Owston what are you bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#1 Owston what are you bringing?

Post by steve s »

Well i'll start it off ...i'll bring my new baffles and guess what... a px25 amp.. If that makes you think you have seen them before... well think again

The amp has has a few modification .. On the less is more principal... And i think improved it, the speakers have much the same drivers but in the new cabinets, that took some tuning so the crossovers have changes somewhat, and i must say sound really good in my view. I must be learning ... Scott did not pick up any gaping cracks in them a few weeks ago when he had a listen

If i had the space in the car i would bring some of my vintage stuff, i should give the corner ribbons an outing, only a few have heard those.. They are quite good

Ive also been adding to the mountain old gear i have,
i picked up a single big 60's ex bbc speaker last week, its sounds really good for a reflex, a rare pair of plessey / sonotone 15" drivers which will find a home in something soon! I've bought at least 100 more valves so far this year, along with a pair of original leak sandwiches and a pair of modified ls3/5a's, a couple more decks and vintage mono amps.... and a old 7 ft wingspan r/c model of a blackburn monoplane, It was lesleys idea to buy it, she said it would hang up in the music room... Until we got it home and realised the size of it in relation to my room... The house is creaking... Happy days...
Cheers..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

I'll be bringing the usual stuff.
The Metronome speakers, with the blacktack mod to the main drivers wll be coming along, that's if I have changed the car, which hopefully will have been done by then.
The final version of the Barbarik balanced push-pull amplifier will be there; it is sounding great with EL34s in the output stage. I would personally, never build a plate-to-grid feedback, pentode amp without a CF to help the driver out. The improvement with a CF in the way is not subtle.
Our Ant is currently engaged in building me a high quality, silver-wired, passive control unit with balanced outputs, courtesy of a pair of Sowter 3575, 1-1+1, phase-splitting transformers. That of course means that at long last, an unbalanced source will be permitted, so I'm looking forward to being able to hear a much wider variety of sources through the system.
Music will be provided by the new Mac Mini and the usual Musical Fidelity M1 DAC.

There might be a mono radiogram; I haven't forgotten I'm supposed to be building that. Don't hold your breaths on that one, but it is possible.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by jack »

If anyone wants an MJSR kit, I can bring a few and a made-up board to play with....

A uTracer too if people want valves characterised, plus other test kit too. A few amps and the uFonkens...

I'll bring the modded Quad 405-2 that Thomas liked - I have some unmodded ones too that I might bring for comparison.

I may have a couple of commercial s/h valve amps for sale... (are we allowed to bring stuff for sale?)

Basically, whatever I can get in to the car...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: I may have a couple of commercial s/h valve amps for sale... (are we allowed to bring stuff for sale?)
As long as it's affordable. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Mike H »

I'd like to bring something new, ideally something I've made but in any case I will bring the little Chinese amp with the TV valves.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote:
jack wrote: I may have a couple of commercial s/h valve amps for sale... (are we allowed to bring stuff for sale?)
As long as it's affordable. :wink:
It might be for sale, but you don't have to buy any of it... :)

The posh stuff mostly went at Audio Jumble anyway. Mad. Mad.

I'll bring some nice big caps too. Lots of weird stuff I really should pass on to other people...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by steve s »

I'd better bring some money too then....
Bring what you want and try and sell what you can...we love it
Cheers ..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Anyone want to buy a Barbarik push pull EL34?
Owned by a little old lady who only used it on Sundays to play backing tracks for hymns in Church.
Now our Ant is building me a preamp, I can build a pair of parallel PP monoblocks. :mrgreen:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by IslandPink »

I'll try & bring by brother-in-law along - perhaps he might be tempted ....

That's not my answer to "what are you bringing" by the way.
I'm not 100% sure what the 'package' will be, but it's going to be either one side of the speaker system ( OB, Yuichi horn & ribbon ) with a suitable 2-channel amplifier , or two Yuichi horns + ribbons, with a stereo amp with high-pass filters, which will be harder to judge tone-wise, but stereo. Might bring my Longdog DAC along if anyone wants to have it in their systems for comparisons ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cressy Snr wrote:Anyone want to buy a Barbarik push pull EL34?
Owned by a little old lady who only used it on Sundays to play backing tracks for hymns in Church.
Now our Ant is building me a preamp, I can build a pair of parallel PP monoblocks. :mrgreen:

The amp has now been reserved for someone.
Neal
Shed dweller

#11 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Neal »

I don't have any thing new to bring apart from my Logic Gemini Deck I picked up a while ago. Will bring phono stage and maybe my little WAD 6080 amp, its not been out for a run since eggfest....in fact I'm not sure it still works! :D

Oh I could bring my TDA1541 DAC with inbuilt RPi......
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote:
That sounds interesting. :D

Have you any links to the item ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Ray P »

All being well I hope to get along for the Saturday.

If I do I'll bring at least one of my no-dac DACs. In case you're confused, this is DSD-only playback without using a conventional DAC chip of any sort. I'll also bring along a PC running HQPlayer so that I have some DSD to play but can also use it as source for other DACs if anyone is interested in HQPlayer.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Neal
Shed dweller

#14 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Neal »

pre65 wrote:
Neal wrote:
That sounds interesting. :D

Have you any links to the item ?[/qoute]

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... kind/page5. Post 46
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#15 Re: Owston what are you bringing?

Post by Greg »

Neal, are you now using the IQaudIO dac?

Sorry for thread drift.