The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2581 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Looks like Sabrina will be 3rd fastest ever. It will be interesting to hear the full story - there was talk of a knee problem early on. She slowed quite a lot yesterday, and I noticed a couple of steep descents being dodged. But as of 3:20pm, there are only 2 small ascents to be done, she must finish now.
https://live.opentracking.co.uk/sabs072 ... ukclimbing

My own efforts are embarrassing by comparison - a 2 hour stroll along the sea front on Friday, and 3 1/2 hours of mooching about ( & slogging slowly up ) the levels on the West incline at Dinorwig slate quarry, taking some photos. Very enjoyable though, after all this time restricted.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2582 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Easy bike ride - 54mins at 127bpm, down the main road then back through the smaller roads. Pleasant temperature, quite a high fly count.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2583 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

It was good weather down here too, good for cycling! I seemed to encounter unusually large numbers of midge swarms - might have to get a mask!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#2584 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've been riding my black Vitus 'Sunday Best' bike for the last few days after the pink everyday one developed a significant rear wheel buckle last time I was out on it. Today I spent some time servicing my bikes and taking the wheel out to get it retrued - that's not going to happen!

Not surprising it's buckled with that split in the rim. pretty sure it was a pothole I couldn't avoid (because a driver squeezed me tight to the kerb) and I think it was fortunate that I wasn't far from home. There's some tyre rub damage on the frame too but it looks superficial, just the paint and I don't think it's cut into the epoxy/carbon but I'll get my professional bike mechanic to have a look.

Hopefully 'just' a new set of wheels required - maybe time to go tubeless.
Ray P

#2585 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I was a bit annoyed at finding that split in the rim so I took it out on the road - had a really hard blast this evening 20miles at 19.4mph! It was 10miles (38mins) straight into the wind then 10miles (25mins) with the wind - I really pushed very hard to make the turn as fast as possible to set up an overall fast ride, as you can see by my elevated average heart rate. Would have been even faster if i hadn't caught a queue of cars at some traffic lights that reduced me to fast walking speed for a short distance.
Capture.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2586 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I don't know much about modern wheels . How does tubeless help this problem ?
I went for old-school Mavic low-profile aluminium rims on the rear wheel on the 2016 frame/refirb, because the deeper rims are more difficult to handle in windy conditions.
Ray P

#2587 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:06 pm I don't know much about modern wheels . How does tubeless help this problem ?
I went for old-school Mavic low-profile aluminium rims on the rear wheel on the 2016 frame/refirb, because the deeper rims are more difficult to handle in windy conditions.
Tubeless doesn't help with this at all but as I'm going to have to buy a new set of wheels I may as well get ones that can be used tubeless so punctures on the road become less problematic.

Deeper rims can catch you out at first if you get caught by a side wind but you do get used to it to a degree and can generally anticipate - they're faster than the older rims. The rim that split isn't really deep or aero profiled though, unlike the ones on my bestest bike.
ed
retired

#2588 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

first time out since the first week in April....
snuck out at 06:15...not a soul about....thought I'd better ease into this so did 6.2km in 17 mins...seemed like an effort but I can hear you all laughing from here.

got a bit of a laugh when I uploaded to strava because it said I started the journey on 10th April and finished on 17th July. The cateye is a trixy little thing....I obviously didn't turn it off correctly the last time I looked at it.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#2589 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

So it's actually 6.2Km in something like 99days and 17mins!

Early morning rides are something I like, the air is still, there's nobody around, the birds are singing....
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2590 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Best part of the day - nowt wrong with that ride!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#2591 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:47 pm So it's actually 6.2Km in something like 99days and 17mins!

Early morning rides are something I like, the air is still, there's nobody around, the birds are singing....
I did another one this morning....8.6km 23 mins...totally deserted streets....I agree about the air and that there is nobody around but dem boids, dey dont venture into urban hull, least not on the bigger roads I've travelled. I need a bit more practice before venturing out into rural parts.

Uploaded this mornings ride to strava and it said Friday 17th July......I am doing something wrong, or you've given me a time machine Ray.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#2592 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've never thought of Hull as urbane, unlike some of its residents of course.
Ray P

#2593 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Ticked off my July Strava Gran Fondo (100Km) ride this afternoon;
Capture.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2594 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort, looks like you had at least one hard effort there Ray, 162 is pretty high for you ?

Today, not cycling, did a walk on the Clwyd ridge, usual area, 2hrs12, steady, training for the Lakes now, bit more specific.
image hosting service
Ray P

#2595 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Looks good for a walk Mark. Are you just trying to get generally fit for the lakes or is there a specific event?
IslandPink wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:21 pm ...162 is pretty high for you ?
I don't believe the 162, it seems to be just one single reading from the HR monitor so probably just an anomaly; around 140bpm is more like where I peaked. I felt a bit tired today but saddled up for a loosener and ended up doing a PB on my 'there and back' route;
Capture.JPG
Rest day tomorrow, just an hours walk after work.