Phono bake-off

Subjects that don't have their own home
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#361 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

What , you wish everything was about RD , for it is what you said .

I have adjudicated 82% of your previous 35 posts as noise :mrgreen:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#362 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He is just the new Greg, he has taken over the job.

Nick I really don't know how you can interpret my post as being about me - it is about op-amp phono stages. I will PM you.

Hi-Fi retailers - If you had to live through 40 years of dealing with the crooks you would be a bit irrational about them.
Nick
Site Admin

#363 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

Nick I really don't know how you can interpret my post as being about me - it is about op-amp phono stages. I will PM you.
Because you felt the need to stand up for op-amps in phono stages as if the mere mention of them was a gauntlet being thrown down in front of you.
Hi-Fi retailers - If you had to live through 40 years of dealing with the crooks you would be a bit irrational about them.
Maybe, but I would at least try and treat each new one as a possible clean slate, but it seems that you are just happy to put them all in the same pigeon hole. As DQ said, the world is shades of grey, black and white thinking is IMHO failed thinking. Because it seems you view all dealers as being by definition corrupt, you regard any thing they do as proof of that corruptness. You view the world it seems through a filter that only proves to you that your belief is correct. That is not a healthy way to view the world, and it doesn’t help you make friends.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#364 Re: Phono bake-off

Why do you think I am here to make friends. I am here to correct incorrect and false information and lies, and to tell you about my DIY help as in Doc Mods. If someone addresses me I will respond. I am not a salesman I don't need to be false and groom sales. People take me as am or they don't take me, it is up to them.

I don't think you get it about retailers, yes they are all the same. Their games are just a side show the biggest part of them being crooks is they take varying 30 to 70% of the money a customers pays them for themselves, you know this from dealing with MCRU, and explain to me for what in return apart from the slimey salesman performance - Dude :mrgreen:

On top of that with MCRU his profit margin on the his most expensive mains leads is probably over 1000% no where and in no business would this be considered acceptable.

Its a new world Nick, it is an on-line world, these people and their slurp are no longer needed.
Nick
Site Admin

#365 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

Why do you think I am here to make friends.
Just a hope on my side.
I am here to correct incorrect and false information and lies
Yes, we see, but sometimes I think you may be a tad to evangelical about that for everyone’s taste.
and to tell you about my DIY help as in Doc Mods
We like that bit
If someone addresses me I will respond.
Thats fine, but often I think the addressing is only in your head, as in the example of the op amps in my reply to Alan, it was not directed at you, it was not a slight to you, it was nothing about you. But you still saw it as about yo, so you responded.
and explain to me for what in return apart from the slimey salesman performance
Lots and lots and lots.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#366 Re: Phono bake-off

"Nick I really don't know how you can interpret my post as being about me - it is about op-amp phono stages".

Because you felt the need to stand up for op-amps in phono stages as if the mere mention of them was a gauntlet being thrown down in front of you.

It is not a question of standing up to anything specific, I would have posted if it was something wrong being said about valves, but the chances of me knowing anything is very low, it would have to be pretty basic. I would say every traditional member of this forum knows far more than me about them.

What increases my desire to respond is the false information being used for promotion and slurping, as in this case by Firey. I would never tell you a specific phono stage was no good or the method of it being made was no good, or if valves or solid state are no good, never have done and never will even with people like Firey. Or that NVA stages are superior to any other, that is a customer decision, which is why I get them to do reviews in their own words. What I say is you should compare and make your own decisions, and I try to promote that process.

You seem to have grabbed a stick and want run with it (like one of your Lurchers), wrong stick mate. It is a substandard interpretation of my posts to even find that stick.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#367 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

This is an argument neither of your can win unless you agree to bash each other on the head till one of you is dead :wink: Both positions from the context of your personal position are reasonable and it is not possible for each person to convince the other they are correct .

So what will happen is inevitable , it will become tiresome, boring , repetitive and two much hard work and it will usually end up in a fall out and no further communication .

Seems to me however Nick and this forum are not pfp or wigwam or indeed other forums and there it would be counter productive to blow it up

The solution , 50 shades of gray and compromise .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#368 Re: Phono bake-off

That would be false and perpetuate the problem. It is not about people it is about product which is why this thread exists, I wanted it to happen. People (one) decided they wouldn't submit due to fear, it turned it into non event, not worth the hassle so I withdrew, upon which the biggest scaredy cat came back in, so a partial event happened.

It is not me who needs to be berated it is the people who wont compare or who will only do it if they control the terms. Even at Dave Brooks place if he created true events to compare product and people supplied it, if only he would cut out the self promotion that hi-jacks the event. Though I doubt I would attend but I would send product if I saw it as a true fair comparison.

I would like to see phono stages done again with much more notice given so as to gather much more product and listeners.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#369 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

"That would be false and perpetuate the problem"

Well you aint going to solve it , so it perpetuates anyway.

And what you will end up with is you bemoaning your not allowed to voice your opinion and those stopping you labelling you as dogmatic and intransigent or words to that effect .

It is a repetitive pattern , you ask to play in some one else's playground , vociferously and intransigently tell them you don't like it and moan when they kick you out . Don't get me wrong , I pretty much agree with all you say , I just fail to see the point of it all , its just a diversion till you end up back at square 1 .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#370 Re: Phono bake-off

No its not, in between some TRUTH is spoken and is then on the record. If more people were like me and didn't give in to the stupidity and corruption, it would hopefully stop it happening.

Now I will argue the truth in the above until the cows come home or even after. It is simple, stop addressing me and address the content, I am not the subject or shouldn't be but I have been forced into that, but go back to content and put an alternative or reasoned argument as intelligent people do - like in a court of law. Do you become the subject of the court case just because you are one of the lawyers.
JohnG
Old Hand

#371 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by JohnG »

I hope this is not going off topic, but the 834 Phonostage seems to have made a good impression.
I like all the effort that has gone into its revival through a variety of build projects seen on the web.
There is also a recent release of a much improved power supply, that seem to work very well with it.
To those who heard the model on Sunday, would any body be willing to rate it as the outstanding " Bang For Buck" performer of the day.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#372 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by IslandPink »

I had one in the early days of my DIY. It would be relatively easy to make a shunt-regulated supply for it, like Thomas had on his phono at Owston.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#373 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

JohnG wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 pm I hope this is not going off topic, but the 834 Phonostage seems to have made a good impression.
I like all the effort that has gone into its revival through a variety of build projects seen on the web.
There is also a recent release of a much improved power supply, that seem to work very well with it.
To those who heard the model on Sunday, would any body be willing to rate it as the outstanding " Bang For Buck" performer of the day.
The topic is phono stages, as is always the case, threads get de-railed. I have my own hierarchy of performers on the day and this was 2nd or 3rd IMO.

Steve did have a rather unusual SUT with it I believe, it sounded bloody good anyway!
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#374 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

It also had a set of less than common ecc83's in it that helped a lot. But yes, for me it was very good. But I dont know just what it would cost to replicate what Steve had.
Michael L
Old Hand

#375 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Michael L »

I recently went over to using a Pearl 2 phono. For the last few years I have been using a kit valve phono with Hashimoto HM3 SUTs. The Pearl has shown me that I can now sell the SUTs as the directly connected set up with my LOMC Transfiguration Spirit works very well. 'Ingenue' playing as I write is sounding exceptionally good. It would interesting to hear the Pearl set against other phono amplifiers.