The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#2386 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:23 am It's bloody annoying! Now only use the watch for swimming when, strangely, elevation changes aren't that important...

Ed doesn't need Strava. Try RideWithGPS and use your phone...
to me it's absolutely no biggy. I used the word interestingly in the sentence, and thats exactly all it is, interesting...well to me anyway. I will delete the account as it duplicates the info on the atlas program. I did find it amusing about the nagging to allow it to use my medical data, but the so far 6 emails I've had, well that's another matter.

thanks for the tip about Ridewithgps but I think the atlas info is all I need...and I don't have a phone anyway.

Absolutely no harm done, I now know what strava is all about, which I didn't before.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2387 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I can't be (sore) arsed enough to use ' ride with gps' most of the time but it can be a motivation to go a little further I suppose. Today I didn't know where I was going but I went there anyway using RwGPS. 21.7 Miles. Beautiful day, far too many cars getting exercise....

12 miles on I thought about that breathing exercise so thought I'd try it. My brachiae and branchioles are not as good as they could be. The Cough disturbed phlegm and gunk so I had to swallow more than the cilia normally bring up. I wonder if it is therapeutic!?

Now soup!!!! Yummy.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2388 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

2nd ride this afternoon, went a bit further this time.

I find that my legs don't like going fast, so I tend to slog in a higher gear, and I can't cope with hills, slopes are bad enough.

Still, it must be doing me some good.

And as a reference to John G's DIY roller stand, riding a bike on the (undulating) road is MUCH HARDER than any work on rollers without resistance. I speak from experience. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2389 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

To be fair, many indoor trainers have a variable resistance roller on the back wheel, so if you are doing an emulated ride, it will get harder on the "uphills" and easier on the virtual "downhills".

Did a decent 49km today with 1,000ft of climbing. Lovely lovely ride of which 98% was in small country lanes with maybe 15 other cyclists seen in the whole trip. Average speed getting slowly better too - 23kmh today.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2390 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:50 pm
To be fair, many indoor trainers have a variable resistance roller on the back wheel, so if you are doing an emulated ride, it will get harder on the "uphills" and easier on the virtual "downhills".
My indoor trainer is not so sophisticated, I move a lever to vary the resistance and the display shows what the percentage is.

Still not the same as real riding.
Last edited by pre65 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#2391 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

hit my first bomber this afternoon. Not sure whether he was more surprised than me. Come to think of it are bumblies actually male?
ride-100420.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2392 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I'm really getting the hang of this cycling lark; the 20-25mile rides I've been doing every day are getting me really strong and I feel so much more comfortable and keep setting personal bests. Here's today's ride, a little longer than usual, around the lanes to the West of Taunton - quite lumpy terrain!

Departed: Apr 10, '20, 04:15PM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 27.5 mi
Elevation: + 1617 / - 1617 ft
Max Grade: 9.3 %
VAM: 556 Vm/h
Moving Time: 01:32:46
Calories: 942
Avg. Watts: 169
Max Speed: 34.5 mph
Avg. Speed: 17.8 mph
Moving Pace: 00:03:22
Max Heartrate: 135 bpm
Min Heartrate: 71 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 110.8 bpm

Last edited by Ray P on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2393 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:49 pm hit my first bomber this afternoon. Not sure whether he was more surprised than me. Come to think of it are bumblies actually male?

ride-100420.jpg
99.9% female at this time of year
Ray P

#2394 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Next year's challenge anyone?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/52151401

Phil? :wink:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2395 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm Next year's challenge anyone?
Well... The Vatternrunden was cancelled and we only get 50% of the money back ... 😟

So next year, we'll have another go at it 🚴

Btw I absolutely hate indoor trainers. Today, outside in the lanes, I saw tonnes of wildlife, brimstone & peacock butterflies, various types of bumble and false bees, woods full of bluebells and wood anemones, wild garlic, lady's smock, blackthorn blossom and many other hedgerow flowers... Kestrels, buzzards, great and blue tits, a tree creeper, various types of sparrows, crows, blackbirds, robins, and many others I couldn't identify...
Last edited by jack on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray P

#2396 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:39 pm 2nd ride this afternoon, went a bit further this time.

I find that my legs don't like going fast, so I tend to slog in a higher gear, and I can't cope with hills, slopes are bad enough.

Still, it must be doing me some good.

And as a reference to John G's DIY roller stand, riding a bike on the (undulating) road is MUCH HARDER than any work on rollers without resistance. I speak from experience. :wink:
Phil,labouring in a high gear isn't a good way of riding, change down whenever you start to labour to try and maintain smooth pedalling at a steady(ish) cadence - until you run out of gears of course. Don't worry about your legs going fast, that'll get easier.

When you get a bit more comfortable, short but hard efforts will be good for building strength.

The DIY rollers JohnG linked to is, IMO, downright dangerous and irresponsible. Give me a proper ride over a static 'exercise' ride every time.
Ray P

#2397 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:19 pm Well... The Vatternrunden was cancelled and we only get 50% of the money back ... 😟

So next year, we'll have another go at it 🚴
A colleague and I are considering Vatternrundun next year.
jack wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:19 pm Btw I absolutely hate indoor trainers. Today, outside in the lanes, I saw tonnes of wildlife, brimstone & peacock butterflies, various types of bumble and false bees, woods full of bluebells and wood anemones, wild garlic, lady's smock, blackthorn blossom and many other hedgerow flowers... Kestrels, buzzards, great and blue tits, a tree creeper, various types of sparrows, crows, blackbirds, robins, and many others I couldn't identify...
Absolutely. Even encountered some deer and hares recently.
Last edited by Ray P on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2398 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:27 pm
The DIY rollers JohnG linked to is, IMO, downright dangerous and irresponsible.
I have to agree Ray.

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2399 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Did a decent 49km today with 1,000ft of climbing. Average speed getting slowly better too - 23kmh today.
Why the expression of distance in km's, but climbs in feet, then av speed in kmh?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2400 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Because he can!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.