The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#346 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ouch, can you alter the angle of the clutch lever to help with the wrist ache Popz?

Or sell the BMW and buy.....

Brum brum :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

#347 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:34 pm
Mike H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:26 pm You like that BMW?
Sure do, probably the best bike I've ever had. :)

I have a problem with my left hand when riding. Using the clutch often can result in pain after more than an hour.

Could be an arthritis or rheumatism problem. :(
You want to try the clutch on my laverda... my hand and arm burns it's so heavy... or maybe you don't need to try it with a bad hand thinking about it Phil..

Nice work Dave...
I should be finishing the 2 bikes I have in bits.. but I'm rebuilding a couple more push bikes.. a Paris swb tandem and a holdsworth cyclone .. there's no hope for me !
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#348 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:34 pm
Mike H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:26 pm You like that BMW?
Sure do, probably the best bike I've ever had. :)
Really liked my R80RT. Shame I had to get rid when I moved as it was a non runner. Well actually, front brake needed an expensive fix but anyway hadn't been used since about 2008 I think.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#349 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

From Moto Guzzi forums - gob smacking IoM TT ride, as one YT commenter says is like a perfect winning score on a computer game, except it's not a computer game, it's real :shock:

Speedo is in mph, not kph and it throws in the towel and refuses to display the numbers when it goes over 185 .....

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#350 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Ahh my lost youth. I remember watching his dad riding a F2 Ducati at the IOM.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Michael L
Old Hand

#351 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Michael L »

Mike H wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:34 pm From Moto Guzzi forums - gob smacking IoM TT ride, as one YT commenter says is like a perfect winning score on a computer game, except it's not a computer game, it's real :shock:

Speedo is in mph, not kph and it throws in the towel and refuses to display the numbers when it goes over 185 .....

-
The rapidity at which the Panigale reaches a ton is breathtaking. How people ride at those speeds away from a track amaze me. Great video
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#352 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

That is very good indeed, Mike. Lovely quality video.
Massive balls to be riding straight into the sun at those speeds.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#353 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

I looked up the bike. Was a bit shocked just how sophisticated the electronic aids on it was. I hope Italian electronics have got more reliable, as I think if this lot turned off any normal human would be off within seconds.
ELECTRONICS

This is where the Panigale V4 really takes the game forward. For reference, the electronics section in the brochure we received occupies 13 pages, while the brand new, incredibly advanced V4 needs just 11 pages. The system works primarily via a six-axis IMU (inertial measurement unit) which constantly measures the bike’s pitch, yaw and roll angles. Using this, the bike offers a number of assists:

1. Ducati Traction Control Evo (DTC)
Many of these are known systems that have simply gotten smarter, so we won’t spend too much time over the 8-level traction control except to say that the system is now even smoother and more intuitive. This is thanks to reduced time gaps between a traction control intervention and removal of intervention, which happens many times as the system reigns in rear wheelspin. A new ‘spin on demand’ function is also available in Level 1 and 2 of the traction control system. This allows the rider to tighten the cornering line by allowing some wheelspin when leaned over. It basically lets you do what takes the pro riders years to learn, while minimising the very real chance of high-siding the bike.

2. Bosch Cornering ABS Evo
Bosch‘s Cornering ABS gains a new Slide-by-Brake function, which allows the rider to use the rear brake to back the bike into a corner under heavy braking. This system only works above a certain speed, lean angle and if it detects heavy front braking. It essentially allows you to slide the bike into a corner, like the GP boys do, but will prevent the rider from overdoing it and crashing – something that’s remarkably easy to do without the system. Three levels of ABS are on offer.

3. Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
Ducati Slide Control is a new addition to the electronics suite and is a similar system to what’s seen on the Yamaha R1. Slide Control works in conjunction with the traction control system and essentially moderates the torque delivery from the V4 to allow a controlled slide-angle when exiting the corner. As with DTC, DSC works by acting on the throttle body valves, ignition timing and fuel injection and it does so by making calculations based on data coming in from the IMU. Slide control is adjustable by two levels.

4. Ducati Wheelie Control Evo (DWC)
The latest evolution of Ducati’s Wheelie control allows a range of adjustability and either cuts out wheelies under acceleration almost entirely or allows a certain level of front-wheel lift, based on the rider’s preference. This is one system that worked hard when powering the 214hp Panigale down a long straight.

5. Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
This is a similar system to what we’ve seen in the xDiavel. A special button on the right handlebar enables the mode that allows quick starts off the line. Once set, the rider engages first gear and builds the revs up with the clutch pulled in. All the rider has to do is modulate the clutch release; while the system first holds the bike at optimum revs then modulates torque delivery after the clutch is released. Three levels are available, with Level 1 favouring high-performance starts and Level 3 focusing on a safer and more stable launch.

6. Ducati Quick Shift Up/Down Evo (DQS)
Quick Shift Evo was developed specially for the V4 and it now uses lean angle information to maximise stability when shifting gears while the bike is leaned over. The system works on both up and down shifts and all you need to do for a downshift is close the throttle fully and press down on the gear level. The system slots in the lower gear with a perfectly-timed blip of the throttle. It works really well and takes away the need for the rider to rev match, allowing a little more mental capacity to focus on the sheer pace that this bike can generate.

7. Engine Brake Control Evo (EBC)
EBC helps improve corner-entry stability by reducing the effects of engine braking. It takes into account lean angle, throttle position, selected gear and crankshaft deceleration rate when the rider is braking heavily into a corner. It then opens the throttle, ever so slightly, to add a calculated dash of fuel into the engine to reduce the engine braking effect, which thereby improves stability.

8. Ducati Electronic Suspension Evo (DES)
We’ve already discussed the suspension, above; but what’s incredible about this technology on the V4 S is that it allows you to set-up the system for individual aspects of a corner. For example, if the rider would like some additional support under braking before corner entry, this can be dialled in. However, it will not affect the suspension’s mid-corner and corner exit behaviour because different parameters will be set up for those regions. On conventional suspension, tweaking the damping to address the corner-entry issue will no doubt have an effect on the behaviour in other areas of the corner too – but with the Ohlins electronic suspension you can completely isolate the behaviour in different areas. How incredible is that!

9. Riding Modes
The Panigale comes with three riding modes that adjust all of the above parameters. The Street mode bumps up the safety quotient, sets up the suspension for comfort and offers a progressive throttle response. Meanwhile, the Sport mode offers a crisper throttle response and a firmer suspension set-up. It also dials-in the electronics to a level where they help less-experienced riders experience the full fury of the bike in a more safe manner. In this mode, the Slide-by-brake system is active, as is the rear wheel lift control system. The Race mode, meanwhile, sets up the systems for a more experienced rider, with low levels of electronic intervention, without turning any of the assists fully off – but that can be done separately, if the rider desires. Suspension goes into a high-performance, hard setup – but it can be further tweaked, if needed. Finally, the Cornering ABS function is reserved only to the front wheel and ABS is deactivated at the rear.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#354 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Wow. :shock:
IslandPink wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:54 pm That is very good indeed, Mike. Lovely quality video.
Massive balls to be riding straight into the sun at those speeds.
Yep, ooge.

Baggy Trousers
User

#355 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Coming home the other day, I noticed that the needle on my ammeter had mechanically divorced itself from the rest of the mechanism. Up to this point, the readings and operation were entirely satisfactory.

However, having fitted a new replacement meter of the same type, I find that whilst the behaviour of the needle when indicating a discharge of up to 6A is as it should be with the engine idling - ie, the needle position is constant for a steady current drain - when the engine is revved and the cut-out chimes in, the needle, whilst moving to the positive side, develops a dance which would put St Vitas to shame. Thinking that the electronic regulator might have died at the same time as the meter, at the cost of £50 I bought a new one. Needless to say, no difference. Dynamo checks out OK. I have never encountered such a thing but is there a "damped" ammeter usually fitted which tames these oscillations? And why, since it is regulated DC voltage, should there be these current fluctuations? Makes no difference if a load is put on the system.

Not encountered this problem before. Any ideas, please?
Last of the late brakers.
Nick
Site Admin

#356 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Maybe the original was a hotwire ammeter?
Neal
Shed dweller

#357 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

If the dc dyno is a simple single or two coil design the dc output will have a lot of ripple on it, I wonder if a cap across the output would help....although I would have thought the battery would damp out any fluctuations
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#358 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Maybe the movement on the old Ammeter was better mechanically damped than the new replacement?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

#359 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 am Maybe the movement on the old Ammeter was better mechanically damped than the new replacement?
Yes, the old Lucas ones I recall had a damping adjustment screw on the underside of the gauge.
Nick
Site Admin

#360 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Neal wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 am If the dc dyno is a simple single or two coil design the dc output will have a lot of ripple on it, I wonder if a cap across the output would help....although I would have thought the battery would damp out any fluctuations
I would expect the battery would damp out any voltage variation but this is AFAIK measuring current.