Serendipidy

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Serendipidy

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Lovely word but....

For reasons that aren't important I've been lissnin' to mono recordings through only one speaker. Fascinating, clear, different, sharp and very interesting. So much so that switching over to stereo it is very enjoyable but mono/ single source ( rather than two source mono) is, well, preferable.

Now I haven't tried a stereo recording mixed down to just one channel/ speaker. I'd guess the magic dust might blow away.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Serendipidy

Post by IslandPink »

Are you a ghost or the prodigal son ?

Sounds like you're going down the Brian Clark route there - better get yourself a Lowther TP1 !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#3 Re: Serendipidy

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I couldn't be farther from Lowthernesses with this partic situation. 'Corse there's always oh you know that Japanese chap with Ongakus and things who, I'm told, makes a yummy mug of coffee.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Serendipidy

Post by Nick »

'Corse there's always
Not so always sadly.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Serendipidy

Post by IslandPink »

Sakuma ?
andrew Ivimey

#6 Re: Serendipidy

Post by andrew Ivimey »

always.... I have an inkling he's already dead, ho hum, sad.

still an inspiration to me though and I'm intrigued by this single source sound format I.e. mono.

I think I'll knock up a mono amp with a vt4c ( I have a few), just to see. Looks will help and one thoriated valve appeals.... one speaker, Heil or Tannoy in the corner also appeals.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Serendipidy

Post by Mike H »

I did for a long time listen to mono radio so I think I know what you mean. :D I stopped fussing about getting stereo to sound right long ago. :D Where I normally sit relative to the speakers it sounds mostly like mono anyway. If I want a more pure stereo "experience" I invariably need to reach for the headphones.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Serendipidy

Post by Cressy Snr »

Mike H wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:35 pm .....Where I normally sit relative to the speakers it sounds mostly like mono anyway.
I’m a bit like that. I sit to the left, outside of the field of the speakers. I don’t even face them. Couldn’t give a monkeys about stereo. The only time I sit between the speakers is when evaluating the effect of some change I have made to the system. This uncaring attitude re stereo is why I like room filling semi omni speakers so much. The up-firing Mets I built and the NVA cubes I had at home for a while still do it for me. However both these are now way too inefficient for my single ended OTL and I sure as hell ain’t giving up that amplification mode for anyone or anything. :flower:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Serendipidy

Post by Mike H »

Quite understandable. :D I also have a "thing" going on with my right ear which is less senstive to sound level than the left, so even with headphones the centre-stage is somewhat offset to the left. BUT, it is too sensitive to loud levels so trying to compensate for the imbalance by increasing the volume on the right makes this ear "shut down" and if too severe it can start doing the tinitus thing. I.e. has a proper sulk.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Serendipidy

Post by IslandPink »

A noble pursuit, Andrew, please keep us posted.
My comments re. Brian Clark ( in Essex ) were because he settled on a single Lowther TP1 corner horn ( with the PM2A ) in his last few years, listening to Jazz records via a Garrard 301, Denon or SPU cartridge and... I forget what the amps were !
andrew Ivimey

#11 Re: Serendipidy

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I was lissnin' to Art Blakey last night. Jazz is a huge category and the bigger the band the less I like it. I still remember a session back in the mists of time when I realised the magic of (a) Lowther(s), a decent cabinet, and jazzzz. But there's much more to music than even the wider shores of this particular idiom.

I'm off to Malvern in a moment but I'm still thinking...
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#12 Re: Serendipidy

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 pm A noble pursuit, Andrew, please keep us posted.
My comments re. Brian Clark ( in Essex ) were because he settled on a single Lowther TP1 corner horn ( with the PM2A ) in his last few years, listening to Jazz records via a Garrard 301, Denon or SPU cartridge and... I forget what the amps were !
6C45 spud for ages as he was into one of everything. Can't remember if it evolved.
andrew Ivimey

#13 Re: Serendipidy

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Neat coincidence, I've already decided to use a 6s45 to drive the vt4c.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#14 Re: Serendipidy

Post by izzy wizzy »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:03 am Neat coincidence, I've already decided to use a 6s45 to drive the vt4c.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050306025 ... usica.com/ Here it is
andrew Ivimey

#15 Re: Serendipidy

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That diag. looks vaguely familiar!