Need ideas - workshop floor covering...

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Need ideas - workshop floor covering...

Post by jack »

Hmmm...

The new workshop floor is made of water-resistant P5 22mm T&G board with an area of 3.1 x 6.2 mtrs. I've taken out the partition wall, so there are now two rooms - the big new one and another one of 3.1 x 3.1 mtrs which has a solid floor. The P5 will be glued all round and to the joists as well, plus being screwed to the new joists. It'll be very very solid...

My question is what to put on the floor... industrial carpet is nice in that it is good underfoot and with underlay it helps retain some heat, but I'd appreciate suggestions as to alternatives. Chipboard on its own is not a great workshop surface as it breaks up a bit...

About 1/3rd of the space will be office, the rest workshop... to keep dust out of the office area I was considering a heavy curtain made out of similar stuff to decent groundshets.

Also have found a product called WaterTite from Zinsser which looks like it'll solve the penetrating damp issue. They have great adverts based on the Kray twins - worth a look :)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Greg
Social outcast

#2 Re: Need ideas - workshop floor covering...

Post by Greg »

I’d have a look at the plastic interlocking panels generally available. There are loads of them. This link by way of example.
https://shop.mototile.com/black-diamond ... -490-p.asp

Do a google for plenty more examples.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3 Re: Need ideas - workshop floor covering...

Post by Ray P »

That Zinsser WaterTite paint looks interesing.

My garage is half-buried (we live on a hill and the garage is cut into the slope) and I have some damp patches where the external tanking seems to be leaking so I may give it a go - only problem is the amount of 'stuff' in the garage and it would be a major job to clear enough space to be able to paint the concrete block walls.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#4 Re: Need ideas - workshop floor covering...

Post by izzy wizzy »

I don't know how much dust you intend to keep out of the office but I doubt a curtain will do it. A hermetically sealed room just might manage it as IME, dust get's everywhere and nothing I've seen short of taping a room shut stops it. Maybe a near air tight room with some form of positive pressure might do the trick.

Cheers,
Stephen
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Need ideas - workshop floor covering...

Post by simon »

Tend to agree with Stephen about dust. Best to deal with it at source if possible, but that in itself is a challenge. And it's the finer dust that's most harmful. I have a Record AC400 air filter which filters down to 1 micron to clean the air. It's pretty cheap compared to other makes and noise is okay.