what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#271 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm That's interesting. I must try 'Hendrix' strings. I wonder if that was what he really used.....
If they were, wouldn't they be all rusty by now? He sweated a bit I know, I've seen a picture.

HTH.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#272 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Silly boy! Go to the back of the class...... ooops!

Have you seen the documentary that extensively features Jimi playing at Woodstock. Not the Woodstock film itself but one the name of which I've forgotten. It was on the telly last year and is totally brilliant if you want to watch his wonderful fluidity etc etc.

I'd love to get hold of the video but I've looked and drawn a blank.

Today I take Fender US standard strat pickups off a Fender US Standard (2007) Strat and fit Fender Custom Shop Texas Special p/ups. The story suggests that the Custom Shop made these up for SRV but sadly he died before he could showcase them

I have tried the dead cheap, relatively, Fender tex mex pickups and I like them. Bit clanky bit hollow imho but the custom shop tex specs are something else. I'd like to compare the two directly but as Jack the Lad would say, '...vita brevis'.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#273 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Dave the bass »

Nope. I haven't seen that Woodstock documentary, I'd like to by the sounds of it.

I'll keep an eye on poo tube, it might crop up on there.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#274 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am
I'll keep an eye on poo tube, it might crop up on there.
Reminds me of the Bristol stool scale. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#275 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I've repaired the longest half (or 2/3) of the severed extension lead and am now cutting the top of my front side hedge. Hot work, standing on my trusty Black and Decker workmate.

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#276 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

couple of days work to do, i made myself a new rack from two huge 6'6" x 3' deep old desks i was given. i actually have four, one is earmarked for mi dad when he gets round to sorting out his 'hobby room' (shithole), the other, i don't know yet....

one top, the other is identical with a hardwood half round edge on both sides

ImageA huge hifi and record rack made from 2 old desks by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

cut in half and to length with the circular saw.

ImageA huge hifi and record rack made from 2 old desks by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

second one done

sides were cut from the 2 original sides of one desk

lopped down to the correct dimensions

and assembled with shelf bracing made from the other 2 desk sides put in to bear the weight of all the lps

and in place and filled with stuff.

ImageBig rack thing by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

The desks are all 25mm high density chipboard with a real wood santos rosewood veneer, the bloody thing weighs much more than i do, there is however, space for 4 turntables. note the space between the lenco and the jvc. wonder what could fit in there.......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
rowuk
Old Hand

#277 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by rowuk »

I can still go to work every day. On the weekend, I play my trumpet in front of nursing homes as the "inmates" can't go to church. They get folk tunes about springtime and a couple of church tunes for the time after Easter and before Pentecost. I am working on my new speakers (strong tendency for open back like Doppenbergs Orelino), but progress is very slow. I will have more time in May.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#278 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Crikey, It's a doozy !
I thought I'd done OK scraping moss off the cellar steps today.

You've even got some toilet paper there to wipe off the tears of joy when you look at the workmanship on your turntables.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#279 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

Nice recycling, Ant! Looks so good it’s mega shoddy :mrgreen:
Ant
Shed dweller

#280 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Ta guys, took some lateral thinking to cut all the bits so that they had the veneered edges showing. I'd rather have not had to screw the top on with the screws showing, but predictably I've lost the 4mm pilot insert for my pocket hole jig..... The one's to drill the pocket channel were there but no pilot. Oh well, they are covered up by the equipment anyway.
I'm running out of things to build to keep myself entertained. And materials for that matter
IslandPink wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm You've even got some toilet paper there to wipe off the tears of joy when you look at the workmanship on your turntables.
That kitchen roll is there for lining the bottom of the red box next to the rack, which has quails in it. the wife hatched these particular ones in a little incubator about 2 weeks ago, (it's her most recent 'thing'...... In not about to argue) they have to stay indoors until they get their full feathers. They were in the red box with a heat plate in there that is set up on legs so it radiates heat downward to keep them warm. They have now been moved out of that box into the next one which is larger, still in the house, but no heat plate. They will have their feathers in in about 2 or 3 weeks and can then go outside in the shed. Lovely little things to keep actually, each one is very characterful so I'm not too bothered.
Never kept birds before but it's nice to have them.
There are another 2 sets totalling about 12 birds that she hatched in the same way, that are now in the shed, we are getting quite a few little eggs which are really tasty, even though it does take a week to get enough for an omlette :D
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#281 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

That looks a fantastic upgrade for your records and players. You must be chuffed with the result!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#282 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Excellent job Ant.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#283 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

11/10 for the upcycling - really nice job
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#284 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Yesterday we went on a different walk, part of it alongside the river Stour on the Essex / Suffolk borders. The sun was shining, and we really enjoyed the countryside. We did about 4 miles.

This morning I finished off the CRV back bumper, I had to order a few captive nuts and they came on Saturday. Also got the Dyson out and vacuumed the car.

As the rest of the week is likely cool and wet, I'm looking (once more) at my 811a in A2 with powerdrive project. It's been dormant for a couple of years, so overdue for some action. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#285 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Another job that I have been avoiding is now done. :D

I purchased some LED bulbs for the CRV rear tail light and reversing lights, and did those a while ago. I got a few more of the 5W capless bulbs (501) so I could do the front side, or parking lights, as they were (like me LOL) a bit dim.

Now, they are difficult to access due to very limited room, but I managed to get it done without too much skin damage, and now they look a lot brighter. If I remember I'll check after dark. When I fitted the first one it didn't work, but then I realised they have to be in the right way, so best to have the sidelights on when fitting those LED bulbs.

One of the old bulbs, although working, had almost black glass, so no wonder it was dim.

Edmund Burke