Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#1 Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by shane »

There are people on here who understand this stuff a lot better than I do. Is this really as worrying as it sounds?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -companies
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by Nick »

Yes and no I would say (not that that helps much). Generally, I don't think there is anything for us to worry about as there is nothing we can do about it. Unless of course you are in charge of a server farm, then its a worry, There are politics of course involved as well, as this is a good reason to not buy product from China which plays to the US' "build it here" ideal. But of course there is no reason to trust any side in this.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by jack »

Only governments and huge corporations like Google & Amazon etc. have the time, money and resources to analyse motherboards like this.

Do you check every board?

Interestingly, we take a lateral thinking approach - we can't analyse every (or any) motherboard, but having very very clever AI network analysis tools allows us to spot any anomalies that arise should we have a compromised system and it tries to call home. This analysis happens in real time and any suspect connection is instantly disconnected, 24/7/365...

Mind you, you are talking about tools that cost well over USD 100k/pa just for licensing...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by jack »

Btw, the short answer is that on a personal level, no.

But on a business level, especially if you're in a commercially or politically sensitive area, yes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by IslandPink »

Which our site is - MOD work including occasionally some secret stuff. Also plenty of commercially-sensitive design. I have circulated this story a little here so it can be taken up by anyone in IT or management who takes an interest.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by jack »

I'm happy to talk offline about detail around this, but its not for public consumption.
shane
Social outcast

#7 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by shane »

I see now that Apple and Amazon are flatly denying that the problem exists. Curiouser and curiouser.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#8 Re: Computer security issue. Should we be worried?

Post by mainscablesrus »

Motherboards can no longer be called that as its sexist

LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi