Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Subjects that don't have their own home
JohnG
Old Hand

#16 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by JohnG »

I hope the following is acceptable and does not offend the proposer of this initial idea.
After hearing about the near Brighton one being cancelled and the idea presented to abandon the Southern Attempt, it seems this proposal could be viewed as a life line to keep the proposed event alive.
I have spoke to my friend Stoyan about us Hosting a Phonostage Bake off, near London, a venue in East London not far from the A13/A406 intersection is being investigated for availability.
If this is something that would appeal to a wider audience and get a day out on the agenda please let us know.
There should be hot beverage facilities available and I.m sure a Fish and Chip Lunch could be arranged.
There are Three Phonostages that can be heard at present, two have been built outside of the UK, and one of these has won a similar Bake off type presentation in the country that it was made, this one is in transit at present to the UK.
The more Phonostages present on the day the merrier, so in the words of Tom Hardy, playing the role of the convict Charles Bronson " Lets ' Av It ".
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#17 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am in if you want me. If *I* personally becomes a hindrance I will just send stuff.

Thanks for taking it on.
Nick
Site Admin

#18 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by Nick »

Sounds great.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by Ant »

Folks will be in for a treat with stoyans system, we heard some of it at owston and the speakers especially were lovely
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#20 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Here us a speaker one.

NVA Cube 1s & 3s / Harbeth P3ESR / Usher S520 + ??? Durham

Post by savvypaul » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Anyone interested in a bit of a speaker bake off - NVA Cube 1s & 3s / Harbeth P3ESR / Usher S520 + whatever you want to bring?

The rest of the system is in my sig.

Small room, so max 4 people. A few miles west of Durham City.

Some time in September. A Saturday, most likely.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#21 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

HFS now has a thread I have put up about it, we have some interest.

https://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48632
JohnG
Old Hand

#22 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by JohnG »

Thank you for extending the invitation to others.
As for arranging a Phonostage Funday in the past via another forum, a venue just west of Birmingham was selected, but there was not enough interest to create the event.
There is a good opportunity here to allow others to hear a selection of phonostages, if a individual is pondering the idea of adding a phonostage to their system, or they are toying with the idea of building a vinyl replay system, then spending a few hours in the company of enthusiasts with a variety of devices, could be a way of saving many £s on a future purchase, if the device is discovered that suits the individuals needs is heard in the room.
I,m enquiring with the intention, to get access to a room that is close to 10 x 6 metres, this should be adequate.
Late September/ Early October should be time enough to let interested parties select the best weekend day and time window for themselves.
I intend on using a building that offers the local community charitable services. The fee for the venue will be put to good use.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#23 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Anything more on the London one.
Bigman80
User

#24 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by Bigman80 »

JohnG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm Thank you for extending the invitation to others.
As for arranging a Phonostage Funday in the past via another forum, a venue just west of Birmingham was selected, but there was not enough interest to create the event.
There is a good opportunity here to allow others to hear a selection of phonostages, if a individual is pondering the idea of adding a phonostage to their system, or they are toying with the idea of building a vinyl replay system, then spending a few hours in the company of enthusiasts with a variety of devices, could be a way of saving many £s on a future purchase, if the device is discovered that suits the individuals needs is heard in the room.
I,m enquiring with the intention, to get access to a room that is close to 10 x 6 metres, this should be adequate.
Late September/ Early October should be time enough to let interested parties select the best weekend day and time window for themselves.
I intend on using a building that offers the local community charitable services. The fee for the venue will be put to good use.
I'd definitely be up for attending a phono funday in the Birmingham area.
JohnG
Old Hand

#25 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by JohnG »

I Couldn't get the venue of choice, I'm looking for a suitable place at present. Sundays seem to have a demand on small halls.
JohnG
Old Hand

#26 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by JohnG »

It is proving difficult to locate a venue on a Sunday in East London.
I have contacted a few village halls near Peterborough for a October/ November slot on a Sunday for a 9.00am - 6.00pm booking.
If one the contacted venues agrees to the booking, the cost for the day should be less than £100 shared by all attendees inclusive of Tea and Coffee. I am hoping that with this location a larger interest will be generated.
I have chosen this region as it is approx 1 hour from East Anglia, Birmingham, South Yorkshire and the Dartford Tunnel.
So I hope it may prove a more attractive venue to more members.
I am pre empting a booking acceptance, if there are any dates that a interested person may wish to not be chosen, then could you put them forward.
JohnG
Old Hand

#27 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by JohnG »

I have dates available for Houghton Village Hall on October 15, 22, 29.
November 19, 26.
To assist with securing a date,
Can any interested parties let their intention to attend be known along with the Phonostage they would like to bring.
I would like to think we can have a large enough attendance to keep the cost of the day to less than £10 per head as a split cost for the hall hire.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by pre65 »

It might help if you told us where Houghton village hall was.

Is it Houghton on the Hill near Leicester ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#29 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

I want to participate in a London or Southern bake-off. It doesn't mean I wont attend but it seems daft to me. If I thought there wasn't going to be a load of crap thrown at me I would offer to sponsor it if London is too expensive, but then the arseholes would call it my bake-off and make politics and dissing over it.

Have you looked at N Kent, just over the Dartford Bridge, if you want me to look and give you alternatives I will with pleasure. Dave the Bass most know some local ones as well.
JohnG
Old Hand

#30 Re: Southern Phono Stage Bake-Off

Post by JohnG »

The village is Houghton on the Hill, situated between Peterborough and Leicester.
I am happy to travel west or south, but I don't know how restrictive a southern one will be.
This location will serve the East Anglia, London regions, Midlands and above offering for many a similar shared travel time.