Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Subjects that don't have their own home
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#181 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by mainscablesrus »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:14 pm Capitals at dawn, is it ?
Its Bold dude not capitals, thats shouting and I don't do that LOL

If you are saying that a remarkable transformation occurred after I left on Saturday (think it was about 5pm) and suddenly all systems came to life then fair play.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#182 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by jack »

Well.

Peasant that I am, I liked it and learnt a lot

But then I'm thick and know nothing 😎
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#183 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by simon »

Well, I think it just proves how we all hear differently.

I've added some words to the photos now. Please, please if anyone has any corrections or would like to add detail let me know here or by PM.

https://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogs ... -2019.html

Oh, and I've added a couple of photos. Somehow the one of Stephen introducing his system was missed, and I added another to Thomas' section ;-).
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#184 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by IslandPink »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:24 pm Its Bold dude not capitals, thats shouting and I don't do that LOL
D'Oh !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#185 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Nick »

Its Bold dude not capitals, thats shouting and I don't do that LOL
Do you think he is being ironic with the shouted LOL at the end? No, I didn't think so either.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

#186 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by chris661 »

simon wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:46 pm Well, I think it just proves how we all hear differently.

I've added some words to the photos now. Please, please if anyone has any corrections or would like to add detail let me know here or by PM.

https://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogs ... -2019.html

Oh, and I've added a couple of photos. Somehow the one of Stephen introducing his system was missed, and I added another to Thomas' section ;-).
Thanks for the write-up, Simon.

FWIW, there wasn't much digital trickery going on. Here's a quick run-down of the system I demo'd:

- Laptop running Dante Virtual Soundcard to push a purely digital output to..
- A Powersoft T604 amplifier, which took care of the DSP: 24dB/octave Butterworth highpass on the Fostex mini-monitors @100Hz, same for the sub lowpass, plus some EQ to get the sub flatter in that small box. Into the impedances of those cabinets, that amp would be good for about 1.5KW/ch. I think that was probably key - ample headroom at the amplifier, even in that room. Of course, it normally runs my PA speakers where the multi-kilowatt levels come in handy.
- The Fostex mini-monitors used to be PM04s, but I got them in a job lot and it turned out they didn't have the plate amps. It took a couple of iterations of the crossover before the tweeter was happy (if it saw any power lower down, it'd make sure you knew), and I ended up with a 3rd order highpass, 2nd order low-pass at around 2.7kHz. The drivers in the Fostex monitors aren't anything special (cheapie stamped frame woofer and a basic 3/4" soft dome), so they were an exercise in "what can you get out of a box that small?" I happened to like the result enough to keep them around for a while.
- The 10" sub was £20 on eBay, pulled from a Tannoy TS10.

As I mentioned to a couple of people at the time, I've just taken delivery of a pair of Seas 8" aluminium coned woofers, and plan on mating them to a small-format compression driver with a crossover in the 1.2kHz region. Should be an interesting project.

Cheers,
Chris
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#187 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Mike H »

I too was very impressed by Stephen's (izzy wizzy) louvred panels, and is also why I couldn't make them look like the photos on the forum. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#188 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by simon »

Thanks Chris, I'll update the blog when I get chance.
SimonC
Old Hand

#189 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by SimonC »

Ray P wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:43 pm Simon (the other one) - did you collect your Emminence bass units that I left for you? Thanks for the loan.
Ray
Hi Ray,
Just caught up with this thread, yes I did thanks. They are now back to being a home for spiders in my wardrobe until I get round to building something with them...

Simon C