The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
JohnG
Old Hand

#676 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by JohnG »

Hi All

Here we go,In the past week, I,ve began to cycle as a health kick, to support it I have incorporated a portion of my daily commute to cycling on a full suspension mountain bike, not the best but good to get going. Approx 5 miles round trip at present, a proper battle in last weeks wind, the gears need some TLC. I manged to stay mounted even though jacking in seemed a very good idea when the wind was at it strongest.
When I get a bit fitter and another secure parking place is found I will expand on this to 12 milesish and will be considering a different type of bike.
I am off to purchase a spin bike in the next hour so I can work from home doing additional work outs.

John
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#677 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Good for you John; you'll find plenty of support and encouragement here. Cycling is a fantastic cardio-vascular workout and really burns the calories - but you know that already!

After yesterday's long journey I seem to be operating on Kent time today; no early start and a leisurely breakfast. I headed out around 10ish and just did a 20mile 'there and back' run. Straight into a 15mph wind on the outward leg but wind assisted on the way back of course. Overall averages were 17.2mph and 211watts.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15218160

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
JohnG
Old Hand

#678 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by JohnG »

As a Newbee cyclist, what Free Apps or Tried and Tested Gadgets can I get to support my road work and my static exercise bike workouts..
Looking forward to planning my work outs. :walk:
Max N
Old Hand

#679 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Max N »

I use an app called Motivo for my turbo trainer sessions - but its commercial, and it was co-developed/owned by my son, so probably disqualified from your criteria on 2 counts - not free and I am biased. But I couldn't resist posting because I'm proud of him for developing it :) http://www.motivo.cc
Ray P

#680 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

JohnG wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:13 pm As a Newbee cyclist, what Free Apps or Tried and Tested Gadgets can I get to support my road work and my static exercise bike workouts..
Looking forward to planning my work outs. :walk:
Hi John. for road rides I use ridewithgps, which is free for the basic version;

www.ridewithgps.com

you'll need to register on the website.

if you have a smartphone with gps just load the ridewithgps app and it'll record your ride data and sync it to the website. You can then see metrics, like those some of us post here, and it'll notify you of personal bests over segments etc. I have also started looking at Strava, which is more 'fashionable' than ridewithgps. Strava does similar things and is free for the basic version but I personally prefer the ridewithgps interface.

You can also use ridewithgps/strava to monitor/record heart rate (and pedalling cadence) with suitable monitors, which usually interface via Bluetooth. Here's an example;

As you're starting off I suggest you seriously consider monitoring your heart rate so you can stay within the appropriate thresholds and watch the improvements as you progress.

There are also hardware specific solutions such as this Polar device;

Garmin do a good range too.

For gym rides I just use the computer that is built into the static bike and don't record the rides but I probably should. I think both ridewithgps and strava allows you to record static bike rides. I'm not doing static bike work currently but will gradually resume as the cold dark days arrive.

Maintain the motivation and work at a regular routine you'll be quite surprised at how quickly you start seeing the improvements. Let us know how you're getting on.

Ray
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#681 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ride with GPS,( you can walk too!).

It is simple to use but I cant do the fancy download maps stuff.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P

#682 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:54 am ...I cant do the fancy download maps stuff.
A man of your calibre, of course you can Andrew! You just need to apply the learning....
andrew Ivimey

#683 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yeah but no but. Even Achiles had his weak spot.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#684 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 am Yeah but no but. Even Achiles had his weak spot.
Achiles weak spot was riding up steep heels wasn't it?

Arf! SWIDT
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#685 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ooooooooo very witty! Like it.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#686 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:31 am
andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 am Yeah but no but. Even Achiles had his weak spot.
Achiles weak spot was riding up steep heels wasn't it?

Arf! SWIDT
GMOWAR indeed!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
JohnG
Old Hand

#687 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by JohnG »

Thank you fellow cyclists.
Sweat Suit Ordered, is that too much info ? :shock:
My exercise bike is a bought at a steal, 2014 model BH Spada Dual Bike. Any one familiar with the computer options on this model. I also believe a chest monitor can be used to sync with the on board computer.
Ray P

#688 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

JohnG wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:35 pm Any one familiar with the computer options on this model
Is this it?

http://www.bhfitness.hu/shop_ordered/69 ... 2-3197.pdf

if so this is the console info;

http://www.bhfitness.hu/shop_ordered/69 ... 2-3198.pdf

video here;

I suggest you need to be circumspect with the sweat suit as getting dehydrated isn't going to help - you need to burn calories so your body starts to consume your fat reserves. Through diet and exercise a daily deficit of 500 calories is needed to lose one pound a week, 1000 calories a day for two pounds a week...

Ray
JohnG
Old Hand

#689 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by JohnG »

Thank you
That is perfect info for me. :headbang:
Ray P

#690 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Another beautiful morning, perfect for another pre-breakfast ride...

Departed: Jun 17, '17, 07:19AM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 30.6 mi
Elevation: + 1750 / - 1750 ft
Max Grade: 9.5 %
Avg. Grade: 0.7 %
Total Duration: 01:58:15
Moving Time: 01:56:36
Stopped Time: 00:01:39
Calories: 1293
Avg. Watts: 185
Max Speed: 37.0 mph