Phono bake-off

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#166 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by ed »

but further....

I found this interesting, particularly as we don't see the legalese in the argument very often

http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_index.php

coincidence?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#167 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

That is complete bollocks to try and stop people hearing difference, not to help the process. Under that level of stupidity I doubt if I would know which way is up.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#168 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Ok . Let's suppose nick deliberately ducks up his phono stage . Anybody think thier subconscious will tell them it's sounds okay .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#169 Re: Phono bake-off

Let me try and understand this idiocy. Are we saying nobody can make a decision on what hi-fi to buy unless it is double blinded, we are incapable of just using music to make choices unless we kill all the other senses, including common sense.

Ludicrous and just deserves to be laughed at. I can tell you as I know how this process occurred, it is not done to help you, it is done to try and stop people hearing differences so people choose on specs and reputation. It was a process invented by the objectivists in the 1970's to try and counter subjective reviewing and wrest control of the industry back from people making their own decisions and not just buying on specs and name. I was there when it happened and one of the driving voices behind it was Quad. It gained some momentum and acceptance and is still current thought behind the feeling of people scared of their own ears. They even argue that it is the opposite, until you actually partake in it then you know what a farce it is. If you do enough of it some people are capable of being as perceptive as being as comfortable with choices made in their own home on their own system with their own music, EVERYTHING that takes you away from that takes away more of more your perceptive ability, until under full double blind with strange equipment and a strange room and strange music crashes all ability to choose - exactly what they want.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#170 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Cressy Snr »

You can use science to build equipment.
You CANNOT apply science to listening to music through audio equipment.
Blind testing has to be the stupidest concept I have ever come across.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#171 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmmmmmmm you can you know and it isnt, surely but each to one' s own I suppose.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#172 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by ed »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:31 pm You can use science to build equipment.
Blind testing has to be the stupidest concept I have ever come across.
I say, steady on old boy....
Is it not still used by all the drug research companies......

did you mean to say blind testing might be the stupidest concept you have ever come across when applied to audio testing?

further..as posts overlapped ... I'm deffo with Andrew on this one.
Last edited by ed on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#173 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

Though I will suggest for the phono comparisons we try and get a level volume setting by playing a test tone and adjusting the gain to voltage on the speakers. There is likely to be some differences in gain between the systems. It will only take 30 seconds for each stage. Also at the same time worth checking its still in phase and L/R hasn't been swapped around.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#174 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 pm
did you mean to say blind testing might be the stupidest concept you have ever come across when applied to audio testing?
Yes.
cressy
Shed dweller

#175 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by cressy »

Who cares? Thought it was just supposed to be abit of fun.......
(ducks for cover)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#176 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by IslandPink »

Apparently not - it's going to be much more serious philosophical confrontation :confused3:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#177 Re: Phono bake-off

Can someone tell me what drug research has to do with listening to music and hi-fi. Though back in the day a strong Purple Haze had an almost blinding effect, and did put a different perspective on the music. :drunken: :bounce:
iansr
Old Hand

#178 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by iansr »

There's some serious uninformed bollocks being posted here. Here's a clue. Hands up those people who think that when called upon to make a rational decision the result is entirely based on logic?
"Its good enough for Government work."
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#179 Re: Phono bake-off

If you mean me -"uninformed bollocks" my arse! what you are getting is the result of over 40 years experience of doing it and trying to explain how daft it is since this stupidity raised it head in the industry.

I have single blinded, double blinded, and on one daft occasion someone called it triple blind. I think that is when no one knows what is going on.
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#180 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Cressy Snr »

iansr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 pm There's some serious uninformed bollocks being posted here. Here's a clue. Hands up those people who think that when called upon to make a rational decision the result is entirely based on logic?
What has logic got to do with art?

What has appreciation of hi-fidelity music reproduction got to do with science?

Since when is it rational to prefer one type of presentation over another?

Art/Music reproduction cannot be reduced to numbers and measurement, when the sound coming out of it is being listened to by human beings. The heart rules the decisions, not the egoic mind.

There's no group of people quite as bad audiophiles except maybe teachers, for making a simple job ten times harder than it needs to be.

Why turn a phono stage comparison into a bureaucratic nightmare? Why try to intellectualise the process out of existence?

Bring the phono stages set your levels and just bloody listen to them. Let your hearts be your guide?