Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#286 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

On a Thursday (Jeans day off) we go out together for our walk, but most other days I go out alone, and after dark, usually after 22:00.

I had to move the car earlier, and it was sluggish starting, so now I have the battery on charge. Don't know when it will get used next, but I want to be ready in case my 93 year old Mum needs urgent help. So far she's coping with help from more local people.

Not been outside much today, but had an hour in the front garden cutting the hedge. Said hello (from the required distance :wink: ) to several walkers and a couple of cyclists as they passed by.

One thing I really miss is my bi-weekly walks with friends, but we all realise that staying at home is for the greater good of everyone in the country.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#287 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 pm Those of you in the living in the countryside don’t know how lucky you are at the moment. :)
Indeed Steve, but the nearest shop to me is the Coop in Clare (Suffolk) which is 3.5 miles away, and the nearest proper supermarket is about 8 miles. Fortunately Jean works (as a carer) in the Sudbury area so can get shopping there.

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#288 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Greg »

As the Government (Matt Hancock last week during a daily briefing) and the Police have advised that it is acceptable to travel in your car a reasonable distance in order to go for a walk, all you need to do John is drive to your grandchildren’s house where they can watch you through their window whilst you get your exercise in their street. Job done and you are complying with the rules.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#289 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

So, what is a "reasonable" distance ?

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#290 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Greg »

Distance wasn’t specified in the advice. A drive of ten minutes was suggested as reasonable.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#291 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 pm So, what is a "reasonable" distance ?
Difficult. The guidelines are do exercise locally to your residence if you possibly can - doing a completely unnecessary trip to walk up and down so someone else can see you is most certainly (IMHO) not in the spirit (or probably the letter) of the rules. It's taking the mick.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#292 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:39 pm
pre65 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 pm So, what is a "reasonable" distance ?
Difficult. The guidelines are do exercise locally to your residence if you possibly can - doing a completely unnecessary trip to walk up and down so someone else can see you is most certainly (IMHO) not in the spirit (or probably the letter) of the rules. It's taking the mick.
I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Edmund Burke

JohnG
Old Hand

#293 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by JohnG »

Hi Greg, Thank you for your empathy, and understanding the true value to a person in sharing a moment from a distance with a loved one.

I read the supplied link for the first time today, and the link extract makes it very clear as to what is required,
WHEN DOING THIS " YOU MUST " MINIMISE THE TIME YOU ARE OUT OF THE HOME !!!

I am yet to attempt to make any plans for my ALLOWED EXERCISE, be it Walk, Run, Cycle.
I have been doing my best to keep myself out of the close contact with others in the community, which I seem to be on top of at present.

When I do get around to making a Plan to participate in my ALLOWED EXERCISE, it will address completely my new found information, and I will certainly be making sure that the 'you must minimise the tie you are out of your home' is being met.

If I choose to Run, it will not be a Marathon or a Half Marathon, If I choose to Cycle, it will not be a Marathon or Half Marathon Distance.
Either of the above if undertaken by me will be very close in a distance to what I would be considering a healthy walk,
so about 1.5 - 3 miles, would be the maximum, as part of a support to do the minimum,
and definitely not believed to be a DAILY ALLOWANCE, more like when required.

How this very clear instruction "MUST" is being addressed by heading out for multiple extensive 20 Mile Cycles in a Week,
or how looking into gaining a permission to use a Motor Bike, and openly declaring a intention to deliberately use such a permission if acquired, to make extended/ excursions to a A to B route for the sake of increasing the pleasurable side of the experience,
is addressing this clear Instruction, is very easy to see it is not !!

3. Can I walk my dog / look after my horse?
Yes – provided it is alone or with members of your household.

People must stay at home as much as possible to reduce the spread of the virus. But you can also still go outside once a day for a walk, run, cycle. When doing this you must minimise the time you are out of your home and stay at least two metres away from anyone else that isn’t from your household.

Ali, I fully feel your discontent, and was in the thick of the situation on a Project with 700 People, until the 24-03-20.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#294 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

John, how dare you preach to any of us about what can be done. :shock: It's just not on considering what you did.

Personally, you are way off, because even if the authorities sanctioned the use of my motorcycle I won't be able to use it.(for several reasons).

This whole discussion was triggered by something YOU actually did, and you seem proud of that fact. Bad form old chap.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#295 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

I checked with a policeman (on a horse, no less!) that what I was doing was perfectly within the rules - cycling a circular route from home to home, on my own - as any decent cyclist knows, 20 or 30 miles is a short outing.

I wonder what the police (or a nurse or a doctor) would make of a jolly to wave to the grandkids?
Last edited by jack on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#296 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

Breaking news.

Boris Johnson has been taken to intensive care. :(

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#297 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Greg »

So, looking at the various replies, it is clear that my original point (of this being new legislation which has not yet been tested in the courts to create the necessary case law) is valid because you are all expressing opinion based on your own individual interpretation. Even the consulted police officer is expressing either a personal opinion or probably a corporate one in accordance with his official (can only be opinionated) brief. Remember, we have the legislation which has been followed up by some not lawfully binding advise and suggestion from the government particularly because the legislation has thrown up several ambiguities which case law normally sorts out. In the meantime, I cannot see the difference between driving for ten minutes to a location for exercise and to walk the dog and driving for ten minutes to a location for exercise and at the same time, wave at the grandchildren. Both examples are permitted under both the legislation and the subsequent advice, and provided the distancing rules are adhered to, both meet the accommodation of benefit to overall health which includes the very important mental health. There is no doubt that breaking a regular contact between family members used to regular association will impact mental health. I know, because it is effecting me at present with loss of regular contact with my children and grandchildren. Many of you must also be in this situation.

Interpret the legislation however you wish, giving regard to other guidance that has been offered, but please stop trying to impose your personal interpretation in such a fundamental and evangelical manner on others. How you see it might be right for you but not necessarily for others, and until legally tested, we will have to wait for what is officially right.
Last edited by Greg on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnG
Old Hand

#298 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by JohnG »

Thank you for that Greg.
My interpretation until reading the recent posted on here Government Guideline, has been to stay at home, as all the authorities involved are begging for this to be done by all, on TV coverage.

Tomorrow will be day 15 of remaining on my property, with a 1 hourish excursion from my property taking place on Sunday.
I am unapologetic for my commitment to achieving this discipline.
With the recent reading of the Government Guidelines made available in this thread,
I am now more aware of the absolute instruction to spend a minimum time from my property, which as a fit and healthy individual, I am happily sacrificing the pursuit of ALLOWED exercise, with the sole intention being to achieve a behaviour that will be seen as in full support of the requirements.

I have been reduced in a daily 12000-20000 step routine, down to a few hundred steps in a day.
Any activities I will be choosing to take part in as part of a ALLOWED activity will be a last resort,
I will work with what I have at hand, and not be quick to take up my entitlement be 'at large'.

This is for one reason only, all involved in this frontline fight are pleading for the population to 'Stay at Home'.
I have little concerns about how I will be complying, I seem to have 99% nailed it, and there is little to suggest my 1% failing is a infringement, if your description is a compliant allowance for a use of a car.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#299 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

pre65 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:20 pm Breaking news.
Boris Johnson has been taken to intensive care. :(
I sent an email to my GP friend about 5pm yesterday saying things didn't look good, as he's had a fever for over a week. This is commonly seen as a prelude to getting pneumonia. I felt the government were in a well-intentioned cover-up over Boris. Two hours later he had to go to hospital.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#300 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!