The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1156 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 pm That new job working in a school has learned you stuff then...
Ha! Ya got me there guv, bang to rights!

I didn't cheat or nuffin' :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1157 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Anyway, what are you doing on Monday August 20th - fancy a bike ride?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1158 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

<checks Diary>

It says "Tidy Sock Drawer"...... ha! I'm out (and anyway....its got hills innit? The route , not my sock drawer).
Ray P

#1159 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Yah! your just a south eastern jessie....

Nothing a cup of good West Country Tea wouldn't fix
00431D28.JPG
00431D28.JPG (71.13 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
Last edited by Ray P on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1160 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Abso.

Blummen.

Lootley!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1161 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:06 pm How's the back?
Still where it should be :)

Much better thanks - the Lovely Lene, Norwegian Physio, stuck loads more needles into me on Monday evening and did some "manipulations" which mostly seemed to involve knotting my arms and legs together, then trying to snap my back in two (much like a chiropractor does). It sounded like twigs breaking.

So, ran 5Km yesterday and will do another 5Km tonight. Got a half-marathon the weekend after this - that'll be fun. Not.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#1162 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I managed a 20mile jaunt in my lunch break today. Really hard first ten into a strong blustery wind but I really motored back - average speed of just shy of 15mph.. My legs spent the afternoon telling me they had been exercised.
Ray P

#1163 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

My fitness is coming on well.

28.5miles on Sunday morning, the first half into a strong and biting north easterly. Average speed of 14.7mph was better than I expected. Weight loss of 3lbs last week.

My big ride in August is 120miles so I reason I only need to do the same ride again four times in one day - a way to go yet!

Tonight in the gym on a spin bike I got my time for a virtual 7miles down to 19mins dead, 43 seconds better than last Monday. The computer says that 210 watts constant output and equates to an average speed of 22.1mph. A bit more consolidation and then I'll start pushing the distance a bit and adding some harder intervals.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1164 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Groan.... I'm feeling like a very very unhappy sloth, all slug like and crummy. Actually though sloths and slugs appear to enjoy their 'idleness'. I'm not going to beat myself up but I'm not feeling good about being such a lazy bastard.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1165 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 am I'm not going to beat myself up but I'm not feeling good about being such a lazy bastard.
Look in the mirror, and say to yourself " I am a wonderful person even if I feel like being a lazy bastard at times". :roll:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1166 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

I can't fathom why hurtling around on a push bike, puffing and wheezing up hills seems to be the thing that some over 60s want to do. Each to their own, but what are the health benefits of destroying your knees, breathing in pollution, falling off, or risking getting mown down by HGVs or ending up under a bus....just asking, not judging.

A good diet, lowering your sugar/alcohol intake, plenty of fresh fruit, deep coloured veg and full fat milk (does wonders for your iodine levels) and a brisk walk each day with your other half will provide all quality the nutrition and exercise you need, when over 60.

I would not be feeling guilty.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#1167 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

a lot of well being is influenced by what's in your head, how you think and then how you feel......If riding a bike makes you feel good and causes you to think you're getting healthy and fit, then bang on, why not.

My eldest goes in for these mudder runs and gruelling army type assault courses...people die for goodness sake...but he's addicted I fear,.... but he does look fit and has an exceptional outlook towards it.......btw these guys pay stupid money to participate, go figure....

so it may look negative when your glass is half empty but ultimately......I wish I wasn't so lazy.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#1168 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 am I can't fathom why hurtling around on a push bike, puffing and wheezing up hills seems to be the thing that some over 60s want to do. Each to their own, but what are the health benefits of destroying your knees, breathing in pollution, falling off, or risking getting mown down by HGVs or ending up under a bus....just asking, not judging.
Simple, I enjoy it.
Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 am A good diet, lowering your sugar/alcohol intake, plenty of fresh fruit, deep coloured veg and full fat milk (does wonders for your iodine levels) and a brisk walk each day with your other half will provide all quality the nutrition and exercise you need, when over 60.
I do that sort of stuff too.

Apologies if the posting here makes anyone feel guilty as its certainly not my intention. It is the cycling thread though...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1169 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 am I can't fathom why hurtling around on a push bike, puffing and wheezing up hills seems to be the thing that some over 60s want to do. Each to their own, but what are the health benefits of destroying your knees, breathing in pollution, falling off, or risking getting mown down by HGVs or ending up under a bus....just asking, not judging.

A good diet, lowering your sugar/alcohol intake, plenty of fresh fruit, deep coloured veg and full fat milk (does wonders for your iodine levels) and a brisk walk each day with your other half will provide all quality the nutrition and exercise you need, when over 60.

I would not be feeling guilty.
Whatever works for you.

But, I hope to still be cycling when I'm in my 60's, only 7 years to go. I do it because its fun and I feel ace when I'm doing it and also when I've done it. Personally it gives my whole body and brain a good a work out, I don't feel I'm "destroying my knees" at all. I'm using muscles and giving my heart a good work out too at the same time. You don't have to thrash around everywhere and beat yourself up about it y'know! :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1170 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

As I said earlier chaps, I was not judging or attacking anyone. I do not judge, never have.
If people want to cycle, then good for them and I'm glad they enjoy it.
All me and Phil were trying to do was try to tell Andrew not to feel guilty about not exercising.
Maybe he wasn't talking about cycling, but as he posted in the cycling thread, I assumed he was.
There are other ways to achieve the same benefits to health and well-being, such as walking with nature, and swimming.
It doesn't have to be cycling. But as this is the cycling thread......

As you were.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.