Phono bake-off

Subjects that don't have their own home
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#61 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

JohnG wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm I applaud your success at planning a event.
A venue, and a date.
Is there a list of Phono Models to be compared ?
Can a MM Phono be brought along if it is to be attached to a SUT ?
Mine is MM with a SUT attached so I would say yes.

I will ask a couple of friends who have phono stages to attend if possible to try to get more variety.

I don't get out much so have no idea what's being proposed. Others will reply hopefully.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#62 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

There would appear to be no reason why Alan could not send a phono stage , if he choose not to attend.

And fireybum , as I assume I am one of the two individuals you refer to in your last post , I have looked and looked and I can appreciate no reason whatsoever why I should be friendly or respectful towards you . And you are the sole reason as to why that is the case.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#63 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The reason is fear of not coming top. At AoS he has control and can import his shills into any comparison, it is artificial.

I think the only way to get him to participate is to shame him into it and as a forum here we don't have the numbers clout to shame him enough. His hope is to keep it away from his marketing base where he and Jez have the shills sown up and they have a massive membership (and potential customer base) much bigger than we have either here or at HFS.

So it needs to be done at AoS but then watch as Marco will probably step in to protect his £50 traders against criticism, but at least that will show the intelligent members there what is going on.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#64 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Ray P »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 amI think the only way to get him to participate....
Let me first say that I have zero interest in this or any other bake-off if the object of the exercise is to declare a 'winner'; IMO, in that respect they are as meaningful as lining up twenty good wines and trying to declare one 'the best'. That's the beauty of subjectivity.

But, I think the best way to have gained his participation would have been to let Dave (MCRU) and Nick take care of organising the bake-off and for everyone else to simply shut up and let their product/kit/build do their talking on the day.

Yes, I know, I'm an eeediot talking bollocks, but there it is.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#65 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

But, I think the best way to have gained his participation would have been to let Dave (MCRU) and Nick take care of organising the bake-off and for everyone else to simply shut up and let their product/kit/build do their talking on the day.
But AFAIKS thats what is happening. Richard is making suggestions and is/was planning on attending or at least sending kit. Hopefully others can provide stages they either make or own and we can just set up a system that allows them to get the best results from each stage, and we can get a bunch of people together and see what people think of them. In practice no different to Owston where Alan brought a number of stages, and I would have though Jez would relish the chance to get his designs compared against others.

I would like to believe its not true, but unless things change with Alan and Jez it looks as if Richards world view has some merit.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#66 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:55 amBut AFAIKS thats what is happening.
It doesn't quite look like that from here Nick, I see various conflicts being promoted and some baiting going on, none of which adds anything to the bake-off.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#67 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

What is it about people that makes them focus on the noise instead of the signal. I have just about given up on ever seeing sanity here.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#68 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Greg »

Get rid of the noise and the signal will be a pleasure.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#69 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Nick wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 pm What is it about people that makes them focus on the noise instead of the signal. I have just about given up on ever seeing sanity here.
most people alas , clock the poster then decide what to think of the post . Hence the partial picture they present . Much better to read all posts , decide what you think of the text on its own and then look who posted it .

And Greg , the Docs signal to noise ratio is considerably.... no bloody substantially better than yours , even on this forum.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#70 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by pre65 »

And yours Dennis (DQ) on this topic is appalling. :shock:

Dennis the menace perhaps ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#71 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 am
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 amI think the only way to get him to participate....
Let me first say that I have zero interest in this or any other bake-off if the object of the exercise is to declare a 'winner'; IMO, in that respect they are as meaningful as lining up twenty good wines and trying to declare one 'the best'. That's the beauty of subjectivity.

Yes, I know, I'm an eeediot talking bollocks, but there it is.
How have you managed to get hold of completely the wrong end of the stick. I am perfectly happy for no winner to be declared as long as people are honest, but Owston had a winner. It is said that the Owston phono stage posts should be repeated here, fine if people are so lazy they cannot go to the Owston thread and scroll back :roll:
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#72 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

ta pre or is it Noel Shempsky.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#73 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by pre65 »

Sad to say I can't make this event. :(

I was trying to re-arrange an existing commitment but that has not been possible.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#74 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:21 pm ta pre or is it Noel Shempsky.
That's lost on me Dennis. :?

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#75 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

google it .