Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#271 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

NOPE! I have always, and will always, call a spade a spade, show up lies, point to the slurpers who prey on this industry, counter over inflated egos with a sharp pin, give my opinion where I see fit, and refuse to tolerate eeediots.

I seriously couldn't give a feck if you don't like it. If you want me you have to have all of it, honesty an'all. You may consider that too high a price to pay, some have, that is your choice not mine.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#272 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 pm NOPE! I have always, and will always, call a spade a spade, show up lies, point to the slurpers who prey on this industry, counter over inflated egos with a sharp pin, give my opinion where I see fit, and refuse to tolerate eeediots.

I seriously couldn't give a feck if you don't like it. If you want me you have to have all of it, honesty an'all. You may consider that too high a price to pay, some have, that is your choice not mine.
We only tolerate you Richard because Nick favours your presence on this forum. Most others here would probably wish you gone.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#273 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by shane »

So as long as you can carry on spilling your bile, that's the only thing that matters is it? Never mind that you're offending practically every other member, to the point that many people will get fed up and leave, that's not your concern. The truth, your truth that is, is more important. You're quite happy to ruin something that a lot of people love, because your principals are so bloody important? Next thing, you'll be sounding off about freedom of speech. Well, Nick's granted you that in his forum but with freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to respect the feelings of others. That seems to have passed you by.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Firebottle
User

#274 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Firebottle »

As a relative newcomer on here I don't wish to upset the apple cart in any way and apologise if any of my postings have had or instigated such an effect.

My 'trade' status is a very loose one and I have no intention of attempting to sell or coercing anyone on here to purchase anything.
I know most of you are avid DIYers and probably glean much more satisfaction from experimentation than purchasing anything off anyone.

It is a sad state of affairs that for the first time on any forum I have seen fit to use the IGNORE function, but c'est la vie.

I shall continue to enjoy the passion and insight of audio experimentation.
Don't you just love valve phono stages 8)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#275 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

shane wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 pm So as long as you can carry on spilling your bile, that's the only thing that matters is it? Never mind that you're offending practically every other member, to the point that many people will get fed up and leave, that's not your concern. The truth, your truth that is, is more important. You're quite happy to ruin something that a lot of people love, because your principals are so bloody important? Next thing, you'll be sounding off about freedom of speech. Well, Nick's granted you that in his forum but with freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to respect the feelings of others. That seems to have passed you by.
I have ruined nothing if you wish to be an idiots that is your choice not mine. So THE truth is bile now, people like you are strange.

It is classic shoot the piano player. This is all me is it, Firey has the sun shining out of his arse, go back and look in the thread. Look who is selling his product and saying it beats everything and look at who is telling him to stop talking bollocks and spamming, does that make me selling nva. Someone needs to get some working brains.
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#276 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by simon »

simon wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 pm Thanks Chris and Mike, I'll update the blog when I get chance.
Done. Any more for anymore?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#277 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Anyone up for truth, or do you just want boring simple lives. I wish now I had attended Owston with the Phono2 and we could have done it there. I REPEAT I couldn't give a shit who wins, it is the process that makes us all winners apart from the spammers and slurpers.

Note how Firey has put me on block so he can avoid ONCE AGAIN finding out the truth. Every time a possibility of this comparison has happened he has stopped it apart from organising it amoungst his AoS shills. What the feck is he scared of, the worst that can happen is he is not the best, is that really such a disaster, is his life so one dimensional I COULDN'T CARE LESS WHO WINS I JUST WANT THE PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which is being denied.
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shane
Social outcast

#278 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by shane »

The truth is the truth, and ruins nothing. Your self centred blind little version of the truth, your accusations, your insults, your paranoia, your insistence that everybody hates you when in reality nobody gives a damn, they are your bile, they are ruining this forum, and they're probably ruining your life. They are not welcome. No one wants to know. Keep going with the hobby stuff, but please keep the rest to yourself, like the rest of us do.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#279 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

"My version of the truth" show me an alternative then. The rest is just pure insult, not deserved.

I don't back down when I know I am right, I can play insult tennis with you if that is what you want, but remember you served the ball.
shane
Social outcast

#280 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by shane »

But how would you ever know that you were wrong?

I'm not asking you to back down. Just fight your fights somewhere else. No one wants to see them any more.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#281 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

There is only one person here creating a fight *YOU* and of course the flea who never misses an excuse. I would much prefer to play the tune and have it discussed, itstead of turning it into pure ad hominem which you have done. At HFS it would not have been allowed, you discuss the music, the subject, not the piano player - so I am afraid there is only one person to look to for this conflict - YOU!

The insults have now started, I will happily carry them on like a form of tennis, your shot then my shot :roll: or we can discuss the subject, up to you.

EDIT or we can discuss food.
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#282 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Ray P »

I have to say that the Owston buffet was good food for the price; I really enjoyed the sausage rolls and the scones weren't bad either. What about others who attended, what did you think?

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#283 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ah, the "process" yes,
that's what it's all about if we wish to make progress towards the realisation of the ultimate sound; the best sound, for us as individuals. The "process" is the ultimate expression of the subjective. I prefer to call the process the comparison rather than the bake-off, and it was the comparison at Owston last weekend that has, as most Owstons are wont to do, led to an improvement in the resolution and dynamics of my own system.

Often, when faced with a comparison, you don't need somebody else to tell you that your system is perhaps not as good as you thought it was; it becomes obvious where the deficiencies lie once you are in the midst of an event like Owston.

Listening to my little omni speakers do their thang against the rest of the speakers there, I noticed a marked lack of dynamism compared to the most of the rest of the gear; IOW my speakers sounded boring as fook compared to the larger OB contingent, but most of the OB contingent was in my face apart from one pair, so that wasn't right for me either.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the speakers were not actually where the problem lay, it was actually the front end of my amplifiers. The input stages were biased wrongly and had been since they were built. You see my efficient speakers masked the problem to some extent as they were not taxing the input stage as much as the less efficient speakers that were being used with the amp later on the Saturday evening.
Yes my speakers were boring, but they remained fast and clean, it was just the rise and fall of the dynamics that were being somehow held right back because the volume was having to be raised well above the norm becuse of the large room.
This effect was worse when DTB's Doc modded Celestions were in use and also when the Cubes were being used.
The lovely horn mouthed speakers sounded great, which was odd but there it was.

But for the "process" I would never have deduced that the problem with dynamics was due to my amp rather than the speakers.

Today I spent an hour or so with a multimeter and a variety of cathode resistors for the 6BS7 differential pair on the input of my monoblocks and with a bit of measuring of voltages and currents, got to the right bias point, one that would allow the input stage to swing twice as far as it had been doing previously. It had been biased way too cold, so that the negative excursion of the signal was running into cutoff on each half cycle. I've now got the two pentodes that make up the diff pair properly centre biased, and the improvement is not subtle. It was an embarrassingly careless design error and the buck stops firmly at me.

These comparisons or bake-offs, if you will are not pissing contests, it is all a learning process which should lead to progress for everyone involved. There is always room for improvement.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#284 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

FYI

This was a picture posted at AoS by Firey from MiBO last December, now did I do this, was this part of my bile and desire for conflict. So Shane what do you think of this. Was this not rubbing it in as he knew I wasn't ALLOWED to go.

shane
Social outcast

#285 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by shane »

Oulfnt agree more. Shocking thing to do, and the guy deserves to be slowly castrated. Give him s ring. Send him a letter. Take him to court. Post dogs hit through his letterbox. I'll back you to the hilt all the way.

Just don't use this forum to do it.