Noise cancelling headphones

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Noise cancelling headphones

Post by IslandPink »

I'm currently looking around at options on noise-cancelling headphones for work.
I would prefer it if they could cure the noise problem at source, and give everyone a break, but there you go.
Maybe some of you have used these or bought recently ?
My main requirements are an input from 3.5mm jack so I can listen to a radio , plus I'd like the noise-cancelling action to run off USB if poss, to save using batteries.
Sound quality doesn't need to be great, but always nice to have.
I'm not overly bothered about cost as these can be charged to the company, but maybe £250 for Sony ones would be a bit over the top.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Noise cancelling headphones

Post by simon »

No great experience though I've had a pair for maybe 10 years, and noise cancelling transforms aeroplane flights.

Got the missus a pair of Sennheiser 4.50BTNC last summer for a long flight and they seem pretty good. Bluetooth and wired so you can choose, and charges via USB IIRC. Sound pretty good I seem to recall. About £140 I think.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Noise cancelling headphones

Post by jack »

Likewise - I was doing a lot of long haul flights and a while ago got a pair of Mixcder E7 Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth headphones.

Been very pleased with them. They will run off internal Li batteries for well over 10 hours but have a microusb charge port, 3.5mm audio in and Bluetooth.

Comfortable for long duration use, pretty good sound, reasonably priced, good quality and very effective (on aircraft at least!). Still Amazon's choice in this bracket.

Ps. As I don't sleep much and invariably read or work for hours in the night, they're great for listening to music etc. in bed without disturbing your partner... Mine are paired with my mobile so I can use my Spotify playlists.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Noise cancelling headphones

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks for the input. In my case I need to cancel voices, as that's the main source of distraction in the office. I'm told there are different types , or not all models can cope with nulling voice noise ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Noise cancelling headphones

Post by simon »

Dunno.

I though the noise cancelling worked by microphones sampling the "background" noise and then feeding back into the headphones 180 degrees out of phase. If the technology is good enough I'm not sure why it wouldn't attenuate all noise???

I'm no expert though.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Noise cancelling headphones

Post by jack »

Some cancel everything, some don't.

I tested my ones with the TV. They were ok, but didn't stop everything - I do know that they almost completely block engine noise (the background roar) on aircraft as well as crying children...

I have others that I use for clay pigeon shooting - they block all the noise of the guns, but explicitly let voices through so folk can still talk to you.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt