General Raspberry Pi stuff

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#91 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Neal - did you use the official Pi-hole docker container?

See https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole - a complete example is given. https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole

Likewise for LMS, there is a complete docker setup at https://hub.docker.com/r/jgoerzen/logitech-media-server

For LMS, there are several options - the one above I've found to work well.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#92 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Yup used the official pihole container, doesn’t work for me on a bridge network. Used mrtestone for LMS as stated works well. You need a dhcp relay for a bridge network afaik...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#93 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

So very, very close :)

https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eepr ... e-notes.md

BTW, Neal - why are you using a bridged network? I have a wireless bridge between my office/workshops and the main house, but I operate the bridge in transparent mode, thus it's essentially one larger network and all subnets are available anywhere (VLANs permitting).

DHCP is fine in that mode (obviously).
Neal
Shed dweller

#94 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Bridge network in portainer....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#95 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Pi-hole V5 is out - just upgraded, so will see how it fares - it's a BIG upgrade - many things changed.

https://github.com/pi-hole/FTL/releases

Updated all the RPis in the house - 9 of them. Tedious job.
SimonC
Old Hand

#96 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by SimonC »

Looks like USB boot for Pi-4 has just been released in beta:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/ ... y-pi-4-usb

Simon C
ed
retired

#97 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

that's interesting Simon...I was under the impression it was already long in the tooth...

I was going to implement this:

https://www.stewright.me/2019/10/run-ra ... erry-pi-4/

and my understanding(possibly naively) was that it would boot from the usb stick....

as you can guess, I haven't done it yet.

edit:
I'm a bit slow here..I've just discovered these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Drive-Doc ... 1480103031
Maybe get the whole music collection here and dispense with using the nas to stream.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#98 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

There seems to be a bit of confusion about this.

I posted a link to the Pi 4 boot ROM release notes a few days ago (see above) - on the 15th May a note was published saying beta work was complete and that the new eeprom binaries would soon be available, but I haven't seen them yet, even on the beta stream (as of yesterday).

What ed is referring to has been around for a while for the pi 4 - it's booting of an uSD card then running off the USB MSD, not natively booting directly from USB as you can with the Pi 3B+.

What I'm waiting for is the Pi 4 native USB MSD boot, and that's almost there - should out be a few days. The whole object is to not have to use a uSD card at all.

Toms Hardware seem to have jumped the gun slightly.
Nick
Site Admin

#99 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Nick »

What I'm waiting for is the Pi 4 native USB MSD boot, and that's almost there - should out be a few days. The whole object is to not have to use a uSD card at all.
Ahh. I was wondering about this when it was first posted, I assumed that it would be simple to have a first stage boot loader run on the sd card loading the boot image from elsewhere. Similar to what UEFI or before that BIOS does. I see what was wanted was more than that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#100 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 am
Ahh. I was wondering about this when it was first posted, I assumed that it would be simple to have a first stage boot loader run on the sd card loading the boot image from elsewhere. Similar to what UEFI or before that BIOS does. I see what was wanted was more than that.
Indeed - the Pi 4 has a completely different boot process to any other Pi - there is now a separate boot eeprom with distinct firmware from that of the main CPU. The Pi 3B+ can boot happily without an uSD card installed - it can boot directly from USB MSD, which is great and a far more reliable process (for long-term stability) than booting from the uSD as normal, then having the root partition on the MSD - eventually, the uSD will die.

So, what I want is what I already do on the 3B+ devices - I want the M.2 drive I have on the 3B+ on the Pi 4, and then to boot off it with no sodding about (technical phrase, that). Just flash it with Etcher or similar, then boot directly off it. No uSD need even darken my workshop again...
ed
retired

#101 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

well now that you've alerted me to the frailty of the sd cards that is exactly what I want as well....just usb boot....and preferably with one of those external ssd things I linked to....

oh waily waily another reminder of the memory problem...I just wanted to telnet into the pi4 lamp machine to see what gives with the boot situation and I have absolutely no memory of setting it up, no more than 3 weeks ago, no memory of the user or password I used at all. I even had to struggle to remember where I would have stored that information.....oh waily!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#102 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:52 pm and I have absolutely no memory of setting it up, no more than 3 weeks ago, no memory of the user or password I used at all. I even had to struggle to remember where I would have stored that information.....oh waily!
Welcome to the autumn part of our lives ED. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#103 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

I now standardise on the free version of LastPass.

None of the very small number of key passwords are in there (I only have to remember those) but all the others are - 100s of them. It also means that I can use a different "randomly" generated password for each site.

Quite like LastPass...

Also: use SSH - I have disabled telnet on every device - it's a massive hole.
Nick
Site Admin

#104 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Nick »

eventually, the uSD will die.
Do they die when only used to read from?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#105 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:48 pm
eventually, the uSD will die.
Do they die when only used to read from?
My understanding is that its write cycles that are the issue, not read, though SD cards do evetually simply "forget" after a few years as the charge in the cells slowly bleeds away...

So, just booting off an SD card and running off the USB MSD works, but IMHO is an unnecessary complexity.

Simple is good; do away with the SD card.