:
I'd start with the stuff you put in your green bin :-D. Save the transportation of the collection vehicles, and then the delivery vehicles for the composted material.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#92 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Ant wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:46 pm Also have a load of wood from them that was too big to go in the shredder so dunno what to do with that.
I'll think of something
Cut them into lengths and make a pile in a corner out of the way somewhere? Let it slowly decay and it will be a proper wildlife hotel.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#93 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

izzy wizzy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm Had a nice day off yesterday. Another day of clearing a 6 ft path for 16m of hedge that will screen the working garden from view. It's a slow business taking days to do as there's up to foot high mounds of dirt in the path and two yew bushes about 6ft high. Have to dig them out for transplanting. My goodness they put up a fight. Only got one out and he finished me off for the day. Another one tomorrow. 3 others need moving at some stage later. Note to self; it's a marathon not a sprint but one half of the bare root hedge has arrived so time not on my side.
That's big for transplanting, I don't envy you. Hope you got a lot of rootball.

Soak the bare root plants and heel them in somewhere till you're ready?
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#94 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

simon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 pm That's big for transplanting, I don't envy you. Hope you got a lot of rootball.

Soak the bare root plants and heel them in somewhere till you're ready?
He's now living in an old plastic compost bin. He had a big rootball so should be good compared to when we got them from next door. How they survived is amazing as some had next to nothing but a stick out the bottom.

The hedge plants are OK according to the supplier for a bit in the cold dark garage for a surprising time but SWMBO is a garden designer/landscape architect and says much sooner than that so hoping to have them in the ground in a couple of days. Thankfully temperatures are still quite low. If it was longer, then heeling them in as you say was going to be the backup option.
Last edited by izzy wizzy on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#95 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Good effort! I've got a 3m tall rhody that needs moving ideally, but I'm reluctant to risk losing it. But it's just in the wrong place...
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#96 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

simon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:40 pm Good effort! I've got a 3m tall rhody that needs moving ideally, but I'm reluctant to risk losing it. But it's just in the wrong place...
Such beautiful bushes/trees. Sounds like you're into gardens/gardening. I get dragged round loads. Crarae Gardens https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/crarae-garden near Loch Fyne is amazing for Rhododendrons.

We have two in pots that will be in the ground soonish. So many trees in pots that have been waiting years, some a decade or more, for this time coming to get in the ground.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#97 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

The soil round here is reasonably acid so rhodies do well. When I say soil, it's sand really! Yeah we're gardeners. A good way to deal with the stresses of the modern world. It sounds like you're on a mission to get sorted before you head home soon.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#98 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

simon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 pm The soil round here is reasonably acid so rhodies do well. When I say soil, it's sand really! Yeah we're gardeners. A good way to deal with the stresses of the modern world. It sounds like you're on a mission to get sorted before you head home soon.
We're on mostly sand as well so digging is easy. SWMBO wanted a big garden and then we ended up with no time to do it as life got in the way for 10 years. So yes, it's a mission to get done but I now have loads of time. We ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Was about to pay someone else to do it as it's beyond me with a job but now ....
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#99 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Every cloud... :cry: We should start a gardening thread to rival the cyclists!

My brother and family are supposed to be coming over from NZ in July, but it's looking increasingly unlikely.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#100 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Your wish is my command -
In local news :
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#101 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Removed
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#102 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

simon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:47 pm Every cloud... :cry: We should start a gardening thread to rival the cyclists!
I enjoy gardening as well as cycling, although I only have small gardens to both front and rear of the house.

The house is on the side of a hill and we have a semi-buried garage in the back garden on top of which we have a nice south-facing roof terrace - I need to make that more attractive this year though the Wisteria on the side of it looks as though its going to be very abundant this year.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#103 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Watching this:
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#104 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Ray P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 am The house is on the side of a hill and we have a semi-buried garage in the back garden on top of which we have a nice south-facing roof terrace - I need to make that more attractive this year though the Wisteria on the side of it looks as though its going to be very abundant this year.
Our garden is fairly shady because of so many mature oaks in the neighbourhood - we have three. Combined with sandy soil makes it dry shade so can be a bit challenging. Nowhere's full sun.

Wisteria can (and will) eat you out of house and home! I prune ours twice a year, and sometimes two or three times in summer as it can regrow so quickly. But a good display of blooms in spring is a sight to behold. The Japanese are masters of training to form flowering buds.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wisteri ... 60&bih=559
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#105 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Nice camelia Mark! Ours are just coming in to bloom.