Black Gates

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Black Gates

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hello Boys! What does the Panel think ...?

I have quite a few gorgeous Black Gate capacitors which I intend to sell on eBay. At this moment what there is for sale seems to come from Russia or Romania though I have seen them in UK and USA.

But, and this is my question, are the rumours true that even Black Gates have been copied/pirated????!!!

My Black Gates are original, NOS and perfect, of course and I want to share in the ridiculously high prices such things seem to command but I realise that it is a wicked world in which we live and seek to avoid unnecessary hastle and tedium.

Your thoughts and facts are welcome!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Black Gates

Post by IslandPink »

I thought about selling a couple of unused 220+220/350 WKZ's , but decided I'd use them, one is going in the new tweeter amp. I think you could make a fair bit on anything like those - good luck. I wouldn't pay the going rate for the big power supply caps now.
You ought to let us know if you have any NH or NX ( red ones ) , I am very partial to them - maybe one or two others here.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Black Gates

Post by simon »

I have some 100+100 WKZs I'd quite happily convert in to the eye watering figures of cash I've seen people asking. That doesn't mean anyone's actually stumping up those sums.

But where there are things of value there are unscrupulous people.
JohnG
Old Hand

#4 Re: Black Gates

Post by JohnG »

Do your research into your selling methods on the items you wish to sell, check out through Google any Unscrupulous activities that can bite you through your lack of knowledge of these practices.
Don't let the smell of Big Bucks Cloud your Judgement !
You don't want to be Out of Blackgates, as well as Out of Pocket.
I was involved through a German Sales Portal over the Xmas Period with three attempted Scams, all the communication was as polite and encouraging as could be, until simple requests by me, were being avoided by the vendor, and they started dictating the sales terms, claiming they had done enough to satisfy the sales portal requirements, for all I know each scammer could have been the same person or group.
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Black Gates

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hi Mark, I'd forgotten about the red ones - I have a few somewhere, I think.

Hi Simon, it was the glorious wkzs I had in mind including a pair of 100 + 100 @ 600 volts - I have heard of fakes that look like Black Gates from the outside but inside are soldered lesser caps, a bit like Swiss watches bought from wily street vendors in the middle east after the 2ndWW war that ticked until the cockroach (inside) died! True? I wonder.

Hi John, you hint darkly at more than I might have had in mind and I'm afraid your hints remain only hints... I don't understand, apologies.

Has anyone heard of these fakes? It would be worthwhile faking such given the ridiculous prices ... I suppose I just have to assume this to be the case.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#6 Re: Black Gates

Post by Ali Tait »

Search completed sales on eBay for an idea. NOS pair of 100 +100uf 500v sold for just short of 1200 quid, so people are paying a lot of money..
andrew Ivimey

#7 Re: Black Gates

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yikes, Hi Ali, I had little more than a tenth of that price in mind... ponders....
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Black Gates

Post by IslandPink »

Hmm, wonder if I could make some changes to the new tweeter amp ....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Black Gates

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm Hello Boys! What does the Panel think ...?

But, and this is my question, are the rumours true that even Black Gates have been copied/pirated????!!!
Oh yes. Think how many appear to be for sale (I've seen photos where there seem to be dozens stacked high, and then there are dozensof photos like that), then how many were probably actually made? And, that people want to part with? Some years ago I saw a photo of one with the can cut open, revealing a lickle 20p consumer electrolytic inside. Total fake. I think the reason he did it was cos ii didn't seem right when in use. Was on Internet, can't remember where and don't think I have the photo. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

#10 Re: Black Gates

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh my! Hi Mike.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11 Re: Black Gates

Post by Ali Tait »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm Yikes, Hi Ali, I had little more than a tenth of that price in mind... ponders....
Even used single caps are selling for around 300 quid.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Black Gates

Post by IslandPink »

Cripes. I think my other unused 220+220/350v upstairs might make its way onto EBay once I get a seller profile.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Black Gates

Post by IslandPink »

£1700 ?
Just call me the Capacitor King ( I will wait my chance ...)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-End-Bla ... :rk:1:pf:0
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#14 Re: Black Gates

Post by izzy wizzy »

Reckon I might do some auditioning of other caps and sell mine on if even used ones get good money. They're good but not that good ... well from memory anyway.

Cheers,
Stephen