Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Cressy Snr »

If we go way back to the days when Nick started his forum, we had Paul, Darren, JamesD, Andrew, and Nick. All building interesting stuff and commenting on and gently helping out those of us like me, DTB etc, who had just started building valve gear.

The reason I actually know what I'm doing now, is down to those people. They rarely post now, because apart from the fact that they have their own lives to lead, there are simply no new people who are the slightest bit interested in building anything, and why should they be! So the situation now, as opposed to ten years ago, is that there is no one there anymore for them to to give any advice to. It's an old man's hobby and maybe it will decline until it dies with us, if it continues along the same path.

My particular interest is in trying, in my own way, however small, to work through, and design hi-fi equipment, namely speakers that work in people's living spaces, that are acceptable to women, and give very high quality sound at the same time.
One or two of us have heard in their own or my living space, and "seen" the results of my efforts.

I first stuck my head above the parapet, on the potential of designing for WAF and good sound, via AoS and was simply sneered at.... interestingly enough, not by Marco, who along with Macca, saw plenty of merit in what I was up to and to their credit, they did try to support me in that argument, against a few arrogant eejits, but it was a waste of time in the end.

So what should this forum be. Well I think it should be a place where all views are acceptable, a place of diversity and inclusion, and should be celebrating its roots in DIY audio, expanding its coverage of that and thinking about how this throwback to the post war era of hobbyist hi-fi we have here can do some good in the industry.

For my own part re DIY, I'm now out of ideas; the limit has been reached, I know Nick hinted on another thread that he wasn't sure how many more designs I had in me. Well unfortunately at the moment there are none, so others need to step up. Not necessarily in the blog style I do, but....

If electricity goes through it, post!
If you change a resistor, post!
If your amp blows up, post!
If you stub your toe on your speaker, post!
If you get your multimeter out, post!
If you make an arm out of a broom handle and a rusty nail, post!
We still wanna know about 2A3s, 26s, 71As, 801s, PX4s, Tribute transformers, mosfets, decent speaker drivers ad infinitum.

Oh and stop whining and be in the moment. If a miserable bastard like me can give it up after almost a lifetime of depressive illness then anyone can :wink:
Quit referring to or insinuating that inclusive lefties like me are grovelling apologists and anything for a quiet life!
Step away from the cans of kerosene
Grow up!
Quit forming cliques, and remember it's only a bloody stereo when all is said and done.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Oh and Chris...

Get that subwoofer PA project up on here. Sounds like it'll turn into a right ripping yarn :D
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cressy
Shed dweller

#18 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by cressy »

Design me a sep while you're at it that will cost £6.27, work first time and blow the pass f5 out of the water
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Cressy Snr »

No chance of that. The Doc and Nick will tell you why that ain't gonna happen :D
chris661
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by chris661 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 pm Oh and Chris...

Get that subwoofer PA project up on here. Sounds like it'll turn into a right ripping yarn :D
Here you go, Steve.
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 4&p=143657

Fun ahead.

Chris
ed
retired

#21 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by ed »

whoop I found my password...It seems it's 3 years since I retired...what japes since then!

I've been rubber-necking of late, which has caused me to go and find my password, the reason:

After nearly every eggborough and owston I bored a number of people, mostly Steve Shiels, with "why do we never get any honest feedback after these evebts. It all seems to be the usual back-slapping bonhomie". Most of my stuff was done in total isolation, and with the possible exception of Steve and sometimes Scott I never got the nudge to improve stuff.

Criticism is good! even with the compromise of some rough stuff in the mix....

fwiw I share the sentiment that it's easy to get the feeling that nobody is interested in what one is doing, and it does generate posting apathy....

I've still got a lot of 3 way active stuff going on with LR active filters and class D tpa3116 amps....also a lot of prototyping Walsh vs radialstrahler omnis on the go...but frankly I don't post it cos I'm pretty sure I'd be talking to myself....I've even stopped loading stuff to my website........

it looks like a bit of a heated discussion has woken me up though...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Welcome back Ed.
Good to see you. :D

You certainly would pique my interest with those omnis.
as you will have noticed, I'm a firm convert to those.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#23 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Scottmoose »

Well, I'm interested Ed & I'd love to lend an ear when you've time. Always good to hear something new.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by pre65 »

Hi there Ed, good to hear from you.

I'd love to read about your projects. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#25 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Paul Barker »

Glad your around Ed, even though I am not around.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#26 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Ali Tait »

Nice to see you back Ed. :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by IslandPink »

Yowsa - Ed's back :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#28 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Thermionic Idler »

I've been thinking a lot about this today in the gaps between work-related stressball moments.

I certainly agree with the viewpoint that new blood and refreshing of ideas is always a good thing. Pretty much any forum can benefit from that. However I do feel that along with that, all members of the community have a duty to ensure that the group remains inclusive, and not act in a way that results in new members being discouraged from joining or contributing, or the driving away of long standing members with plenty of valuable experience to offer.

Whilst I agree that the forum has become more lively of late, the nature of that liveliness has clearly not sat well with a number of long standing members. I do fear that as a result, we risk a level of member attrition occurring that ends up being more damaging to its overall health than the previous 'quiet life'. I'm perfectly ready to be wrong about that, and I hope I am, but as an owner of a pair of speakers built by Colin Topps, I was somewhat dismayed to witness his departure on this thread. I wonder how many others are departing quietly?

And am I alone in feeling uncomfortable about the way Scott is being treated right now? He and Steve worked together to design the Metronome speakers that I bought off Steve and which replaced a pair of commercial speakers which now retail for over £6k. They give Meredith and I immense listening satisfaction - so surely he must know what he's talking about to some degree? Admittedly they do have a crossover with only one component in it so a very different proposition to what's being discussed, but even so, I hope that the majority of my fellow members would agree that if Scott were driven away it would be a huge loss to this forum. I don't think he will though, he seems perfectly capable of fighting his corner and rightly so.

Anyway, just my 2p's worth. I'm probably about to get machine-gunned for this but whatever. Returning to my whiskey and Bix Beiderbecke on the Garrard / OTL / Mets. Happiness.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#29 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Scottmoose »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:02 pm It needed derailing because it was a load of bollocks.
Scottmoose wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:46 pm Says who, exactly? And why does that person think that their opinion is more important than that of other people?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm Says ME who do you bloody think.
Scott is going nowhere.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Cressy Snr »

I don't think Scott is going anywhere Dave. Knowing him, I suspect that the more flak he gets, the more he will dig his heels in.
He knows what's what and thats a fact. He saw the potential of my 2006 ragbag of ideas about two direction tapering Voigt pipes, pulled them into line, and the rest is history. You have the ultimate expression of that design collaboration, plus Colin's build quality, playing in your living room now.
He didn't have much to do with the OmniMets, but without that groundwork with the straight up Mets, he helped me to perfect, the folded ones could not have been developed to such a fab level of sound quality.