mobile woes and warnings

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 mobile woes and warnings

Post by ed »

I feel a rant coming on, they(mobiles) are the devil's work.....

I don't have a mobile but the mem sahib does. She has just passed her old one to my son for use as a tablet for games. Trouble is it runs android 6 and doesn't allow apps to be run from the sd card and no chance of upgrading(its an alcatel pop4)...oh waily.....so my eldest gave him a redundant moto e2. I spent all day yesterday rooting it and trying to upload a bespoke android 7 with twrp et al. Couldnt push the zip file through with adb as in recovery mode the pc couldn't see the mobile....eventually got the recovery menu up(the volume button is broken on the moto) and managed to upload the 7 image with adb sideload....

bearing in mind this has now taken me from about 9 am to 4 pm.....well, after some time the installation aborted with the message
'failed to verify, whole-file signature verification failed, installation aborted'

fortunately the original android 6 still boots.....but, on closer inspection the android 6 in the moto allows the sd card to become part of the internal memory, where the alcatel didn't. From all I read on the interweb the restriction was generic to all marshmallows...not so it seems...

this is a whole day of my life I will never get back...and as far as I can see there is no value to the experience...waily waily
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: mobile woes and warnings

Post by pre65 »

I use my Doro for the occasional phone call or text.

For that, it is simple to use, and only requires a weekly charge up.

Simples. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: mobile woes and warnings

Post by andrew Ivimey »

This sort of thing happens ( to me, anyway) .It is enormously frustrating stressful and I can get angry. All futile. I rationalise this sort if thing as it not actually being a waste.

I tried and didn't give up.
I thought hard about it and explored possibilities. This is good brain exercise.
I did not throw the device at the wall or hammer into dust, but I still have that choice.
I did my best and it's a pity I didn't win through this time but never mind.

There will be more challenges.
Time heals! - Onwards.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#4 Re: mobile woes and warnings

Post by ed »

snigger

I should have highlighted the fact that the whole exercise was unnecessary in the first place.....

the real lesson/experience is ...never trust what you read on the pesky interweb, and, on reflection, that might be valuable.
and and and, always double check before venturing into uncharted waters....here be dragons.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be