what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#106 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

simon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm Wisteria can (and will) eat you out of house and home!
We've got one of the smaller varieties for that very reason and the growth is quite manageable though the price is smaller flower panicles (but still beautiful). I don't remember the variety off-hand - would need to check.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#107 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:48 pm
simon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:37 pm You need compost bins Phil :D
Yes, but no.

Thing is, I don't grow anything, so what would I do with the compost ?

Suggestions please. :lol:
Is there an allotment nearby, something like that? They could have it.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#108 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Made a MONSTER potato cannon with #2 son (the other engineer)... :) It's his cannon and his design.

Shot a tennis ball so high it took 7 seconds to come back down :evil: :)

Fuel/air mix (Treseme hair spray) and a piezo igniter from a BBQ lighter.

Tried to video it - sound is awesome but the tennis ball is so small it doesn't show up. Video is OK though!

Gave the buzzards circling in the thermals over the hill something to worry about...
Last edited by jack on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#109 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 pm Made a MONSTER potato cannon with £2 son (the other engineer)... :)

You had to buy a son ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#110 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:06 pm
jack wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 pm Made a MONSTER potato cannon with £2 son (the other engineer)... :)
You had to buy a son ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep. Already had one but needed a spare (hoarding really).

SWMBO says we have to stop firing the cannon as the pets are wetting themselves...

Plus we've run out of tennis balls...

It does sound completely awesome though 😎
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#111 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You'll be using spare son and or pets next...

Seven seconds, how far up (& down) is that?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#112 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 pm You'll be using spare son and or pets next...

60m up (I cheated https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/free-fall)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#113 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

are you working on the premise that it was a 3.5 second journey each way?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#114 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Based on the imprecise information available, Nick arguably only specified the time it took to come back down, not how long it took to go up,
jack wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 pmShot a tennis ball so high it took 7 seconds to come back down
the zenith of the trajectory was at a height of 240m according to the calculator, and that's not considering the atmosphere the ball is travelling through.

More information required to properly calculate the trajectory.
Nick
Site Admin

#115 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Shot a tennis ball so high it took 7 seconds to come back down
I am rather sure that this slight imprecise sentence is describing the total flight time not only the time it was travelling towards the ground. It also seemed for the purposes here valid to ignore drag, in which case the time up would equal the time down. Therefore I found the distance a mass would travel if dropped for 3.5 seconds.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#116 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm Based on the imprecise information available, Nick arguably only specified the time it took to come back down, not how long it took to go up,
Nick's post came after Andrew's, which included :
so given that sequence of posts why would he 'arguably' specify only the time it took to come down?

I ask because it's plain to me that the tennis ball would be subject to extreme initial acceleration and would not be constrained by terminal velocity, whereas the return journey would commence with sedate initial acceleration and be subject to terminal velocity, what with all the atmospheric interference messing with the suck of gravity. For some reason I rather thought the return journey would not be quite the same as the outward journey......and I thought Nick may have considered this, or maybe not, hence my question.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#117 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

You are correct Ed, I regarded Nick's estimate as a first-order approximation... what do we do for the 2nd-order correction ? :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#118 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Total flight time from launch via re-entry to touchdown = approximately 7 seconds.

Projectile was a carefully aged (the dog chewed it) tennis ball with a worn nap (and probably residual dried drool), so fairly high drag coefficient (but not as high a a new ball). All propellant charges were standard 3-second TRESemmé Botanique Natural Hold fuel/air mix.

Launch trajectory was pretty much vertical, though the wind (from the SW @ 8km/h) caused descent horizontal drift and consequential unplanned impact on a neighbour's roof.

Must find a way to upload the video though that is for a 5 second, sub-orbital, flight but you can see the muzzle flash. Again, into a neighbour's... Other trajectories included low elevation, low vertex, i.e. flatter trajectory launches to the West but in each case the projectile cleared the lawns and main house before being lost in the distance and the valley below...
Ray P

#119 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:56 pm so given that sequence of posts why would he 'arguably' specify only the time it took to come down?
Ed, there are two Nicks in the conversation,Nick and Jack(aka Nick). I was referring to Jack's words which can be read as saying he only timed the descent. I actually appreciated that it was the imprecision of the language and it was almost certainly a 7sec round trip but sometimes it can be a little fun to be pedantic - don't take it to seriously.

I'm with you though on whether it is likely to be 3.5sec up and 3.5sec down as the initial acceleration at launch may well be greater than the acceleration on the way down, and with a faster object drag will have a greater influence. It's not just drag though, any wind will modify the trajectory too.

Anyway, the whole cannon thing sounds like a heap of fun.
ed
retired

#120 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:54 am don't take it to seriously.
snigger