FM

Subjects that don't have their own home
Stuart Dean
User

#1 FM

Post by Stuart Dean »

I've not dabbled with audio for some time now but look in on this forum occasionally to check out what is going on currently.
Some months ago the was some interest in those little class D switching amps available fron China at a ridiculously small price.
I did play with a couple of versions myself and they were really not bad at all considering their low price,low power requirements and cost.
Recently whilst browsing one of the many Chinese electronic web sites I came across this litte item and decided to try one.
This was a Geekcreit DSP and PLL digital stereo FM receiver module.
This is a full FM stereo receiver with a digital display and 2 3 watt (optomistic) audio amps on a board measuring 75mm X 45mm.
The sensitivity of this thing is insane. I powered it up with a laptop USB outlet and plugged in a pair of headphones.
With no ariel but with my thum on the input I was greeted a clean FM output. Touching a small screwdrive on the input locked in a strong stereo signal
and illuminated the stereo indicator.
Some anomilies. To increase both frequency and gain the encoders have to be turned in an anticlockwise direction. Not really a problem but a bit odd.
It's possible to do an auto scan by briefly pressing the frequency control and it scans upwards stopping with each usable signal but I've not been able to find a way to scan down.

I later rigged it up with a better ariel and amplifier and it's really quite impressive for what it is compared to a DAB source.

The unit is available from Banggood.com at I think around £7.50. Hey thats a lot less than you would expect to pay for a half decent valve amp filter cap.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: FM

Post by jack »

Banggood is full of wonderment - one of my sons has been using it for years and I bought a few bits n bobs from them in a test run last year.

It's actually, mostly, pretty good stuff, like AliExpress on steroids.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: FM

Post by simon »

Never heard of Banggood.com before - looks like a whole new way of spending money. £7.48 for a FM tuner, incredible really.

https://www.banggood.com/DSP-PLL-Digita ... mds=search
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: FM

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 12:52 pm Never heard of Banggood.com before - looks like a whole new way of spending money. £7.48 for a FM tuner, incredible really.

https://www.banggood.com/DSP-PLL-Digita ... mds=search
The bizarre thing is that delivery to the UAE (where Iive) is $0.30.

You can lose a LOT of time in Banggood... One thing I have found them good for is hardware, as in M3/M4/Mx bits - all sorts of stuff - nicely anodised standoffs etc.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Stuart Dean
User

#5 Re: FM

Post by Stuart Dean »

Yes I can certainly reccommend Banggood. I've bought a number of different items and always been satisfied.
Their delivery is usually very quick.
And yes it is possible to spend rather a lot of time on their site.
A full FM stereo tuner for less than eight quid is exceptional.
If anyone is inclined to try one I'm sure they will be astounded with it's performance.