The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#661 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 pm DTB - thanks for going to all this trouble. This explains things well - so far, most of the illustrations I've seen look like a section of the Sidney opera house. And I like the idea of not having to take it off at petrol stations and so on. Wind noise is unlikely to bother me either; too deaf to notice!
No probs MrBaggy.

I bought mine from this motorcycle chain store, maybe there's one down your neck of the woods? -> https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/giv ... /23326.htm
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#662 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am
I bought mine from this motorcycle chain store,
My BMW has shaft drive. :lol:

Thanks for the link Dave.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#663 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:09 am
Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am
I bought mine from this motorcycle chain store,
My BMW has shaft drive. :lol:
ISWYDT 😀
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#664 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Groan x infinity +1 :)
Baggy Trousers
User

#665 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Dave - could I ask a favour, please?

I know this is a piece of string question but if you put your hat on, sit on your Bullet with feet somewhere towards the pillion footrests and pretend the bars are level with the top of the stanchions, (no need to go "brumm, brumm") can you see ahead reasonably comfortably and without suffering a painful dislocation? And would you be able to maintain that posture for, say, a couple of hours?

It's all a question of trying to sort the wheat from the chaff before I order the seafront fish and chips to sustain me in my seemingly interminable battle with government propaganda, sanitising, social distancing, arguing with jumped-up jobsworths claiming I can't do this or that, can't stop to try anything on in the shop because I'm blocking the thoroughfare of others who cannot pass without transgressing the 6,561 feet minimum inter-personal distance and all the rest of the "new normal" bollocks which has come to irritate the hell out of me. :evil:

Ta muchly.
Last of the late brakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#666 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

To be honest Baggo, it seems to me like the XBR is perhaps not the right bike for you.

My last bike was a BMW R1200ST, and lovely as it was, the riding position just bugged me as the bars were too low.

I part exchanged it for a BMW R1200R, and that's a lot better, but even had to raise the bars a tad and move them back 3/4 of a tad. Now it's a lot more comfortable to ride.

I've suffered bad neck and shoulders for many years so an upright riding position helps a lot.

PS the XBR footrests may not be adjustable, but could brackets be made to relocate them ?

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#667 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 pm Dave - could I ask a favour, please?

I know this is a piece of string question but if you put your hat on, sit on your Bullet with feet somewhere towards the pillion footrests and pretend the bars are level with the top of the stanchions, (no need to go "brumm, brumm") can you see ahead reasonably comfortably and without suffering a painful dislocation? And would you be able to maintain that posture for, say, a couple of hours?

Ta muchly.
OK, seated on the (hardly sporty but lovely nonetheless) Redditch Bullet in the Baggy-approved seating position, yes, I see ahead comfortably with visor + helmet in various flip up/down positions. One "brumm" was emitted during testing, sorry it slipped out, its a habit I'm getting counseling about....

What this proves, I dunno? We're probably different ages/body types/different levels of flexibility etc etc :)

TBH I doubt I could ride in that position for a couple hours though, sitting stationary on a bike in that position is different from belting along where I've found on sportier bikes (I've had a couple) your upper body gets lifted up and bit from the air coming at you thus alleviating the weight on the wrists a bit.

I'd better get used to that position in a few years time though, the Continental GT250 has clip-ons, erks.
Baggy Trousers
User

#668 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:54 pm To be honest Baggo, it seems to me like the XBR is perhaps not the right bike for you.
An entirely reasonable view Phil, but at the risk of boring the others, I shall respond.

As you know from our nigh on twenty years of forum path-crossing, I'm a fanatical, dyed-in-the-wool, lettered throughout single cylinder man. The 'VH' became too heavy for me to push around so I had to find an alternative before I dropped something. Since Britbikes were out and I don't have the patience to deal with temperamental and often volatile Italians, the obvious source for a replacement one-lunger of higher performance (which ruled out the Indians) seemed to be Japan. I borrowed a GB500TT from a friend and liked it but not being prepared to spend silly money on a seat and fuel tank, I acquired the XBR option of the same machine; mine is one of the last 200 made which came with proper wire wheels. It also came with the non-standard handlebar arrangement as I explained the other day, but this did not work at all for me - it was a pig to ride as the balance was all wrong. However, replacing the original clip-ons (which fit above the top yoke so are in no way extreme), restored proper control.

I imagine the Honda people were aiming at a market some 50/60 years younger than me, so your question might well be rephrased as "Are you too old for the bike?" Of course, that might have been your original implication anyway! Well, I think not; after all, I still ride a Manx pretty rapidly, having regard to the large green things with yellow wheels which lurk around Devon's blind corners. The XBR is only a few horsepower short of the Norton, is slimmer, lighter, more nimble and with brakes that work. Furthermore, it has an electric leg to which I have become addicted! Now that I have managed a few miles on it (and the Dunlop tyres), I'm learning to handle it. In short, I'm thoroughly enjoying what I have come to regard as an unusually good bike. So, I think that It probably is the right bike for me and am coming to think that perhaps I'm the right rider for the bike. It is all consistent with my philosophy of dying young as late as possible.

So, I'm convinced that if I can sort out compatibility of posture/vision/skid lid, I shall be a very happy camper indeed. In any event, I'm not yet ready for a Francis Barnet. And don't you dare suggest an Invacar.
Last edited by Baggy Trousers on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant
Shed dweller

#669 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ant »

You wanna try a gsxr750 for stupid clip ons, I've never been more uncomfortable in my life, I think it was designed for going at warp speed or not at all
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#670 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

All this talk of clip-ons kept making me think of these;

So I asked my good friend Mr. Google to help me out, and now I knows...

BTW, do they sell these in that chain store where you bought your helmet Mr. Bass?

Can you tell I'm not into motorcycles? Sorry for my childish interruption, please carry on.

Anyway Mr. Baggy, do I deduce that you are a citizen of the county of Devonshire?
Last edited by Ray P on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Baggy Trousers
User

#671 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:18 pm
Baggy Trousers wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 pm Dave - could I ask a favour, please?

Ta muchly.
TBH I doubt I could ride in that position for a couple hours though, sitting stationary on a bike in that position is different from belting along where I've found on sportier bikes (I've had a couple) your upper body gets lifted up and bit from the air coming at you thus alleviating the weight on the wrists a bit.

I'd better get used to that position in a few years time though, the Continental GT250 has clip-ons, erks.
This is a very valid point. The other day, I rode a friend's Ducati SS400 (from Japan) which has a full sports fairing fitted and it was very noticeable that the shielding eliminated most of the aerodynamic "lift" that helps the arms/shoulders with a naked bike. But your empirical testing, whilst hardly constituting a recognisable scientific method supported by peer review, has encouraged me regarding the Givi and (see above) the bike.

I remember the little Enfield from when it was new and some of us "superior" Rockers got quite a shock when these things kept up with the big boys, at least around town. They were a little handicapped going dahn to Brigh'on or over to Sarfend though. The "Arrow" was another bike which punched well above its weight, but few of us could be bothered with strokers. Wheee, nig, nig, nig. Wheeee, nig, nig, nig, nig.

Thanks for your help Dave.
Baggy Trousers
User

#672 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:03 pm Mr. Baggy, do I deduce that you are a citizen of the county of Devonshire?
Yez, oi be frum Devon, yew.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#673 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 pm Yez, oi be frum Devon, yew.
Things are beginning to make sense now! :lol: My good lady is a janner.
Baggy Trousers wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:05 pm The other day, I rode a friend's Ducati SS400 (from Japan)...
That was a long ride, does you friend live in Japan?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#674 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Baggo, have you experience of trail style (rally tourers) bikes ?

Not suited to short legs, but something like an NX650 Dominator.(Honda and one lung)

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#675 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

The other option I used to used on my Ducati with far more extreme clipons (though it was many years ago) was a magnetic tank bag to rest on and take some of the weight off the wrists.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.