Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#1 Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Greg »

The comment below was written on another forum by a self appointed arbiter of everything to do with HI-FI in a discussion specifically about our forum, Audio-Talk.

They operate like a cosy little bunch of mates who just reinforce each others opinions and that has created a false self satisfied consensus, there are differences but are minor and not encouraged. Basically they need a bloody good kick up the arse to get them out of their comfort zone. I am not talking about disruption, but by just expressing YOUR experience and opinions hopefully we will help in opening some minds.

I think Nick wants this, he realises his forum has stagnated, it was far more active in the past and has now lost its mojo. So any members with spare forum time join, don't disrupt they had enough of that with Jammy, just help them find their mojo again. Of all the forums out there I think this one has the virtue and potential to be an honest benefit to the industry to counter what is happening at the Big Three (WW,PFM,AoS).

This got me thinking, particularly giving regard to the evolvement of my own journey within the hobby. I can readily see that as my journey has proceeded, there has been a corresponding change of relevance in what I contribute or more selfishly, draw from the forum and its members for my personal benefit and hopefully, the benefit of others. AT is over ten years old with an active membership that broadly speaking, knows each other well, often personally. Long standing friendships, even business collaboration has been a result of Nick setting AT up as an off shoot from the World Audio Designs forum where many of us previously resided.

At that time I was very into DIY within the bounds of my competence because I liked to listen to a quality sound but didn't have the budget for over the counter box swapping. My hobby evolution was driven by a desire to own a system that gave me music listening satisfaction and was on a continuous improvement course. I have now more or less achieved my goal and don't expect there to be major changes in the future apart from equipment replacement to negate wear and tear. To a degree I have also moved away from DIY because I can now afford to buy commercial products that performs to my satisfaction. For example, my DAC, pre and Power amps are integrated into one commercial product that has no facility for even component tweaking. I know others have different priorities be it the simple satisfaction of building something from scratch, a persistent hunt for the Audio holy grail, audio electronic education or simply the camaraderie gained through membership to AT. I like to be involved in an active forum, but I'm conscious that as my system has more or less arrived at a place I am happy with, there is less to draw from or contribute to accordingly.

Is the pasted analysis above correct? What does the future hold for this forum and it's members? Would it be constructive to discuss and expand on all this? Where do you want to go with your hobby and your club membership?

It seems to me there is plenty of material here worthy of more discussion. What do others think?
shane
Social outcast

#2 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by shane »

Where was that taken from, Greg? I'd like to have a look.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#4 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by shane »

Thanks Richard!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Irene Idler
User

#5 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Irene Idler »

Jesus christ. Am I back in high school?
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by pre65 »

Perhaps Nick would like to give his thoughts on the subject ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by cressy »

There are truths in there. As far as I can see the forum has marks speakers, Daves pre power amps and Phils mosfet as running project threads, and Shane and son in law ( that right?) amp project as a starting thread.
I have nothing to contribute, i have loads of things rattling in my head, not out of ideas by any means, but little that it think will interest other members.
There is nothing worse than a thread in which you are talking to yourself.
I have in my head and on paper an arm design, another new turntable based on a td 160, a sep kt77 amp and a speaker with sealed box bass and o/b mid and top. I have all the tools to build pretty much whatever I want to, but Will i start these threads? Probably not.

Is anyone interested in me building yet another deck? Maybe in passing. An arm to match my lenco design? Maybe, there hasn't been an arm built in a long time. A pentode amp? Probably not. Speakers? Dont go there.

Anyone else got any projects in mind? It would be interesting to see wether regular contributors have something in mind and like me expect either confrontation or apathy
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by pre65 »

I read and digest EVERYTHING on here (apart from Bill and Ben who are blocked) and find the vast majority interesting.

But with ongoing projects (including most of mine) I don't feel the need to comment on every new stage, as I'm sure others don't about what I write. It certainly does not mean I'm not interested in the topic, or grateful for the information imparted.

In fact, sometime I wish more of us would show the process, rather than just show the finished item.

So I say Ant, don't assume no one is interested because you get few comments.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#9 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

cressy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:06 am There are truths in there. As far as I can see the forum has marks speakers, Daves pre power amps and Phils mosfet as running project threads, and Shane and son in law ( that right?) amp project as a starting thread.
I have nothing to contribute, i have loads of things rattling in my head, not out of ideas by any means, but little that it think will interest other members.
There is nothing worse than a thread in which you are talking to yourself.
I have in my head and on paper an arm design, another new turntable based on a td 160, a sep kt77 amp and a speaker with sealed box bass and o/b mid and top. I have all the tools to build pretty much whatever I want to, but Will i start these threads? Probably not.

Is anyone interested in me building yet another deck? Maybe in passing. An arm to match my lenco design? Maybe, there hasn't been an arm built in a long time. A pentode amp? Probably not. Speakers? Dont go there.

Anyone else got any projects in mind? It would be interesting to see wether regular contributors have something in mind and like me expect either confrontation or apathy
As an aside, sorry to go OT. I have had a G99 and a late 1960's Neat broadcast arm (very rare) waiting for a plinth etc for over two years. I just don't have time. Anyone volunteer to do it.

I will make it a sep thread as well. EDIT put it in projects.
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Nick »

Perhaps Nick would like to give his thoughts on the subject
Not particular, as I am not sure I have many. I would have thought before asking "where it is?" and "where is it?" going, a better question to ask would be "what is it?"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#11 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Scottmoose »

Well, I've several projects in mind; the trick is time, money and space. At some point I'd really like to do my own variation on / 'homage' to the big Dunlavy SCIV 3-way floorstanders, but without the stepped baffle (not a fan of the concept) & hopefully a bit more attractive.

That sound you hear? The long-suffering Colin running for the hills. ;)

I wouldn't inflict this one on him.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#12 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A forum is its members not its owner, the owner is just the playground supervisor who pays for the playground and who joins in the games.

Forums die due to conflict, complacency, in crowd domination that scares off new input, cosy place :roll: I could probably think of more, but the point is IMO you have to keep reinventing yourself, attract new member, new ideas and new input. I think Nick wants this, but your cosy little in crowd of agreement and certainty that you are right has stopped this, so the forum stagnates. As I say you need a proverbial kick up the arse with new people and new ideas. A bit of taming down of the ego designers might help. Just because you don't understand what he is saying doesn't make him right!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Toppsy »

With all the recent abusive and foul mouthed postings of the recent new members with particular reference to two particularly offensive individual recent members that us lot at Audio-Talk all talk bollocks attitude and the trashing of members threads I have decided to stop posting.

I have one new project build that would be of interest to some that is a new build speaker design. During a recent stock take I discovered I have 2-pair the MA #6 drivers left over from my Edingdale speaker builds. Not enough to make another pair of Edingdales but if coupled with some nice tweeters I have in stock would make a great floorstander in the D'Appolito style configuration. I can already hear the tapping of Richard's keyboard typing away now having said this!! The speakers will be offered for sale with all proceeds going to two charities of my choice. The thread will include full design details/drawings and step-by-step construction. However as the design does not conform to Richard Dunn's philosophy of how a speaker should be designed and built I shall not be posting this tread on A-T in fear of the thread being trashed by the Bunsen bum chums. It will be posted on AoS forum where these muppets are banned.

As most if not all my other speaker builds would likely to be for commercial sale through Reiver Acoustics I suspect they would be of little interest to most the members of this forum. So again fearing thread trashing these will not be posted here.

So for now I shall retire into the background and occasionally have a look in to see if the muppets are still around posting abuse and foul language but not post.

Good bye for now.
Michael L
Old Hand

#14 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by Michael L »

Audio-talk was a pleasant oasis from all the shit going on in the world. The sharing of information and ideas in a friendly and respectful manner in many cases has become victim to those who appear to get off on conflict and massaging their egos. Why join a forum if you have no interest in the ideas of fellow members and insult them at every opportunity.
The foe button is of little use. Perhaps there should be a 'pub car park' type room where people can go to continue their squabbles. I was very happy when Jammy left but the peace was short lived.
chris661
Shed dweller

#15 Re: Audio-Talk - Where is it? Where is it going?

Post by chris661 »

cressy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:06 am Anyone else got any projects in mind? It would be interesting to see wether regular contributors have something in mind and like me expect either confrontation or apathy
Most of the time it feels like it's the latter. The last few threads I've started about any of my speaker designs had a few views, but not much response.
I know I use very different design ideas to most of the people here, so maybe that's it. Of course, recently there's been some confrontation too.

My next project, which I may or may not post about, will be my biggest undertaking. A quantity of eight high-power 15" PA subwoofers. It's gonna be fun!

Chris

Edit - Colin, don't go too far. You'll be missed.