ftp music download glitch

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 ftp music download glitch

Post by ed »

interesting little diversion yesterday which may be of interest in these quiet times.

I downloaded an album in 24bit/192k flac using filezilla. There was a glitch in the transfer as filezilla unhitched from the server, but subsequently reconnected and continued the download, without reporting any problems. My squeezebox can't cope with that clarity so I downcoded it for the main system via wave to 16/44 using my usual EZCD.

I was playing the album when one of the tracks abruptly stopped and the next track started playing. Wierd? mmmm
I went back and checked the file lengths against the original album. The 192 version had exactly the same lengths as the original cd but on my downcoded list 2 of the tracks were short, one by 15 secs and the other by 7 minutes(a long track).

I tried downcoding the two tracks in question again and the same thing happened.
I then tried using flac front end and on the decode it reported the error 'end reached unexpectedly'. Go Figure.
I downloaded the two tracks again and repeated the down coding and all was ok. I didn't try playing the original 192 version but I'm fairly certain it was corrupted by filezilla when it reconnected to the server. I didn't check the ftp log at the time, so the detail may have been in there. Unfortunately I overwrote the original 192 with the later download so I'll never know for sure.

There's a lesson in here somewhere, but I'm not going to stop using EZCD though, cos it's an ace piece of software. Errors such as this are unlikely to ever go undetected though, not if you actually listen to a track completely.

Might report it to poikosoft though, if flac frontend can catch it then other flac coders should at least be as attentive.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be