Coffee machines

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#1 Coffee machines

Post by Greg »

I'm in the market for a proper domestic coffee machine and ancillaries and I understand their maybe some knowledgeable aficionados (Andrew I or DTB?) here. I can't afford a bean to cup machine but I am looking at espresso machines. At present I am favouring a Gaggia Classic, but I would be interested in the recommendations and experiences of others.

I will also want a decent burr coffee grinder to produce an even fine grind for espresso coffee.

So, in my anticipation, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Depends what you want, Greg. I have a Gaggia Coffee, which is to all intents and purposes the same as the Classic, and after the HiFi it's the next go-to item when the house burns down. There's two reasons why I love it. Firstly, obviously, because it makes a beautiful cup of coffee, but secondly because I love the ritual and procedure it creates, the clouds of steam and the noise, and that's where other may differ. It's quite a lengthy and labour-intensive procedure to make a Cappucino, (Espresso's much quicker, as it doesn't involve milk frothing), but if you're thinking of grabbing a quick caffeine hit on the way out to the office, you might be better off with a Nespresso machine. Gaggia is definitely the vinyl of the coffee world!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

We haven't got a posh coffee machine. But we do have a Son who started work as a Barrista! We don't make those posh coffee's like our-Shane does at home but do enjoy a fresh proper coffee (black, no sugar thanks..)..

For fine grinds, yup, Burr grinder = thumbs up/plus 1/'like' etc etc.

Many years ago our-Jonny Starbux (guess where he works) bought us a Starbucks branded Burr grinder like this http://www.starbucksstore.com/encore-co ... d=grinders and we've hammered it good and proper. The run-back timer on the side broke after about 18 months so we just turn it on and off manually at the switch now, still grinds like a mofo (as Dr. Dre would probably say).

We use 2 x Bodum French Presses http://www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/1923-16/

Strong and Streamin'. Yummers.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah I guess I've (just) bought the wrong one then, ho hum. I went to Argos and spent twenty quid on a DeLonghi grinder. It is big and powerful and can make a fine dust of everything I put in it; re nuts, berries, granite, concrete, oak trees and varied seeds I add to my smoothy making machine.

For coffee beans I just go on time as to how much I feel I need to reduce the bean.

I haven't the patience to wait for a Gaggia to blow its top, so this kind of coffee is a treat in a coffee shop. Bedford has a large italian population so good coffee is easy to find. I hate what Costa has become - frothy, tasteless liquid cardboard! At home I use cafetieres too. I had a nasty £50 coffee making machine once that was poky, fiddly, unreliable and difficult to clean so perhaps it takes more of an addiction than I have to outlay the capital to get a good working machine.

At work several of my colleagues are wary of my coffee. It is so strong I can make decaff as potent as real caff, but what a wonderful taste!

why a grinder rather than the powder? why as eni fule no coffee powder loses its gorgeous taste quickly and goes 'acid' after grinding so it is best to grind as you need the powder. Keeping it in the fridge is also a poor substitute.

Onwards!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

fred philistine here,

I have a philips senseo machine which uses coffee bags(oh horrors). I'm on my third since I brought the first one back from France in about 2001.

The only problem with them is that if you give a guest a cup of coffee they will always ask for a second cup.......

they do break down, see first paragraph, and bags are expensive....I get mine in red cross parcels from France because the cost exactly a third of the price they are in England........

you're welcome round any time to try it Greg

oh btw I had a gaggia prior to my first senseo
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

If you do decide on a Gaggia, you might want to take a quick trip down the road to Strete as Gaggia have an outlet shop in Clarkes Village. Mine had been on static display in a shop. Saved me about £100 on the best price I could find anywhere else, and it came boxed as new with a full warranty. It hasn't missed a beat in 6 years.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Yups, Oxygen is Roasted Coffee's enemy. Jonny StarBux was taught this when he was studying (no really) for his 'Coffee Passport' (no really again). SB's training was good, he has to identify Coffee's from around the world without looking at the Packet!!

What a professional coffee drinker. I'm very proud of him.

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Bah humbug.

"proper" coffee keeps you awake all night. :wink:

S'true. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

We have a De Longhi Nespresso machine that takes the Nespresso capsules and makes Ristretto, Espresso, Lungo, Cappuccino and Latte... We never bother with the milky things, but the espresso are nice. Not particularly cheap but it works for us....

My Mrs also uses a caffetierre thing and makes 2 cups from a 4 cup machine... that's nice strong coffee too, but you need to grind your own or buy the ready ground. The Nespresso capsules are sealed and you just pop them in the machine and out comes a coffee...

http://www.slamtech.co.uk/fr/coffee-mac ... chine.html
©2020 Lee
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Before I went T total on health grounds I was using a Stove top expresso maker. Makes a lovely cup of coffee.

For example: Link removed on manufactures request
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

OK I'll wade in!
Plastic filter coffee cone for one cup- I've used one of these for years- indispensible IMHO

Something along the lines of

http://www.hrhiggins.co.uk/accessories/ ... ter_cones/

Mine is a 'Melitta' and they are less than a pound in yer average French hypermarche, funky colours too. Just pop a (non bleached) paper and (fairtrade) columbian in there, sorted!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks for all your responses. Over the years I've done filtered, percolators, caffetierre's and all the alternatives, but none of them have worked for me compared to a proper freshly ground and machine brewed espresso shot. Furthermore, a double expresso shot converted into an Americano simply does the business for me for my day to day coffee cup. Incidentally, I absolutely hate tea and have done so as long as I can remember. When my parents gave up on trying to make me drink tea and before I discovered coffee, I was allowed to drink Bovril at the meal table.

Shane, your posts have been most helpful. I feel confirmed in my desire for a Gaggia and a trip to the Clarks Village at Street is now on the agenda.
Thank you.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

thomas wrote:OK I'll wade in!
Plastic filter coffee cone for one cup- I've used one of these for years- indispensible IMHO
You're soooooo 1978 'Berni Inn's' our-Thomas :lol:

Denby Pottery outlet at Clarks Village too Greg, you could pick up some lovely mugs too while you're down there for deluxe coffee suppage.

We know it well even though we live 157.5 miles away from it! :-)

DTB
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

mellow Birds will make you smile
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Kenco decaff for me. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)