Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#241 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dave the bass »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am I don't want to as I am trade I would be seen as grooming.
I reckon you could do yourself a favour and get rid of that assumption Richard. I know you more as as DIY/fettler/'encourager' rather than as trade.

I think I'm not alone in that, don't exclude yourself, you're a fettler as much as the rest of us (here!).
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#242 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Mike H »

I used to be trade, never stopped me. Used to sell Danbury Electronics' transformers. Anybody wanted any, they'd ask. All info was on the web site. If not, not. I never did any sales pitching here or any other forum.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#243 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:03 am I used to be trade, never stopped me. Used to sell Danbury Electronics' transformers. Anybody wanted any, they'd ask. All info was on the web site. If not, not. I never did any sales pitching here or any other forum.
Well said our-MikeH, Precisely! Actually, your links to Danbury enabled a lot of us to build projects, it's win-win as far as I was/am concerned.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#244 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well HFS has a NVA room where NVA is promoted talked about reviewed and for bespoke product sold. But only that room. I want to use the forum to promote direct sellers so any one building stuff for direct selling can have room at HFS the same as me.

OK you see me as acceptable but I see it as creating an excuse for the slurpers and middlemen who add nothing but cost to join in and pollute. Regarding grooming you see forums like PFM and AoS signing up manufacturers and retailers for £50 a time to have permission to create shills and spam the membership, there is too much going on IMO, and getting worse just look at the New Wigwam for how polluted they wish to make on-line hi-fi, just as polluted as the old magazine and professional reviewers way. I moaned about Firebottle because he is one of them polluting AoS with Marco's permission, and all for £50 :roll: He is largely a direct seller and I would promote him apart from the games he has played trying to stop open comparison of his Phono stage with others. I suppose he couldn't get out of it at Owston, but I have been trying to get it to happen for over two years since he started spamming AoS.

I do some crazy things, all lateral thought, as projects. A couple such as Cubix Pro turned into being made available. I have about finished one that i was going to bring to Owston involving a MC Phono Stage with 4000va power supply (4 x 1000 in one box each one powering a gain stage) bonkers but fun. The old fashioned 3 way speaker is this sort of thing though so far sales are not doing their usual summer drop off which is my time window.

ALSO looking at what happened 7 years ago with the London Bake Off Show for a lot of people it seems my involvement is toxic. Anyway I will think about it. David der Four String Guitar is only about 10 mins away, so perhaps I can just help in the background and he and others would front it.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#245 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Mike H wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:03 am I used to be trade, never stopped me. Used to sell Danbury Electronics' transformers. Anybody wanted any, they'd ask. All info was on the web site. If not, not. I never did any sales pitching here or any other forum.
Can't you see the difference, you are supportive trade not parasitic trade as you supplied components, of course they should be welcome. But a retailer who sell £1600 mains leads :shock: , c'mon that is just bonkers and shows the person up to be exactly what I say, do you really want him and similar there all smiles and second hand car salesman "cheers bro" :roll: buying meals. You are being groomed, that is what I say should be avoided. But it is all your decision I just point to it. The industry doesn't like you lot, you don't contribute to their slurp, stay the way you are and feck 'em.
cressy
Shed dweller

#246 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by cressy »

Same here. If someone wants something they ask. I dont put anything on here, I dont really build anything of interest to this lot anyway, pretty much everyone on here is perfectly capable of building their own stuff, theres nobody on here who couldnt build a passive pre or a turntable, or anything else for that matter if they wanted to.
My nuvistor phono stage would never have been dragged out of my head were it not for the help of people here.
I think ive taken a heck of alot more from this forum than I have given. I only really post here, on tas every now and then because I cant stand all the inter forum pissing contests, and refuse to 'put myself about' on forums. I dont want anything to do with any of it. Probably not the best business model in the world, but im never going to be richard Branson so who gives a shit.

I dont think 'trade' is a label that anyone here puts on anyone. Nobody cares if someone is trade, Mike for example was a go to guy if someone wanted a transformer, and freely gives his expertise in circuit design, modelling circuits in spice, and if course transformers.
Nick will point anyone in the right direction when asked advice, and expect you to go off and use the information given to work it out for yourself. Kinda like a teacher prompting a student
Colin is quite happy to give advice on veneering/ finishing, if it is in members area of expertise, the help is always there
If someone wanted to build a lenco in the manner I do, id have no problem helping them do that, I dont think it would even occur to me to say no
I don't think anyone here really gives a monkeys if another member is 'trade'
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#247 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Cressy note my previous posts I discount you and Nick from my moans. And obviously anyone supplying component should be welcome and more of them, they are the people who should be promoting to you.

Remember everything I say is my opinion, nothing more.
cressy
Shed dweller

#248 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by cressy »

Dont take the post as a moan, im just illustrating the point that genuinely, nobody cares if you are trade. This is a different place to other fora as you know, and that the 'usual' forum behaviours are largely absent. We have had members for a short time who were trade and realised that trying to sell stuff to members of this forum was a hiding to nothing so didnt bother.
Members here are knowlegable, and as it is primarily diy that is done here, probably look at a product and rather than thinking 'i must have that' think 'i wonder If I can make that and do it better'
Every now and then a member will come on and say that something is great, I pay attention to that, knowing that member genuinely thinks that whatever it is is great.

Thats part of the reason I have been posting ramblings and plenty of shite and stupid questions on here for ten years, and nothing elsewhere
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#249 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Daniel Quinn »

This forum represents all that is good about hifi as a hobby , even pre { whom I am pleased to see looks exactly as I imagined he would :D }

As far as I can see , it only has 1 trade member and I am willing to bet nobody on this forum as purchased a £695 mains cable of him :mrgreen:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#250 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by simon »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 am Nick, could you set up an Owston 2017 sticky with the links to Simon and Ray's blogs?

http://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogsp ... -2017.html

http://ratbagp.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/o ... -land.html

Ray
There already is one Ray, one for all our meets at the top of this sub forum. It's just that I've been beyond rubbish at updating it...

I'll make another post with links to this meet's blogs and threads, and my intention is to track back through previous meets to get a record. The only thing that defeats me is time.
shane
Social outcast

#251 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by shane »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm This forum represents all that is good about hifi as a hobby , even pre { whom I am pleased to see looks exactly as I imagined he would :D }

As far as I can see , it only has 1 trade member and I am willing to bet nobody on this forum as purchased a £695 mains cable of him :mrgreen:
Two, if you count Nick.

The point is that this forum is small enough for the main players to know each other. Everyone knows everyone's angle, and if they're trade, well we're all grown ups and we know how the world works. Everyone knows MCRU Dave makes unfeasibly expensive mains cables (to me, any cable costing more than 50p/metre is unfeasibly expensive) but he makes no bones about it and seems like a decent bloke. If he helps Nick to make a living, so much the better, and if he buys everyone supper then better still. No-one here is likely to be seduced into spending vast amounts of cash without making a well informed judgement based on the merits of the product rather than the subversive character of the seller.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#252 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I Discounted Nick as he makes the stuff.

As for being a decent bloke , if you can take £695 quid off a fellow human being for a mains cable , Then in my book you cannot be , but that's just me .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#253 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

As I say it is your choice, I just point and have opinions. Remember I have had over 40 years of watching the crooks ruin our industry. Back in the 1950's and early 60's it was all like you lot.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#254 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:31 pm I Discounted Nick as he makes the stuff.

As for being a decent bloke , if you can take £695 quid off a fellow human being for a mains cable , Then in my book you cannot be , but that's just me .
£695 mains lead, look again DQ he sells one for over £1600. I would NEVER trust someone who did that, it is bordering on criminal, ethically if not legally.
Nick
Site Admin

#255 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Ray P wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 am Nick, could you set up an Owston 2017 sticky with the links to Simon and Ray's blogs?

http://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogsp ... -2017.html

http://ratbagp.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/o ... -land.html

Ray
There already is one Ray, one for all our meets at the top of this sub forum. It's just that I've been beyond rubbish at updating it...

I'll make another post with links to this meet's blogs and threads, and my intention is to track back through previous meets to get a record. The only thing that defeats me is time.

I have created one anyway in news. You can all decide which is better.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.