MP3

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 MP3

Post by andrew Ivimey »

In my usual totally cool and up to date way I've been listening to MP3s. For ages I realised that mp3s had a use; well, the losses that cut out quite a lot really ,left the instrumental parts of the music clear, naked and easy to concentrate on whilst copying the bass guitarist, learning the Mukinese Battle Horn's riffs and generally being able to concentrate on the nuts and bolts without the whole music getting in the way... And, of course, MP3 is shit.

But as MP3 is to be marooned unceremoniously out on the outer rim of the populace's memory I rather like the format! I'm still listening to learn but I do rather like the clarity anyway...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: MP3

Post by Dave the bass »

I found that too, working out parts from mp3 files helped me hear the bass parts in my head to work out what I had to copy.

I listen to mp3 files on my phone sometimes, I don't think I'm a bad person in doing that. Am I? Gulp.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: MP3

Post by Cressy Snr »

Most of my digital music collection is 256K AAC.
Audiophile credentials out the window. :lol: :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: MP3

Post by Mike H »

I've said this before, mp3s' bad rep is most likely from 20+ years ago, as was simply a compressed format as a way of downloading via the Internet (dial-up don't forget), and storing same on what in today's terms would be considered as minute hard drives in very slow computers, an audio track where e.g. WAV format was just so impossibly huge a file size. For the same reasons, the sampling rate was absolute sh!te to keep the bytes count down.

That was then. Nowadays I can't distinguish a modern good quality mp3 from anything else. Plus get more songs in the same storage. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#5 Re: MP3

Post by ed »

man the guns boys, all hands on deck, we're about to be boarded by mediocrity....

I remember around about 2005/2006 none of us scallywags would be seen dead listening to the likes of mp3..it was strictly the preserve of the yoof for their music on the go...

I remember tracking and mixing masters in all the elevated sample rates and saying I think there might be an improvement, and lots agreed.......

but then I also remember I hate myself for listening to the equipment and ignoring the music......

Now wind on 10 or so years and I've been listening to internet radio for long enough to know that I don't think I care anymore....

but if the yoof are into their mp3 and the old codgers are now saying they accept mp3 then what's in store for the middle ground audiophools!

snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: MP3

Post by Mike H »

Adapt or go extinct :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: MP3

Post by Nick »

Not sure what advantage mp3 has now over lossless now disk space and bandwidth is cheap.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: MP3

Post by Dave the bass »

For me, mp3 is better than lossless as the only place I play them on is my phone....which wont play lossless. Ha!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: MP3

Post by Mike H »

Ditto. As it is have to keep deciding which albums to keep on the iPhone, as need to release space for more...

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#10 Re: MP3

Post by andrew Ivimey »

90% of what I have on the phone doesn't get played on the phone. imoh.

I bought Samsung back in the day solely because it does Flac. Mac does not. I think Samsung might even be able to get music out of a slice of toast - more accepting.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#11 Re: MP3

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:00 pm Not sure what advantage mp3 has now over lossless now disk space and bandwidth is cheap.
It streams over internet radio

I wonder if her Nokia can do something with toast....mmmm
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: MP3

Post by Nick »

Not a advantage as such. As time goes on a lot of streaming is changing format it seems.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#13 Re: MP3

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm
Not a advantage as such. As time goes on a lot of streaming is changing format it seems.
tis true that time goes on....but

it's an advantage to me at the moment cos my antiquated kit wont even stream aac......when the time comes it maybe an advantage to change...but

I have to check myself each morning to see if I'm still really here so it goes way down on my list of priorities..ymmv :D