cartridge loading plugs

Subjects that don't have their own home
jayman67
User

#1 cartridge loading plugs

Post by jayman67 »

anyone a dab hand at making these?
id like some at 33k loading to try on my decca cartridge,the maths involved to work out what resistors to use totally baffles me.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#2 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Why do you think you need them and what do you think they will do.
jayman67
User

#3 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by jayman67 »

john wright who rebuilt my decca recommended a loading of 33k,ive not got a clue as to what they do suffice to say as they are relatively cheap id like to try a pair and make up my own mind what best.
Ant
Shed dweller

#4 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by Ant »

Your phono stage is likely to have a 47k load resistor in it already for mm or 100r for mc, does it specify what the load is?
Im not familiar with the decca cart, 33k sounds like mm?
Cant see it making much difference to be honest, but i cant say ive played with loading too much. When i built the nuvistor phono stage I did have abit of a mess about but couldn't really tell if it made a blind bit of difference, but as always,

Ymmv
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by Cressy Snr »

If you want a 33K load resistance and your phono input is MM (47K) then 110K loading plugs will give the correct 33K load for the Decca cartridge.

110K in parallel with 47K gives 33K
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#6 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The problem is ignorance or confusion or simply your current experience with your current phono stage. What irritates me is it is always referred to as the cartridge needing the change - no it is not in most case, it is the design of the phono stage. It is relatively easy to build in enough headroom both in current and voltage so the door (interface) can swing freely. I witnessed the ability of your phono stage and I can tell you for certain it is well enough designed for any differences you hear, if you hear them to be delusional between 33k and 47k.

A badly designed phono stage especially with a low voltage plug type power supply is fighting to do the job so it will react to matching problem, the opposite is true if you do the job properly with a proper power supply.

All this matching nonsense originally came about because of SUTs. They are borderline in being able to do the job, which is why material used in the construction to make internal loss as little a possible makes so much difference, they really should only be used now with valve MM stages as step up, I understand their uses there, but the disease has spread to eeediots on some forums saying that SUTs are the only way to amplify a MC cart, it has almost become a forum old housewife tale, it is not true and people who think it should listen to real phono stages then they will understand.
jayman67
User

#7 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by jayman67 »

thanks for the offers of help and advice,i bought some 110k resistors and did it myself,the question is has it improved the decca??
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by Ali Tait »

Has it then? :D
jayman67
User

#9 Re: cartridge loading plugs

Post by jayman67 »

just about to remove them and listen.....