The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#106 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Braved the elements for a short ride out to try out some new gear.
-
Naff selfie picture
Naff selfie picture

Albeit sunny and dry, good wind blowing, wind chill was zero Celsius, yet did not need to resort to putting a fleece on as well. Altho I didn't travel very far.

If you remember I changed the springs of the Euro single seat to softer ones, so needed a proper try-out whether the rear end bottoms out on the fender rack (the seat is quite long), but doesn't seem to, and I used some good ol' bumpy lanes.

As it is now the Euro single seat ends up slightly higher than the Enduro dualseat it replaced, this means a slightly more lean forward stance, for me, which is quite OK, have no problem with that. Doubtless means knees not so bent either.

The bike purred like a purry feline thing and was as smooth as, er, a non-vibratory thing... (suppliment superlative of your own choice here)...

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#107 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ant wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm Is it true that they have a 500 wide rpm powerband?
Nah, not true. It was about 551rpm wide! :) The rev counter didn't start until 3000 rpm, anything below that was tickover.
thomas wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:14 am
That's a lovely old door and wall in those pics DTB, where were they taken?

Not keen on the bike I must admit, but good on you for riding it!
I bet MrI knew that door and wall, it on his old turf, behind number 131 Wapping High Street in East London. Doesn't look like that anymore.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50512 ... 312!8i6656

A mate was a keen photographer, he loved the shape of bike so did a 'study' of it. At the time I was studying part time in a Music Academy above that rusty door.
Mike H wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am I was going to say, WHERE did you find that wall? Image
See above, Cinnamon Street in Wapping, about 1993-ish.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#108 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 pm Braved the elements for a short ride out to try out some new gear.
You're braver than me, its blummen frrrrrreeeeeeeeeezing out there!

I've spent the whole day in the warm(ish) shed rebuilding an Amal Mk1 Concentric Carb and re-torquing and fettling the Bullet after its 1st 500 miles since the rebuild.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#109 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Yes the gear worked quite well. Opened the visor just before stopping, bluddy hell :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#110 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:28 pm
Mike H wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 pm Braved the elements for a short ride out to try out some new gear.
I've spent the whole day in the warm(ish) shed rebuilding an Amal Mk1 Concentric Carb and re-torquing and fettling the Bullet after its 1st 500 miles since the rebuild.
Good luck with the Oilfield! I absolutely hate the Mk1 Concentric and the Premier is not a lot better in my view. The top lid of the carb on my 1953 G80 had bowed due to the pressure of the slide return spring! :bounce: I've found a reasonable Monobloc which works and junked the Mk1.

Dave, I have made several attempts to respond to your PM about uploading photos. However, my skills in this respect are no greater but since your contact, I have managed to post a few, albeit of very small size. Please accept my apologies for a two-month delay - this is how long it took to realise that I had a message. People don't often write to me. :(

Thanks for the support.

Old Baggo.
Last of the late brakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#111 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

No problem Baggy, I just checked my PM's and email but I've had nothing from you.

I bought the Mk1 about 19 years ago as it was recommended by Hitchcocks at the time as a good replacement for the stock Indian Mikuni copy on the Bullet. It didn't cure the problem with the Bullet at the time as the problem was elsewhere but now the mighty Miracle from Madras is back on Kent's mean streets I thought I'd fettle the Amal and finally get round to fitting it at sometime. Other folk with more wisdom than me have also said the Mk1 isn't their fave carb too. Live n learn, eh, doh!
Baggy Trousers
User

#112 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:43 pm This is my sort of BSA Gold Star.

The Catalina. :D

But, a Matchless G85CS might just be more "me".

Wot - no Goldie twitter? Looks nice though. Makes a change from the usual head down, arse in air clip-ons. The zenith of Valentine Page's single-cylinder engine development.

Nice to see that the G80 hasn't had the back end stolen from an Ariel! :roll: Or is it a Harris?
Last of the late brakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#113 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

The Matchless G85cs had a special frame similar to the Rickman brothers Metisse scrambles frame.

It also had a 600cc engine, as opposed to the 500cc G80 variants.

Sadly, the last of the AMC big singles. :cry:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#114 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

A couple of weeks ago I sold the little Norman nippy that I've had for 3 years I have been up and down our road a few times but it was never going to be used.
Then last week a found out about an early zundapp Bella r200 from '55 complete with transferable number.
It's all there, very original and its now in my garage...
The seat needs a recover, which is in hand, the exhaust unblocking and a lot of TLC... sorry there s no pics I do need to find out how to reduce pics down on my phone ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#115 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Like this ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#116 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

steve s wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 am sorry there s no pics I do need to find out how to reduce pics down on my phone ?
I just email them to myself. When you hit send it asks you how much you want to reduce them by.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#117 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am Like this ?

Looks like a cross between a Lambretta and a wheelbarrow!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#118 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Now thats a bike I could ride!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
steve s
Shed dweller

#119 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Very similar Phil. That's a later one mine has telescopic forks and is red
Mines a little more natural for a 63 year old but the red paint and brown rusty merges quite well, the main thing is all the metalwork is solid and there s not too much chrome which is expensive to restore.
The engine has been rebuilt and looks unused since, the piston top is clean and there only 17 k on the Speedo anyway.
Cheers Phil...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#120 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

shane wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:02 pm
pre65 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am Like this ?

Looks like a cross between a Lambretta and a wheelbarrow!
They have a large following in Germany where they are considered beautiful ? ... I'm more with your impression though...although they look better in real life from some angles..