The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2731 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Been out again today. It was looking fairly good, although windy. I got dressed up and opened the door and it started raining. I went inside for 5 mins then came out again, not too bad, looked like it was OK over the other side of the valley where I was going.
I did the hillier route, on the 'upper' roads at the base of the hills, then picked up the B-road at the end down to Llanbedr DC.
I got to the turn (church) and it was grey & looking threatening - a huge shower cloud was moving over from the Denbigh direction, clearly with those curtains of rain around the edges. I started back heading NW at some speed, but although it was moving East , I couldn't outrun it, so I got soaked, despite the rain jacket. However I did get out into clear skies after about 20mins.
Came through Llandyrnog and saw that the huge tree by the bus stop was looking great with the sunshine on its autumn leaves, so I stopped to take some pics -

a place to share photos
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2732 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 pm Again like gaming, they could just make other riders up.
I think they do - there are some pace-setters on some of the routes, they are apparition-like riders (as you would expect, followed by a gaggle of riders).

Anyway, I 'made it' to France on Thursday evening, I did 20 or so miles around the French countryside followed by two laps of the Champ Elysees TdF circuit - it's not as flat as I imagined it to be. I considered Mont Ventoux but didn't fancy the 12miles of a mostly 8% gradient (I say mostly because there are some sections that are steeper!) and it'll be there another day when I'm in the frame of mind.

A 26mile ride in Watopia (the Zwift virtual world) last evening and a proper 27mile ride out this afternoon (windy with a couple of squally showers).
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#2733 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

This boy is coming through nicely;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54769661

and Froome is rebuilding his form well too.

Could it be that Ineos end the year with two Grand Tours under their belt?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2734 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Yes very good indeed. You couldn't accuse Carthy of lack of commitment on that attack !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2735 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Went out for a short ride this afternoon.
Roads have dried out a lot. Nice clean chain and sprockets - put a bit of oil on there just before I went out.

Saw this rather nice info on Froome's twitter just now. This is data from the TT he rode 'steady' at the Vuelta a few days ago.

My conclusion is, he can make 350 watts at approx 131bpm pulse rate. Insane !
Ray P

#2736 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Ray P

#2737 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

On Thursday I took part in a Zwift group ride with some guys from work - I was giving away at least 20 and mostly around 30years. It was almost 15miles, supposedly around Central Park in New York but included a fictional glass aerial roadway that included a steep climb, (with a maximum gradient of over 16%). Phew, it was fast and very hard and I spent most of the time chasing them but it was good to be motivated by the competition and it translated into some good stats, including elevating my FTP to 217W (just shy of 3W/Kg). Stats attached below.

I eventually finished just under 3mins behind the fastest guy but only about - - 1.5mins slower than the others and I was pleased with that given the age gap. Next time I need to start quicker so I'm not chasing from the off.

This morning I did a rather more sedate (16mph average) 36mile loop out on the roads; they were nice and quiet with the lockdown seeming to be having an effect.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2738 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Departed: Nov 22, '20, 11:25AM
Starts in: Dartford, England, GB
Distance: 10.8 mi
Elevation: + 501 / - 503 ft
Max Grade:
7.3 %
Avg Grade
0.1 %
VAM 272 Vm/h
Ascent time 00:33:43
Descent time 00:26:32
Total Duration: 01:03:01
Moving Time: 01:00:15
Stopped Time: 00:02:46
Max Speed: 21.5 mph
Avg Speed: 10.8 mph
Pace: 00:05:49
Moving Pace: 00:05:34

1st bike ride since June. Thats the hardest 10.8 miles I've ever ridden! No really.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2739 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Hmm.. funny, must be something in the air - I went out today as well.
About an hour & 20mins.
Dry today for a change ( OK until about 5pm ).
Sun came out briefly but was otherwise hiding in the clouds that tend to hang over the Denbigh moors. Good to get out, bit rusty but not too bad. My chain is not rusty though - quite clean in fact.
Last edited by IslandPink on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ray P

#2740 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm Departed: Nov 22, '20, 11:25AM
Starts in: Dartford, England, GB
Distance: 10.8 mi
Elevation: + 501 / - 503 ft
Max Grade:
7.3 %
Avg Grade
0.1 %
VAM 272 Vm/h
Ascent time 00:33:43
Descent time 00:26:32
Total Duration: 01:03:01
Moving Time: 01:00:15
Stopped Time: 00:02:46
Max Speed: 21.5 mph
Avg Speed: 10.8 mph
Pace: 00:05:49
Moving Pace: 00:05:34

1st bike ride since June. Thats the hardest 10.8 miles I've ever ridden! No really.
Welcome back into the fold Mr. B. Who needs a bike with an engine when there's a powerhouse like yourself on board!

I rode 30miles around 'London' on Friday night - maybe I would have bumped into you had I delayed until today but yesterday and today were both good 30mile outdoor rides down here in the sticks. I've averaged almost 150miles a week for the last 12weeks so you have some catching up to do.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2741 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm Who needs a bike with an engine when there's a powerhouse like yourself on board!
Bwahahaha, I like your jest Ray :)
Ray P wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm I rode 30miles around 'London' on Friday night - maybe I would have bumped into you had I delayed until today but yesterday and today were both good 30mile outdoor rides down here in the sticks. I've averaged almost 150miles a week for the last 12weeks so you have some catching up to do.
Thats great cycling there Ray, well done. I deffo wont be cycling up to London for ages to come, there's a reason I'm finding it so hard to do just 10.8 miles. Since June I haven't been on a cycle, not because I'm lazy but because I physically couldn't get on a bike let alone pedal it

Long story long..., after a long wait due to Covid shutting down the local Rheumatlogy department I'm finally being treated for Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR), its bloody painful and leaves you with extreme levels of tiredness. Physically it feels like someone has injected epoxy resin into your neck/shoulder and hip joints and its almost but not quite set, so it severely limits your mobility very quickly, it was frightening how fast this has come on.

I've had very limited neck and shoulder movement since the middle of August coupled with terrible piercing pain in the muscles at tops of my arms that travels down to the elbows then fingers, enough to make you feel physically sick TBH if I knock them or try and lay on them in bed. I've had difficulty getting dressed too and other things you take for granted like brushing your hair or just getting up out a chair unaided. I'm 55, not 95 BTW.

Yesterday was my 1st attempt at riding a bike again, it wasn't a good move TBH, I hurt for the following 12 hours. 'Lifesavers' are nigh-on impossible and I'm terrified of falling off and pranging my shoulders and hips. I wont be trying again for a while.

Meh.

Whinge over.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2742 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Sorry to hear of your problems Dave, it can't be easy to live with that level of pain and discomfort. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2743 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes,
sorry to hear about your pain Dave.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P

#2744 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 pm I've had difficulty getting dressed too...
yeah, I've seen some of the things you wear...

Seriously, I imagined that you're absence from the cycling thread was down to your infatuation with the restoration of the motorbike, not down to ill health. Judy has been suffering with the same ailment for a while, though I don't think it is as bad as yours sounds, so I have an idea of why you're whinging. Take care of yourself and if I find myself up Lundun way when this virus thing is over I'll cycle down to Dirtdfud for a cuppa.

Ray
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2745 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Cripes Dave that sounds like a nightmare.
Wishing you all the best luck I can muster.