The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1771 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm For a new bike, I was going to get myself measured up at somewhere like cyclefit and then go to wiggle...

...or is there a better approach...
Save a fortune! Pull an old one out the skip, make it work, ride it!

Sorted!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1772 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:59 pm
jack wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm For a new bike, I was going to get myself measured up at somewhere like cyclefit and then go to wiggle...

Save a fortune! Pull an old one out the skip, make it work, ride it!

Sorted!
I've done that for the last 35 years...

But now, eventually, I've grown up and want a proper bike 😀
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1773 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

That'll be the 2nd new 'whizz-bang' bike in the team, I'm concerned about our 'image' :)

Re- converting your Holdsworth, I've been a-thinking..... a cheap way to try SS is to remove the derailleur (after breaking/splitting the chain), take a straight edge off the biggest chain wheel if its got more than one and seeing which cog on the gearset it lines up with best. For me it was '3rd' on a 5 sp gearset. Cut and tension the chain and go for a ride and see if you like it or if its even rideable given your locale. Its also how I got into SS/FG cycling on the cheap.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1774 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

I had thought of that, but the chain is worn and the front rings are too - basically the chainset is shagged (technical biking term, that).

I have a link press (don't we all) so could easily try this anyway. The bike as-is is pretty rough - I estimate at least 25,000 miles on that frame...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#1775 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by steve s »

jack wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 pm I had thought of that, but the chain is worn and the front rings are too - basically the chainset is shagged (technical biking term, that).

I have a link press (don't we all) so could easily try this anyway. The bike as-is is pretty rough - I estimate at least 25,000 miles on that frame...
So loads of life still in it... ?
I had a holdsworth cyclone deluxe when I was in my teens wish I still had it... most holdsworth are well worth restoring as I'm sure you know...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1776 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

How will you translate a Cyclefit fitting into a subsequent off the peg purchase?

If you're going to buy off the peg from Wiggle (like I just have) it's pretty easy to make sure you buy the right size of bike without needing Cyclefit (its part of what Wiggle do). That's where I'm at so the next thing is to do the detailed set-up to suit me, things like cleat position, saddle adjustment (vertical and horizontal, stem length, etc. I could probably squeeze a small amount of extra performance out of my legs with some professional analysis of my riding position but I can easily forego that with my level of cycling - being comfortable over a long ride is what's most important to me.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1777 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:55 pm - being comfortable over a long ride is what's most important to me.
Totally agree. And only you can 'find' comfortable.
Ray P

#1778 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:37 am
Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:55 pm - being comfortable over a long ride is what's most important to me.
Totally agree. And only you can 'find' comfortable.
Yes; my starting point with the new bike is to try and replicate the setup of my current bikes.

I've been for a very gentle first ride this morning - just getting a feel for it. I already know I need a shorter stem.
Ray P

#1779 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've got the new bike all set up apart from it having too long a stem; just ordering a shorter one that should do the trick.

It's not worth compromising too much on the points where you're in contact with the bike so I've already ordered some better handlebar tape (took the opportunity to get a rather fetching light blue colour that will pick up on the colour flashes on the frame) and whilst the saddle the bike came with is servicable I plan to replace it with my preferred Fizik Aliante type saddle.
Ray P

#1780 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Looking for a new stem at merlin cycles, the good deal they're offering on Deda Aero handlebars caught my eye, not because I think for one moment that they'll make me go faster but because I've heard previously that the flatter section is more comfortable on longer rides, confirmed by several of the reviews. Anyway, in for a penny...

I now have on order the handlebars and matching Deda stem;

https://www.merlincycles.com/deda-super ... 94403.html
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1781 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Techno-whizz-bang handlebars, like!

Hope they're good for jumps, stunts and wheelies...
Ray P

#1782 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 am Hope they're good for jumps, stunts and wheelies...
I'm too old and if I did that I wouldn't be able to deride the kids I see doing them, usually in a busy pedestrian area!

I'm happy to donate the drop bars that'll be removed to the Dirtfurd Massive?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1783 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

An hour on the bike again today. It's the start of my build-up to the next Lake District peak-bagging week - March 16th-23rd - now booked.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#1784 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:57 pm An hour on the bike again today. It's the start of my build-up to the next Lake District peak-bagging week - March 16th-23rd - now booked.
Just walk back from the pub to my house more. Sure it will do much for your system :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#1785 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Enjoyed a good ride this morning; time to get serious about burning off the Christmas weight gain...

Distance: 32.5 mi
Elevation: + 1776 / - 1799 ft
Max Grade: 8.8 %
VAM: 441 Vm/h
Moving Time: 02:08:31
Calories: 1363
Avg. Watts: 177
Max Speed: 34.4 mph
Avg. Speed: 15.2 mph
Max Heartrate: 137 bpm
Min Heartrate: 71 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 110.1 bpm