A twisted tale of turntables

Subjects that don't have their own home
Irene Idler
User

#1 A twisted tale of turntables

Post by Irene Idler »

My best friend from the US reminisces about his history with turntables. Too good a story not to share, despite the unsatisfying ending.

http://bodger.dreamwidth.org/23539.html

(To be fair, while he insists on sticking with his Technics linear tracking turntable, he *does* have a rather interesting Carver power amp and a pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers, which sound great but look like alien monuments and would be mind-bogglingly tacky in almost any civilised surroundings. He's also the person who taught me everything I know about CD transports and valves, and he once built me a portable battery powered guitar amp out of pieces of an old blueprint duplicating machine. Surely he's got to deserve some respect for that.)
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Neal
Shed dweller

#2 Re: A twisted tale of turntables

Post by Neal »

Err no...

Lol :lol:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: A twisted tale of turntables

Post by Cressy Snr »

Interesting.
The Brit equivalents of those yellow records were the "Kidditunes" 78s
A childhood friend of mine had a Kidditunes record player in red and blue plastic.
A bit of long lost innocence below:

"Fun and joy for girl and boy"
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Irene Idler
User

#4 Re: A twisted tale of turntables

Post by Irene Idler »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 pm"Fun and joy for girl and boy"
That's so fun! We found a 78 today that appears to be 100% undocumented on the internet -- a rare thing in and of itself -- by a group called 'The Marimbaphone Orchestra', which is the sort of thing that's just up any kid's alley. Lots of fast fun melodies, a bit on the repetitive side, but I can literally picture my brother as a kid dancing madly to this.

I think I'd better not mention that to him now, as he is the big guy in this photo:

"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman