The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#736 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Yep, I am with Neal. If its of historic value, then as long as there is a couple in a museum where they will be preserved. Other than that, use the things.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#737 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

<*ahem*> If I may interrupt for a moment

Boston to Cholmondeley 2020

Langrick Station Cafe to The Cholmondeley Arms Cheshire

26 minutes, timelapse

Description: Managed to get booked into the Cholmondeley Arms pub & B&B for a trip to Cheshire in August, the first such this year, was postponed from July because of the virus! By no means the first to be called off either.

Trivia: at the point of joining the A52 south of Nottingham I got splatted by a butterfly, jeez what a mess! All over the visor, bright yellow gunge, at that precise moment a layby appeared (@ 14:57 in video), so I could stop and wash it off; I always carry a bottle of water for the purpose (most commonly, for dirty spray)
-
Bottle_2089.jpg
-
OK as you were :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#738 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 pm Image
OK as you were :D
Thanks Mike - I'll just quickly add this;

I just love that simple and effective method of securing the sprocket. So much easier than the old nuts and tab washers, drive cushion spring and cams of the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Some progress is good.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#739 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

T'was Bantam wheel rebuilding / relacing time at Holmes' Towers this weekend, and finally! But covered two days! And yea verily, videos doth follow with all speed ...

-
Relacing Bantam Wheels part 1 (front), 43 minutes

-
Relacing Bantam Wheels part 2 (rear), timelapse, 25 minutes

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#740 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Just to say I've had to have several more goes at this over the previous couple of weeks, as I kept getting it wrong. Has come out alright now, thanks to some advice from Devon Rims.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#741 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Catching up -

Modifying A Cheap Truing Stand

1st September -
Canping Trip to Caistor (Lincolnshire) via the Lincolnshire Wolds (Ural + trailer)

steve s
Shed dweller

#742 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Just sold my harley vrod today.. still feel a bit sad to see it go, but I've not used it the last 18 months and it's now 10years old.

I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit lighter, I have a bike in mind that will fit the bill.. but not sure
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#743 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Yesterday I returned home from Worcester on the Ural, on one of those almost magical bike rides that probably can't be repeated. Endless blue skies, but not boiling hot (for a change!). A422 / A46 to Leamington, then cut across to the A455, to then get onto a bit of The Fosse Way, from there onto Market Harborough (A4303) via Lutterworth, then the B road up to Melton, then the other B road east to Colsterworth, across the A1 to Corby Glen, then all country back lanes through Lincolnshire. Miles and miles and miles of achingly gorgeous English countryside, and twee villages. Still got sensory overload!

I've rebuilt the Bantam's wheels with new stainless rims and spokes, not tightened or trued yet.

Got a new mainstand for it (the original is scabby looking, looks like "paint over rust", also it's twisted) so been painting that (so that is to be put on next), also a new 'U' bracket stay for the front mudguard. As the green I've got doesn't exactly match what it was last painted as (altho the new paint matches the replacement frame so therefore is more like the original 'Mist Green' [it came from RS Bike Paints, seriously, use their online form, what is the make, model and year, put in BSA, D1 - D14, 1955, and the list comes up as: Mist Green, Black, or Maroon, yep! Them's the colours alright :shock: ]), I think I should also dust it over the mudguard too so that it and its stays all match (the additional lower small stays I'm going to have to make, as the 'originals' don't fit at all and I'm not even sure if they came off a Bantam). Still means the rear mudguard and forks will be 'wrong', but one thing at a time (or several) :D

I'm calling it O'Rafferty's Motorbike (40 shades of green :D )

Ant
Shed dweller

#744 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ant »

Ive had those rides before mike, when you stop in a layby and think 'that was fab, but where the hell am i?' :D
No bikes for me now unfortunately
That bantam is a right labour of love
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#745 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Thanks, it's a labour of something! :lol:

steve s
Shed dweller

#746 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Another bike is joining the stable.. a lightweight tiddler compared to the vrod. More electronics than I'll ever use and after a test ride seems as quick as most of the bigger bikes I've owned over the years. Ive spent a while scanning YouTube, I've not seen a bike with such good reviews and now on offer with £1499 off, only hope I can cope with the orange paint.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#747 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:15 pm only hope I can cope with the orange paint.
Orange paint eh ?

Probably not a KTM, wild guess would be a Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor with Orange crush paint.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#748 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Wasn't your Laverda orange?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#749 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Here's a nice road for you to go down some time, Mike.
I took a trip down here a couple of weeks ago ... on Google Streeview !
Loch_Quoich.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#750 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:18 pm Wasn't your Laverda orange?
Still got that nick, the 1st 1200's where blue or red, mines a blue one. I could do to get it back on the road as it now tax and mot free