The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#706 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I thought it was a bit much to believe you'd gone straight from the sangria and enormous chickrn thingie to the training camp :!:
I have been somewhat lax in the cycling but trying to do some regular walking ( eg. 2 hrs on/over the great Orme on Friday ) ahead of my visit to the Lakes starting Sat. No sign of even basic hill-climbing fitness at the moment though.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#707 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've got the week off so took the opportunity this morning to enjoy the ideal cycling weather, though I did get out early before the heat really builds up!

I ventured out to the West, just skirting the edge of Exmoor; perfect apart from a couple of close encounters with white van men!

Departed: Jun 20, '17, 07:27AM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 27.6 mi
Elevation: + 1605 / - 1605 ft
Max Grade: 9.3 %
Avg. Grade: 0.8 %
Total Duration: 01:46:27
Moving Time: 01:42:44
Stopped Time: 00:03:43
Calories: 1180
Avg. Watts: 191
Max Speed: 40.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 16.1 mph

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#708 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

JohnG wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:35 pmI am having a cycle twice daily... ...am already feeling the benefits...
So how's it going John, what progress?

Ray
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#709 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

If I may just compound my felony.....huge breakfast on the roof terrace looking out over roman walls to the pucturesque oil takers in the bay. Yoghurt fresh baguette honey and dark dark coffee. Cathedral soon because its deep dark gothic mass is cold inside.

No exercise today either. There us something oddly attractive about the stupor of doing almost nothing at all.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
JohnG
Old Hand

#710 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by JohnG »

Hi RayP
I am daily cycling at the moment, cutting out the Journey and finishing it off on the bike. I have a option to use a further out park and ride, I will use this from next week and see how I handle the distance, it will be approx 9 miles round trip.
I have been out tonight and picked up a sit up chair to aid my gaining strength in the core.
The Gym room has been hitting super heat due to the weather spell, I will get a fan to cool it and intend to a short session in the morning.
A evening session will be wise when we can get the temperature down.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#711 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

In this heat JohnG it is wise to take it easy! Slowly slowly!

Ive been swimming phroaaaasr real deep mediterranean blue and now sipping a local rioja with a plate of so sweet tomates and oil. WOW.

This is the Life!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#712 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 pm I..... it is wise to take it easy! Slowly slowly!
Wise wurdz, Thats what I was explaining to a fella at work today, he's just over 20st and wants to start riding to work to lose some weight. Jolly noble I thought, but maybe not in this heat and not until he can cope with Swanscombe cutting which would be on his route.

Mother Nature gifted me another bike this week too :) A work colleague was out on a lunchtime wander and noticed summat in the recently hacked-back bushes in the fields out back. He had a nose and its whats left of a Gents Raleigh Pioneer Deluxe 10sp. The front wheel was from a kids moutning (sic) bike and didn't 'reach the front brake calipers cos its about and inch and bit to small and the rear wheel had been ridden a lot with no tyre on! Loadsa broken spokes had got mashed into the gears and wrapped around the hub. It needed lovin'.

I've luvved it up, weighs a ton (at least) with all them gears and the wrong wheels that I've fitted from my everyday 70's commuter. 27 x 1 1/4" wheels 'just' about fit in a 90's 700c Gentleman's city bike it would appear. I need to do some clever fettling to make it all work properly mind.

I went out on the usual 14 mile fitness loop ride this evening when it started cooling off, I did it almost 7 mins SLOWER than I do on my fab-phixxye,

Thus proving gears are crap and slow you down, I used to work with Scientists y'know, we know about this kinda thing etc etc etc etc!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#713 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 pm
andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 pm I..... it is wise to take it easy! Slowly slowly!
Wise wurdz,
Yes, wise indeed. Take it steady John, little and regular...

Ray
Ray P

#714 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Has the new bike acquired a name yet Dave, how about Worksop?

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#715 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 pm Has the new bike acquired a name yet Dave, how about Worksop?

Ray
No name has presented itself yet, he's only a day old so far, summat will come up.
Greg
Social outcast

#716 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

'Day old come up' sounds fine to me :D
cressy
Shed dweller

#717 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by cressy »

How about.....

Bob
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#718 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 pm The front wheel was from a kids moutning (sic) bike and didn't 'reach the front brake calipers cos its about and inch and bit to small and the rear wheel had been ridden a lot with no tyre on!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#719 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:31 pm How about.....

Bob
Or, "fragmentum". :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#720 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

You's lot on derrrugz or summat?!

Nope, a name still hasn't presented itself yet.... this is how my work colleague found the poor likkle bike....

I'm getting the feeling his name is Bellamy. He spent a fair amount of time in the undergrowth.