Tablet help.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#16 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Ant »

One tablet i like is the samsung galaxy tab A
We had several tablets which the kids broke before i stopped buying replacements and the tab a was the longest lasting one. 10.1" version is pretty good.
Had the first galaxy tab, then a tab 2. And then a tab a.

I use my phone for pretty much all internet actvity apart from the odd occasion when i used the mac mini for adding pics to posts as its a pain to use flickr on the phone, generating invoices although the tab a was fine for this as its big enough to type on and see what you are typing where the smaller ones keyboard took up too muck of the screen for my liking, and if i want to update my website i always use the mac.

Problem i have had is that they have all been relatively fragile, just being knocked off the chair arm resulted in the tab 2 resulted in a screen that the touch screen no longer worked on and have had crap charger ports.

But look after them and they are reliable and perfectly adequate for the vast majority of internet activity.

The ipad is about as good as it gets for a tablet but is just too much money for a new one, samsung or sony is what i would go for if i were to buy one, the xperia tablets are very too but abit pricey too
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Neal
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Neal »

Phil, in all honesty I think you’ll be wasting your money. Why do you want a tablet again? Do you really need 3G access? I use an iPad mini 2 and would recommend a refurbished one...I bought mine used a couple of years ago and it’s been great.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Tablet help.

Post by pre65 »

I know it's not a tablet, but my stone age mobile phone needs replacing and I was looking for a "modern" phone for under £100.

I saw a Samsung J5 J500F for £102.95, spec looks good, so are they OK ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Ant »

They are perfectly adequate, but don't get the one with 8gb internal memory, get the one with 16gb. Reason being that although you can add an SD card to get more storage via an SD card you may not be able to put apps on the SD card. The issue is that the os takes up a lot of space, I had this problem with an LG k8. The os took up most of the 8gb so it wouldn't let me put anything extra on it. It had just enough space to put bbc news on it and that was it. Couldn't put any of the apps I wanted to use such as the banking app I use, PayPal, ect. It was a pain In the arse and not fit for purpose for me.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Tablet help.

Post by pre65 »

I've been given a Samsung Galaxy tab-E. It was supposed to be non functional.

With the help of Google I've done a factory reset (as the password was unknown) and it seems to be working. :D

The Android system is 4.4.4 and seems to be up to date software update wise.

Is there a way to install a later version of Android ?

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Ant »

No the chipset in it isn't compatible with the newer versions, 4.4 is From around 2013 2014 ish

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Tablet help.

Post by pre65 »

Ant wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:11 pm No the chipset in it isn't compatible with the newer versions, 4.4 is From around 2013 2014 ish
Thanks Ant, one less thing to worry about.

Seems that 4.4 is not now compatible with some apps. :(

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Some apps? Luxury!...My iPhone 4 isn’t compatible with anything now! :lol: :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Mike H »

Yep this is how the b'st'ds force you to buy new ones .. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#25 Re: Tablet help.

Post by jack »

Bit unfair, that.

Android is not a Samsung product - it's not uncommon for very old hardware to be no longer supported after an os upgrade.

Android 4.4 (KitKat) is from 2013 - 6 years ago. The current version is 10. It's worlds apart.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#26 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Nick »

My iPhone 4 isn’t compatible with anything now!
It still talks to the phone network, wifi and gps I assume, so I would argue its compatible with the things that matter. In many cases application back support is down to the app writers and not the phone maker. They save time by spending only 20% of the time making an app that works on 80% of the phones in use.

There are many things I dislike about Apple, but they did spend years making sure x86 based macs could till run 68000 code.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Cressy Snr »

I’m not complaining. It makes phone calls and sends texts That’s all I want from a phone. :)
I have my iPad and Mac for the rest of the stuff.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Irene Idler
User

#28 Re: Tablet help.

Post by Irene Idler »

I too am in the market for an Android tablet now, but I'm having a hard time deciding how much power I actually need. Samsung is top of my list right now (though I could be persuaded to look elsewhere). The two I'm considering are the GalaxyTab A 10.1" and the GalaxyTab S5e 10.5". The former is much less expensive and it *seems* to me that it should do everything I need, but I don't want to buy something underpowered that needs replacing in a couple of years. The S5e is also thinner and lighter, which would suit my arthritic hands, and has more processing power, RAM, and a brighter, higher-res display.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing, reading e-books, and keeping track of grocery orders and recipes. Emails. A bit of writing and note-taking. Really basic games (think Solitaire, not Call of Duty).

All opinions welcome, but no, I'm probably not going to buy an iPad. Dave's is really nice but I'm stuck with Windows because the software I use for work is Windows-only and has been for so long that I barely remember how to use a Mac (I worked for Apple back in the day, too!), and using Apple products with Windows is always a bit of a faff.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
chris661
Shed dweller

#29 Re: Tablet help.

Post by chris661 »

FWIW, I run Windows machines and iPads. Works just fine, and hasn't been clunky for 5+ years.

It sounds like either tablet will do what you're after, though. The higher-end tablets are intended to be replacements for mid-spec laptops - it doesn't sound like you need that much power, so I think the cheaper one will be fine.

Chris
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Tablet help.

Post by pre65 »

On my tablet, I can't log on to Audio Talk using my normal user name and password. :cry:

Is there any reason why that should be ?

EDIT. Would being logged in on another computer make a difference ?

Edmund Burke