OWSTON MEET 26 & 27 MAY 2012

Subjects that don't have their own home
Audiofreeeek
User

Post by Audiofreeeek »

My hardware next time is going to be tape based, i have a nice pioneer reel to reel and tape deck ive dug out and needing servicing for next meet :)

Whenever that will be??

Whats the wigwam ?
Ain't no finer smell in the world than a new car...except maybe pussy!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I assume this was what was meant?

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum.php
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Reminds me I got a nice Akai one, but really needs a re-capping.

And possibly re-resistoring as well

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:Reminds me I got a nice Akai one, but really needs a re-capping.

And possibly re-resistoring as well
Job 137 on the list of things to do. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Add a nought to the end of that :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Just to say I also enjoyed my time at Owston and thanks to Steve S for organising.

Most of the seminar was over my head, but enjoyed the company none the less.

Highlights for me were Steve S speakers, DTB A2 amp experiment, and Brians demo.

Sadly I had to leave late afternoon so missed Thomas's amp collection and Pauls baffles.

Sunday's racing was good, but the heat and number of races have reduced my once proud physique to an ache riddled wreck. Good fun though. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Aidan
User

#187 Great day

Post by Aidan »

Thanks Steve for organising another great event.

Just wish I could have stayed for Sunday too, but ..... oh well.

I heard some amazing sounds, liked the metronomes - better than last year, now why is that?

The Supreme Dalek of speakers had incredible scale and presence but I think the hieght of the room was to low for them. Couple of the amps were sublime, no idea now after a night's sleep which ones :-)

Many many thanks to the two heroes who set my Gyrodec up properly, I made notes and I promise to keep it in fine fettle.

And Steve's own almost fully clothed speakers were really nice, I have always thought the OB ones either had not enough treble (lost in the room?) or too much - in your face and a tad harsh. These seemed to hit the mark through out the spectrum.... Steve explained the differences well. An easy on the ear, yet accurate sound with detail and scale. Wish I could have heard that Perfect Circle LP through them so hear what they do with rock.

Pity about the the room's acoustics and loading, but no room will ever suit all of the very different kit built for the meet.

Loved that Avid.....!

But please... no more Lenny 'what's the point, just drink the Kool Aid' Cohen, I am now back on uppers :-)

Thanks to one and all, Aidan

P.S. Yes I have sunburn on my head from dozing in the beer garden ;-)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ooh no, don't need that

hifimaster
User

Post by hifimaster »

Your welcome Aidan :D
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Mike H wrote: PS: we was all very impressed as well with Paul's chucked-together-from-scrap OB's, :D if it's that simple, gorra have a go at that too. lol....
No it isn't sadly that simple. what you heard was the culmination of all my failures. Regarding OB I believe I have three moderate successes. the ones brought to Eggborough which actually James ic inst. Te at home a pair of those worked well. The thinish ply was a soundboard we were listening to an acoustic instrument which sounded nice and woody, but not "boxy".

I still have at home a pair of Briggs shaped flooring grade wood chip baffles with Field coils pretty central no bass unit no tweeter just an 8" full range (in the 1950's sense of the word). I love those, you lot would be hankering for your top and your sub bottom.

And the ones you heard. I like those too.

I have failed to make anything work with the Supravox bass even though James did a great job with it. I have failed to make good out of AER MArk1's, Rullet hand made cannabis cone 8" with an alnico magnet twice the size of a lowther alnico magnet. (HOrrible) I didn't do badly with the Lowther PM7a's but someone stole them (I kid you not, said he could recone them and dissapeared! What a gullable wally I am)

I think I would like a pair of PM7a's so I can take the ma out and fit an fc. That would have a good sound.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#191 Re: Great day

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aidan wrote:Thanks Steve for organising another great event.

Just wish I could have stayed for Sunday too, but ..... oh well.

I heard some amazing sounds, liked the metronomes - better than last year, now why is that?
That's easy. Last year the tweeters were in phase with the main drivers when they should have been out of phase with them. This caused a discontinuity in the treble response, that once it had been picked up by Richard, became obvious to all who listened to them at the previous Owston.

With the tweeters properly out of phase, the sound became beautifully integrated from top to bottom which is presumably what you heard this time.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

After missing the last Owston it was great to see so many old friends and soe new ones too. Shame a few of the older faces couldn't make it though. Thanks to Steve for organising again, we're very much in your debt :-).

So, here come the photos, roughly in chronological order. Please everyone help me out with descriptions etc. etc. Thanks!

So starting the day with Chris, dad looking rather disinterested!:
Andrew's spectrum analyser in use:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Next up was Steve with his super Mets, Apple streaming kit and shunt reg KT120s. That glow :-). Ant's stuff is on the left but he didn't have a lot fo luck this time around:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote:Please everyone help me out with descriptions etc. etc. Thanks!

OOooooo! My pleasure.... caption to this one ^^^

"Chris discovers his right arm has disappeared so Dad starts a search for it"

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Next was Alec, with 401 in maple plinth, PHONO II and PRE II and lovely speakers: