Owston '19 what are you bringing

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#31 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Cressy Snr »

izzy wizzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm
But as far as I can make out, this is a "show and tell" kinda gig unlesss I'm missing something and if my show and tell is not the kind of thing that's acceptable, then I'm perfectly OK with not going.

Cheers,
Stephen
NO NO NO!
Your kind of gear is exactly what’s needed at Owston. There has been a shortage of Frankenstein equipment recently. :)
Your amps and phono will complement wonderfully Thomas’ “Tower of Power” setup if he brings it. Now Nick has the HSE/COSHH certified spillage kit then go for it!
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#32 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes seconded, please bring your kit, nowt like the glow of an MV. :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by pre65 »

Yes Stephen, please bring the "monster" for our delectation. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#34 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by ed »

I don't have anything new so thought I might bring some 10 year old + relics out of storage....
a balanced srpp 2A3 and either ariel 6 or a pair of vofos(if it all still works and the caps don't explode)
I'm curious to see how far the bar has been lifted in the last 10 or 15 years
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Mike H »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:37 pm Now Nick has the HSE/COSHH certified spillage kit then go for it!
OK fairy nuff. I'm not an expert by any means, so if such things exist ...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Cressy Snr »

Mike H wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:08 pm OK fairy nuff. I'm not an expert by any means, so if such things exist ...
Link:

Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by IslandPink »

ed wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:40 pm ariel 6
Those with Stephen's amp would be a nice combo.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by IslandPink »

chris661 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am Mark, my PA speakers are bi-amped. It'd be easy to run my amps for the mids and yours for the HF - it's an 18Sound ND1460, which is a pretty nice compression driver. Sensitivity is well over 100dB@1w.
You'll need some kind of crossover on the input of your amp, though.
Hi Chris, my contribution this time will be the new tweeter amp, one Yuichi and ribbon, and cables. This to do some comparisons with OTL and maybe Nick's P6's. The OB pair is just short of being fully fettled and I must admit rather delicate to transport. At some stage I intend to bite the bullet and hire a van to bring both OB's, and the two amps and power supply that it takes to run the 'rig'. I will also need to find a local helper to load and unload the speakers on Friday/Sunday.
I will also bring the 'Nick DAC' and plenty of records.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#39 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 pm
simon wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 pm I imagine the risk from the mercury in our fillings is probably greater.
Well, no, 866's contain liquid mercury, which when running is in the form of vapor. However, if one broke while working, the drop in temperature and pressure would cause the vapor to become liquid again. In terms of risk, its similar to a broken mercury thermometer. However the issue is it being in a rented public space. The cleanup would be the same as a broken fluorescent tube. Or for that matter a mercury level switch or whetted contact relay.
Well, risk is usually considered to be the product of consequence x likelihood. You can play tunes on the scoring matrix, but in the case of breakage of MV rectifiers the consequence isn't great, but I think you could argue that the likelihood is very small considering we have yet to have a breakage at a meet.

OTOH, and it depends very much on one's view I guess, but with mercury amalgam fillings the dentist has to treat the material as hazardous, they can put it in your mouth and that's considered fine, but has to treat it as hazardous material again when it's removed. So my dentists told me a few years back anyway. Likelihood, well, the dental profession has been telling us for years there's minimal risk, but...

Anyway, I'm not meaning to stir anything up. Just I'd much rather have a mouth free of mercury and take my chances with a few hours of exposure to the potential risk of a bottle breakage. Just my opinion.
Nick
Site Admin

#40 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

the dentist has to treat the material as hazardous
But that’s due to a number of things, first the dentist and nurse is continuously in contact with them, also it may be that before they are "set" they are less safe, also its a place of work, so extra rules there. Finally the disposal will have its own set of rules. Part of the disposal kit I have just ordered is a marked container to store the waste so its not accidentally introduced into the standard waste stream and won't end up in landfill. I suspect Thomas may have some real info to this point. (and thinking about it, probably has suitable clean up kits anyway).

The consequence part of your risk calculation is mitigated by the presence of the clean-up kit, and the likelihood is reduced by putting the things in a box. So I think we have made the effort to meet the intent as well as the letter of the regulations.

As to if it matters or not, I agree it doesn't really, but if I was the owner of the hall I would be less than pleased to know we thought of the issue and ignored it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#41 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by izzy wizzy »

Thank you to everyone for putting the effort, material and intellectual, into all the aspects of this. The MVs will be in a box and you'd have to be determined to get at them.

In the atmosphere of full disclosure, another item banned these days is lead shot which I use in the TT motor pod but I can reassure everyone, I won't open it and let it into the environment.

Cheers,
Stephen
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#42 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Dave the bass »

Had anyone done a risk assessment on the ducking stool?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#43 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Ali Tait »

You’ll need to find a pen that works underwater. :D
thomas
Old Hand

#44 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by thomas »

Just seen this.....

I have a mercury spillage kit or two, I can bring one up. Although any risk of exposure is very slight, it's been identified and discussed so would be appropriate I think.

However, much more useful I think, as the rectifiers are already in a contained chassis, would be to put the chassis on a tin foil lined baking tray (yes really!). We do this with our amalgam mixers, it's standard practice.

Incidentally you can get magnitudes more mercury in your bloodstream (ie it's actually detectable) eating a can of tuna than you would from a setting amalgam filling, and once they are set they are basically 'stable', but that's a whole new debate!

As for safety issues...err...spurred on by the loan of DtB's Quads, my weedy 801a's Tower of Power has just morphed into a GK71 amp....the HT is about 665vdc. Funnily enough even I'm getting a few pangs of doubt bringing this beasty up as is....
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by pre65 »

thomas wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am
As for safety issues...err...spurred on by the loan of DtB's Quads, my weedy 801a's Tower of Power has just morphed into a GK71 amp....the HT is about 665vdc. Funnily enough even I'm getting a few pangs of doubt bringing this beasty up as is....
Resist those pangs dear boy, we need your amp, yes, we really do. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)