Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Neal
Shed dweller

#196 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Neal »

Let’s put some figures on this for those who think it’s just another virus and blown out of all proportion. UK annual death rate sits around 600k. The deaths due to covid-19 are approaching 2k already. Ok you can rightly argue that it is taking those people who would have died of other causes but this misses the rapid rise in deaths this virus is causing, as Nick points out in his PSU analogy. It also misses the point that a large % of those deaths would have been prevented without covid-19 and its potential to rapidly scale unlike influenza.

One projection is a death rate of 10k for covid-19 alone with the current measures in place, if you don’t find this figures worrying or frightening then I fear there is something wrong with you.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#197 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#198 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hold on, that's the silly one. Not the intended one...
which wont copy for some dark conspiracy theory sort of reason
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#199 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 am Hold on, that's the silly one. Not the intended one...
Hanlon's razor
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#200 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You calling me stupid, squire ( howls of derisive laughter)!!!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#201 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I had to look Hanlon's Razor up, I did learning today. Thank you both.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#202 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

You're all feeding the troll 🤦
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#203 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As the doors in The Heart of Gold in HHGTTG would murmur, 'glad to be of service.'
andrew Ivimey

#204 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As the doors in The Heart of Gold in HHGTTG would murmur, 'glad to be of service.'

Troll? Now I am stupid. What on earth do you mean!?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#205 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am
andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 am Hold on, that's the silly one. Not the intended one...
Hanlon's razor
I had to look it up as well. It is apt. :wink:

In simpler words: some bad things happen not because of people having bad intentions, but because they did not think it through properly.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#206 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I didnt look it up. I dont understand what Jack is saying. Troll?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#207 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 am I didnt look it up. I dont understand what Jack is saying. Troll?
I took it to mean that David was the troll, and replying to his post was the feeding.

I could be wrong though, it has happened before. :roll:

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker

#208 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 pm
FFS its impossible to get away from this shit, there are so many thing about this that are totally wrong.
Yes, I agree, there are many things you go on to say are wrong.
Look how many people die each year from flu and similar virus's plus add the ones that have hardly any immune system left and its been totally blown out of all proportions.
The important thing in that sentence is "each year". Comparing two numbers and saying one is bigger than the other so its ok when one is over a year and one a month, is at best stupid. I make more than 300 power supplies for you in a year, being asked to make the same number in a month would be problematic. Also, the deaths due to flu haven’t stopped, they are still going on and taking up the NHS's resources. Remember how the NHS runs ouyt of beds each year without the extra stress of this extra virus.
Charlie never had it, Boris neither its just bollox, lets show the public we can get it and survive, pirk them up a bit.
I have no idea what you base that idea on, probably one of your daft acquaintances. Or as I said before, is that what you think is true, or what you want to be true. If you are going to follow up on your plan to catch it, then let me know and I will keep well away for the near future.
Fully agree with you Nick. Everyone should try not to catch this from what I experienced. Im not watching any of the conspirary theory stuff that people i know link lal the time. Its done David Ikes resurgence no harm!

Sometimes what is happening in the country and people who sya they have it politician of which ever party or not, Yes I fully believe they have it and I fully believe when there are 8000 (for example) known cases nationwide there are really 250,000 that could infect you. Because the rate of growth is much faster that the puny stats about numbers predict. Simple answer, they dont have the data. Majority of population untested and not counted in the stats, but high quantities of such people definately have it. Trust noone.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#209 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Paul Barker »

Im now calling recovery. gradual yesterday but certain today. Biggest identifier is secondary respiration so much better. Still got throat tickle and cough but the breathing I do is yielding the resultant secondary respiration (celular exchange of oxygen for carbon dioxide).

So its 16 days in and recovery started strongly enough to call it.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#210 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm Im now calling recovery. gradual yesterday but certain today. Biggest identifier is secondary respiration so much better. Still got throat tickle and cough but the breathing I do is yielding the resultant secondary respiration (celular exchange of oxygen for carbon dioxide).

So its 16 days in and recovery started strongly enough to call it.
It's good to hear that Paul. :D

Edmund Burke