The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2476 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Maybe A-T cyclists find Ed's rear end more interesting?! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2477 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Probably :shock:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2478 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I went out for 2hrs ( intention ) today and had something of an epic. I think Mark Drakeford had put a spell on me ( but not like Creedence Clearwater Revival ).
First puncture was 7 miles down the road, coming into Ruthin. Back tyre of course ; the tube seemed OK when removed and pumped up - odd. Carried on, got over the minor & hilly roads, then about 7 or 8 miles from home on the way back I hit a horrible pothole or caved-away edge on the inside of a bend, it nearly threw me off the bike. I thought at first I'd ruined both wheels or tyres, but after a few moments it seemed I'd got away with it.
But - 2 miles further down the road the front tyre went flat.
I took the tube out of this one and resigned myself to using the (new) puncture kit. However I couldn't for the life of me find the damage - although it would go flat as soon as it was pumped.
I decided however to try the latex tube I'd removed from the rear wheel. It seemed Ok when I put it in.
Got the tyre on and the wheel back in. Pumped it up, got back on, it was flat as a pancake. I rode about 2 miles including a major descent ( slowly ) .
Further up the road I decided to have one last go - got off and pumped up the tyre, tentatively rode off and it stayed up. I was then able to ride the remaining 3 miles into Denbigh without it going completely flat . Weird.
Shame all this spoiled an otherwise lovely ride - the sun was superb. In the end I clocked 2hrs 40min, and the pulse was still 145bpm, I guess that was partly down to stress !

Tomorrow I want to get to the bottom of what on earth is wrong with these two inner-tubes.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2479 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

ps. I've only twice had two punctures in one day , in 42 years of riding the bike seriously.
Ray P

#2480 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Good ride Mark and shame about the punctures. :thumbup:

I've now had three punctures in the last week so was feeling a bit paranoid yesterday, every bit of rough surface felt like a flat. In the end I had an event free ride, my longest for a while but I hardly saw anyone. Fantastic views from the top of the Brendon Hills across the Bristol Channel to Wales - didn't spot Mark though! :cry:

Departed: May 08, '20, 02:19PM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 42.5 mi
Elevation: + 3574 / - 3575 ft
Max Grade: 15.7 %
VAM: 626 Vm/h
Total Duration: 02:52:48
Moving Time: 02:51:09
Stopped Time: 00:01:39
Calories: 1628
Avg. Watts: 159
Max Speed: 33.7 mph
Avg. Speed: 14.9 mph
Moving Pace: 00:04:02
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2481 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Punctures can be pesky and peculiar. Back in my youth, having left London and moved to a comfortable warm hole in Bag End (Lewes). Onecweek I had four punctures; two the same day just a few miles out towards Hobbiton, just far enough each time to get a little cross about having to walk home, in cycling shoes.

Only one was an obvious chunk of Mordor blade which had snapped off and embedded itself. The other three were merely.... whatever causes punctures normally. I've rarely had punctures before or since. That was a bad week that was.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
little eddy
Old Hand

#2482 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by little eddy »

I used to skimp on tyres, constantly trying to find that elusive bargain but frequently suffered from pictures.

Then upgraded to Grand Prix 4000 on my summer bike and touch wood, no punctures since. I do keep them well inflated at 100psi.

Bombproof Schwalb Durano DD on my Winter bike. Again no punctures, but they are very heavy.

Going out this afternoon so perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2483 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Anti-puncture band in them. Look at the reviews on any site - really really good tyres. Not had a puncture since putting them on (several 1000km on gritty/flinty roads & lanes)

Complete bitch to get on, but once on there's no need to take them off again, unless you switch to summer tyres (which I don't bother with generally) or they wear out (typically a couple of years at least).

Gives you confidence on them thar big hills...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#2484 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 am Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Anti-puncture band in them. Look at the reviews on any site - really really good tyres. Not had a puncture since putting them on (several 1000km on gritty/flinty roads & lanes)

Complete bitch to get on, but once on there's no need to take them off again, unless you switch to summer tyres (which I don't bother with generally) or they wear out (typically a couple of years at least).

+1 completely agree...they go damned fast as well!

on other news, the campag rear wheel is 6mm wider than the wolber so I wont be changing. I can put up with the odd pinging noise....when she lets me out again.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#2485 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:03 am on other news, the campag rear wheel is 6mm wider than the wolber so I wont be changing. I can put up with the odd pinging noise....when she lets me out again.
Depending on their condition you might get a few pennies for the Zondas that you could put towards getting your wheels fixed?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUOTA-CERCHI ... SwbNdZ341v
Ray P

#2486 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Yep, Schwalbe marathon Plus are great, I've used them on my winter/commuter bikes for years. Their Durano's are good too and a bit lighter.

I've got Continentals on my best summer road bike, can't remember which ones but they've been fine.

The punctures have all been on the new pink bike, which has Mavic tyres that came with the wheelset. I'll be changing them soon, probably to Contis again.
ed
retired

#2487 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

I had seen some of the ads Ray....up to that point I hadn't realised they were so valuable....As I can't use them I'm inclined to give them back to the chap that gave them to me in the first place.

I had the rear wolber rebuilt just before I gave up the daily routine when Sebastian was born. There is nothing wrong with the rear....I just need a new wheel for the front. I don't think it's worth rebuilding the one I have......and let's face it, I'm a fair weather cyclist at best now so I'm not going to spend any money.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2488 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 am Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Anti-puncture band in them. Look at the reviews on any site - really really good tyres. Not had a puncture since putting them on (several 1000km on gritty/flinty roads & lanes)

Hmmm - yes, but those Schwalbe's are more than twice the weight of what I'm using. I think I checked them out last time I bought a tyre. I've got Continental Grand Prix 4-season ( with Vectran ) on the back and Continental Ultra Race on the front, both are 25mm, neither have a lot of mileage on them.
Result of investigations was that the front inner tube has a slit about 8mm long, classic pinch-puncture due to the pothole.
The rear is more interesting. Tiny hole about 3 inches from the valve, on the INSIDE, facing the rim tape. It's a Vittoria latex tube. Might be some sort of random defect ( hopefully - replacement tube has stayed up very well) . Looks very fixable.
So, tyres not really the problem here. I only puncture on average about once every three or four years.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2489 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

My logic is that I'm somewhat heavy and that a few extra grams of rubber is inconsequential.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2490 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

That's fair enough, but I'm not as fit as you, and I know that weight on the wheels and tyres is very noticeable. I don't mind a pound or two on the frame etc , but with heavier tyres there's also more rolling resistance. I used to use 20 to 23mm tyres in summer for years, and 32mm on winter wheels, but I could tell the difference uphill and coming out of junctions on the heavier ones. However 25's are a better compromise. Just fixed the latex tube - hopefully I can now get the outer plastic film off the patch - it was stuck like sh*t to a blanket when I tried a few mins ago.