Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#31 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

How does it compare to Nicks mosfet monos ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#33 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

pre65 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:36 pm How does it compare to Nicks mosfet monos ?
Not really a fair comparison this costs £42,000
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

mainscablesrus wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm
pre65 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:36 pm How does it compare to Nicks mosfet monos ?
But, is more expensive necessarily better ?

More slurp (LOL) before anyone else says it. :wink: :lol:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

I read a report on the 711 amp, and it (the report) makes it sound quite special.

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.p ... -amplifier

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#36 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

mainscablesrus wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm
But it is a comparison I do want to make when you get the room sorted out if only to see what they are doing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#37 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

Yes I want to hear them both against each other for sure.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 pm
mainscablesrus wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:28 pm Image
65Kg !

https://soulution-audio.com/series7/sou ... amplifier/
Holy crap. :shock:

Used to carry 50kg of ballast in the sidecar when I first started so got an idea what that's like.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris661
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

After the meet at Steve's, I'll be bringing the big old Crown amp, the MA5002VZ. Weighs in at a measly 35kg IIRC, and put up a surprisingly good performance.
If anyone has some speakers that are difficult to drive, this'll do it.

I'm curious about the amplifier posted about further up - 150w/ch into 8ohm, and yet it'll also do over 6000w "peak" per channel..?
That doesn't add up, unless they've put 0.2ohm across it and measured the instantaneous current.
Something fishy going on there IMO.

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

#40 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

They may just have shorted the output and measured the peak current with a single sine burst.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#41 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by ed »

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but it looks like I'm the only one saying it.......

Isn't it a tad sad that we're moving away from the 'wing and a prayer' circuit and the soldering iron mentality. Nothing wrong with the current penchant for £40k off the shelf jobbies or the lesser commercial offerings, they offer great opportunity for comparison......I'm just missing the romance

waily

just sayin
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
chris661
Shed dweller

#42 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

I think you might be right there. Reminds me of Rod Elliott's post about PMPO ratings, which can be found here - http://sound.whsites.net/power.htm

You'd've thought that with all the technology they had available (and used), they might have be able to obtain 6000w/ch continuous, especially given all the talk about power and headroom. I mean, the top pro manufacturers are getting more than that from 1U chassis, and charging 1/10th the price for it.

Chris

Edit - Ed, I see your point. For me personally, it's live sound first, HiFi second. If a pro amp happens to be good for HiFi, I'll bring it along.
Nick
Site Admin

#43 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

chris661 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am I think you might be right there. Reminds me of Rod Elliott's post about PMPO ratings, which can be found here - http://sound.whsites.net/power.htm
Though of course shorting the output is always a risky thing to do even with no signal as it has the potential to remove the feedback loop from the amplifier leaving it open loop.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but it looks like I'm the only one saying it.......

Isn't it a tad sad that we're moving away from the 'wing and a prayer' circuit and the soldering iron mentality. Nothing wrong with the current penchant for £40k off the shelf jobbies or the lesser commercial offerings, they offer great opportunity for comparison......I'm just missing the romance

waily

just sayin
#ithinksotoo
but that's the way its going and has been for some time. It's great as a social occasion for like minded souls to meet up once a year and I wouldn't like to see it die, but the DIY fraternity will have to have little meets at each other's houses, if we want to compare notes. Meets at Steve's place are great and the one I had this weekend went down well with the three of us who were there.

Shame the scene among us has become fragmented over the years but that's the way it has gone unfortunately and I can't see any way back except a blanket ban on commercial amps and speakers.

How that would go down is anyone's guess. I suspect we wouldn't get enough people turning up to justify forking out for the facilities.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

One reason for the archetypal 50 grand amp presence, might be to keep the unwashed DIY plebs firmly in their place, just so they continue to be reminded where exactly in the pecking order they really are.

"The high end is a different world sunshine just so you know"
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.