The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#2701 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

yeah but it's a fixie Mark.....snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2702 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I bought myself one of these last evening;

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/train ... ii-review/

Didn't pay that much though, I won an ebay auction on the Wiggle outlet store - it's a return so not cosmetically perfect but is in full working order.

My aim is to maintain my after work riding after the clocks change and it'll also be good for when the worst of the winter weather arrives - I don't mind the cold if it's dry but cold and wet is miserable and icy is just downright dangerous. I now have to clear out the garage to make enough floor area to set it up!

I'll probably give Zwift a try so I may yet conquer Mont Ventoux or Alpe d'Huez!
Last edited by Ray P on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#2703 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

On the real cycling front, I had a really good ride with some guys from work yesterday lunchtime. There were four of us, one really strong and very experienced rider (who normally pulls us all along), myself, and two young but fit guys who've just taken up cycling during lockdown. To make it interesting we paired off, (myself with the least experienced newbie - who I had nearly 40yrs on - and the strongest guy with the other newbie) and rode a pursuit, with my pairing given a six minute start (based on previous times over a Strava segment of 16.35miles).

I actually rode the whole distance on the front and blasted my PR for the segment and we finished with about half of our lead intact. A bit of competition is a great motivator - next week we'll only get three minutes start but I hope to get the average above 20mph.
Capture.JPG
Ray P

#2704 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Perhaps of interest to some of you retro bike builders?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-RARE ... Sw-6xffzAX
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2705 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

He he ! I saw something rather like this but in orange, on an early-70's Woodrup bike at their workshop -owned by the guy who built my frame.
I've got a bag of saddles in the cupboard under the stairs. Maybe I should clean them up and have an EBay spree.

I've just been out for the usual run up to Llanbedr DC and back. 1 hour 10, I was going a bit briskly , because it was cold. The sun was out earlier, but now it's a bit cheerless and raw.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#2706 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

My Elite Drivo 2 smart trainer arrived today so I've been assembling it and working out how to use it - I've just installed the free Elite software to start so I can work out the basics before I take out a Zwift subscription (They do a free trial period but I don't want to start it until I know what I'm doing).

I did the old-skool thing of heading out onto the roads earlier though, really enjoyed a 40mile ride around South Somerset;
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
ed
retired

#2707 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

I had a session on the spin bike this morning. Deffo needs a bit of getting used to. I set the resistance to start as close to what I thought was average pedalling on Harry. My average speed on Harry is around 24-25kmh over 30 mins on fairly flat roads.. Unfortunately I can’t get the spin bike to talk in foreign money so it’s mph, and for most of the time I was on 13-14mph. I was dripping after 15 mins, which it said was 6.5 miles. My usual ride on Harry is about 30 mins, but I know I’d struggle trying 30 mins on the spin bike at the resistance setting I’d started with. After 15 mins the spin bike said I’d burned 135 cals, which is exactly what strava tells me after 30 mins/13kms on the road.

I think I’m spending too much time comparing the 2 methods and I’m over thinking the whole thing. I mustn’t lose sight of the aim here, which is just a bit of exercise.

I think the dripping with sweat has a lot to do with there being no wind to help with evaporation. So far I haven’t been very successful at improving over time. Whether it’s in my head or just the result of age I’m not sure. Whatever, I must try harder.

I've downloaded a couple of videos so I can pedal through unkown countryside..I think they do help. I might progress to a couple of Mikes Ural vids.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2708 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I've always used the Turbo trainer on a porch that is roofed but mostly open to the air. Sweat would definitely be a problem at almost any effort level, indoors. i did use to use rollers indoors when I first moved to Wales and was in a holiday cottage during the winter, but it was a very cold house, and I was pretty thin back then !
Ray P

#2709 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I did my first proper ride on Zwift last evening.
Capture.JPG
It's good fun; My set-up has a 27in monitor attached to my laptop so I see the virtual world I'm riding through, complete with all the other cyclists and runners on the same piece of 'Zwift road' - you can even virtually draft other riders. You get realtime stats on the screen too. I was impressed with how responsive the system is and I was having to use the gears just like on a real ride as the resistance changed quickly and smoothly for inclines.

I've got everything set up in the garage. You obviously sweat more because you're not moving through the air but I left the door half open and I wasn't uncomfortable, in fact it was rather nice to see/hear the rain falling outside. I've set up a basic music system too, using some computer monitors and my portable player so it's an opportunity to listen to some music too, albeit with pretty ordinary sound quality.

So, I now have options to keep myself fit during the cold/wet/dark months ahead.
Ray P

#2710 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2711 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, very interesting - but trying to follow both is a bit awkward - the two highlights programmes are both on at 7pm on different channels. This is also the time I'm cooking dinner. I must check the route for the Giro and see what's left. Very big chance for TGH.
Some nice footage of the Stelvio yesterday - they just made it !

Edit : I just see that the riders have refused to do the full 250km today in the pouring rain, because of health concerns re. immune system. They are taking the team buses for a fraction of it ( not sure how much ) .
Ray P

#2712 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Amazing, top two on identical times with just one stage to go;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54670034

Past form in time trials suggests it is Geoghegan Hart's to lose but you never can tell what people are capable of when the chips are down...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2713 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Oh thanks Ray - I was going to watch that later. I can only get the highlights at 7pm.
Ray P

#2714 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Whoops sorry Mark, I didn't realise I was posting a spoiler. I won't mention the final TT stage 'til after the highlights.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2715 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

s'OK. It was a good watch anyway - young TGH is now finely poised, should be a very interesting time trial. I must double check that ITV4 haven't got it on live this afternoon.
Just looking at the clear sky and lurking showers, think I'll risk an outing in an hour or two.