Squeeze box down!

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ummmm two simple questions....

What's the alternative to a squueezebox, when one conks out?

Can I use a squeezebox without with fi if a usb stick has the operating system and flacs all installed?

I hope there is no third question.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#2 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:31 am Ummmm two simple questions....

Can I use a squeezebox without with fi if a usb stick has the operating system and flacs all installed?

I hope there is no third question.
question 1: I used a beaglebone with a usb dac when mine died and then upgraded to a pi....I had a spare usb dac so it was painless
question 2: I don't understand, sorry.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:31 am Ummmm two simple questions....

What do you mean by conked out?
Is it the original PSU? If so the PSU might be gefuckedenhausen, so try a different 5vdc PSU.
andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:31 amCan I use a squeezebox without with fi if a usb stick has the operating system and flacs all installed?
There is an embedded server on the Squeezebox Touch, although it's not very good at handling large libraries on USB.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

#4 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've thought if a third......

Okay ta, you two.

It isn't the power supply. Just totally dead.

Imagine a world without wifi ... ( bloody speelchecker) aaaarrrggggghhhhh. Will a squeeze box work without wifi. I appreciate the xbox doesn't like large usb files. ?????
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh for God's sake. Xbox = sbox.....

Third question then. Having been granted access to my shed ( amazing what's in there) I pulled out a digi TDSsomething amp board, cheap from china.

It sounds not half bad but a little harsh to my ears. Is there a way of calming down ( zobel??) The harsh gritty vicious ring to the sound output, please?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by IslandPink »

Power supply as a first guess - what is it using currently ?
I was talking to Nick about this recently, re. my 7297 one. Those class D amps put a lot of varying demand on the PS. Can you concoct an old-school CRC or CLC power supply to give the 12 or 15V ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#7 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by vinylnvalves »

I changed over to Dalphile a year or so back. The arrangement I chose, using a plug computer was a sonic upgrade over my modified touch. I run i2s into my DSP preamp via an Amanero board. Following the settings in this article made a big difference. http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-Dandy_st ... aphile.htm

The another streamer I have heard is https://stordiau.com/collections/gear/Phasure There is a thread on the phasure forum to convert any PC into music player. Need an in-depth knowledge of windows operating system to switch all the Microsoft stuff you don’t want, which apparently affects the sound.
andrew Ivimey

#8 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, old fashioned power supply; of course, I'll give it a go. Cheers Mark.

Ummmm when I said replacement for Squeezebox I meant simple. I do not understand raspberry Pies unless I'm eating one and I want small and not laptop size, shape,looks or smell.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#9 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Ali Tait »

andrew Ivimey

#10 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hi Ali, that is a simple solution but it is only putting off the evil hour.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#11 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Thermionic Idler »

vinylnvalves wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:08 pm I changed over to Dalphile a year or so back.
Same here, Daphile really has a lot to recommend it. We've done away with the physical CD player now and just have the server.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
andrew Ivimey

#12 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay, I shall look into Daphile......

In the meantime, looking for analogue psu bits I've found a couple of 'gainclone' modules .... and a pair of Pass somethingorothers involving the number 3... alephs? so I've got quite a lot to be playing with.

And my aged WAD 2 preamp, venerable workhorse hard wired with no cad in the cathode bias has gone conked; first obvious ness is the ni- cad which had leaked all yucky crystalline gunk....
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 pm
And my aged WAD 2 preamp, venerable workhorse hard wired with no cad in the cathode bias has gone conked; first obvious ness is the ni- cad which had leaked all yucky crystalline gunk....
Easy enough to go back to a cathode resistor ?

Squeezebox is ace, I dread mine "conking out".

Well done on getting in the "shed", must be a gold mine of old projects and bits/pieces. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#14 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Very easy....
cant remembercthe values 1.9k / 100mfd , could work it out but somewhere, I will have the old WAD schematic, somewhere.
Then get it up and.....then try led bias, then try modern ni- whatever they are. All experiments.
andrew Ivimey

#15 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh and... Daphile looks easy enough. First acquire a p.c. that can just stand alone. Thinks... will the Virtexbox be compatible???