The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1906 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 pm
Now you're getting the hang of it !
Hot dang! Apologies... I meant Phickkseee :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1907 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Did a 72 km session today. 66km logged plus the 6km run to the starting point which I didn't log.

Felt really good at the slightly slower pace - also it's another week for recovery from the 'flu. It was slow, but will improve .

The new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres were excellent...
Screenshot_20190330-202942-540x960.png
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1908 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm It was slow, but will improve .
Good effort Nick
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1909 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:25 pm
jack wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm It was slow, but will improve .
Good effort Nick
Ta. Improvement will be slow. I note your average heart rate is quite low - I'm hoping mine will drop to about 110 - it's quite high ATM.
Ray P

#1910 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Yes, I'm either pretty well placed with my cardiovascular fitness or I have blood like golden syrup! I think it's the former because as I've got fitter and lost weight my HR and BP have both reduced significantly. Yesterday my at rest HR was 51 and BP 131/79 - not bad for someone coming up to 62. I recover from an effort really quickly now too. When I'm out on my bike I run out of strength before I get into the red zone.

I'm trying not to be too obsessive though as it's an easy treadmill to get on and we need to be a bit cautious as we get older. I started recording my Concept rower efforts in the gym, which was a mistake as I'm instinctively competitive. My first effort over a 4min row placed me 32nd in my age group (globally) on the Concept 2 website so the following week I just had to get into the top 30 and I'm now 25th (1056m in 4mins). The last couple of rows I've managed to treat as simple workouts to just build fitness rather than as willy waving exercises. Rowing is an excellent all-rounder, builds both strength and cardio fitness.

Keep it going though and the improvements will come but don't let it become a burden...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1911 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort Nick - but you'd have to be a Pro to have a pulse rate like Ray !
I might go out this afternoon for the first ride in ages. I have been hill-walking a fair bit since last year, but because it uses less than one wheel, Dave told me I couldn't post the details :(
My fitness is quite poor though, making no progress really, just managing the fatigue ( eg. in the Lakes last week ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1912 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

When I was super fit last summer for the Bosphorus swim, my resting heart rate was about 50 - on the swim itself, you weren't allowed any watches/trackers etc, so I don't know what I hit during the actual swim. During training, I rarely exceeded 110bpm.

My pulse is generally low and BP likewise - last year, in the pre-swim checks (which included ECGs etc.) the doc said I was fitter than most 30 & 40 year olds she saw. However, that was 9 months ago and I've had a litany of things that have stopped me training. Slowly coming back to it now. I've also cut down on the caffeine (mainly because I'm not working and thus don't have access to the office barista)

Yesterday's ride was much better than last week's - I'll do a couple of 30+ milers mid-week this week, then another 40+ miler on Saturday. Slowly slowly...

On the 'flu thing - 3 weeks in and SWMBO still in bed - just cancelled Mother's Day pub lunch. Really evil. She's normally super fit - does many half-marathons/year, cycling all the time + tennis several times a week & walks, park runs etc. Completely wiped out by this bug - did a short (2 mile) walk with dog yesterday and then she had to sleep for several hours.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1913 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Doesn't sound that 'slowly' but if you're not working then it sounds possible.
Best wishes for your wife's recovery - sounds awful.

I just managed a spin through the lanes , a bit of Spring sunshine to help, too. There were one or two hills, so 55mins at 137 average. It feels like some fraction of the hill walking fitness has transferred. However I'm not too ambitious, I've been struggling since a training walk I did a month ago before the Lakes trip - want to take it really steady for a while.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#1914 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Ray P wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm I've been assembling my new commuter/runabout bike this evening. Progressing well except that the git on ebay that I bought the new 650B wheels from hasn't despatched them and isn't responding to any messages. I've opened an ebay case so I'm reasonably confident I'll get my money back but it just takes so long! :x
After waiting ages for ebays clock to tick round to when they'd take action I submitted a case for non-delivery and got a refund within an hour. Ordered a new set of wheels yesterday morning and I've just had a notification that they'll be delivered today.

I had a weak moment on ebay regarding the brakes. I was going to fit a spare set of Tektro hydraulic discs but I bought an almost mint set of vintage Shimano XTR hydraulic discs that will bolt straight to the new frame without adaptors (I've got IS mounts).
ed
retired

#1915 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

the marathon plus finally arrived yesterday...

I find them a real pig to fit....very tight...not relishing the thought of fixing a puncture out on the road...let's hope they live up to their reputation and I don't have to.

putting it all back together now..if I can find my Halfords super dooper 9 function bike computer I may have some embarrasing figures to share, maybe tomorrow....

snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1916 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Apparently they are always awful to fit the first few times.

I really struggled to get them on. But they are really nice to ride with
ed
retired

#1917 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

I detect irony..

the puncture proof tyres require you to get punctures so that you can practise changing them in order for them to become easy to fit...
go figure!....

snigger
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1918 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

ed wrote: I detect irony..
Good thought, but honestly, no irony. They are winter tyres, so get changed a couple of times a year for summer tyres...

I asked in my cycling group about them (everyone uses them at the moment) and everyone finds them a total bitch to change... It's not just you!!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1919 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

S'true our-Ed.

Ive only fitted the Schwalbechwobbles to my beater but IME they're no harder to fit when new than brand new Continental Gatorskins.

You've been riding for years I know so I'm guessing you know all the 'tricks' in fitting new tyres eg- magic words, kittens tears and unicorn droppings.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#1920 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Harry lives to fight another day.

I lavished the princely sum of £70 for new tyres, chain and gear cables, and oodles of tlc in the form of hot soapy water, carb cleaner and 3in1. It was that or the tip and £90 for a Muddy Fox fixie. I think I chose right.

He's not staying out for the night now until I've got a thick pvc cover for him.
I took him out for a quick spin last night to check the gear selection and he flew.

The front bearing feels a bit gritty but I'm not sure if it's balls and cones or encased. I will have to investigate further.
Anybody know what the deal is with wolber gta gentlemen 700?
harry30.jpg