Who uses Internet Explorer ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Who uses Internet Explorer ?

Post by pre65 »

Just seen this on the BBC "technology" news. :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

whatever it says ... I do. I also use Google chrome and on my laptop I use something else the name of which escapes me (something to do with a fox?).

Am I wrong?!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

"Internet Exploder is the number one browser for downloading other browsers."

Firefox for me.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I use IE simply because I like it. I know the smart money says Firefox is the biz but I actually quite hate it. No rhyme nor reason and I know it defies the trend where all the clever bastids (or those who think they're clever) use Firefox.

I've tried Chrome, Opera and Safari as well. Don't like Safari or Chrome but Opera's quite ok, in my opinion.

So we IE users have a lower IQ do we? Doesn't surprise me, that's the legacy of being a child of the sixties who took too many drugs and is quite surprised his brain still works relatively ok ;)

You do all realise there's a certain snobbishness, a perceived eliteness, about using Firefox? Smugness, even ;)

Yet it's now as prone to nasties (Malware, Maladies and Viruses) as IE.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Camino is a development dead end so I wouldn't trust anything written in that report...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You do all realise there's a certain snobbishness, a perceived eliteness, about using Firefox? Smugness, even
I think that just paranoia :-).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Prince of Darkness
User

Post by Prince of Darkness »

It's inevitable that IE users will have a lower IQ on average, as in addition to the people that prefer it, you also have all the people that use it because it was supplied and either lack the ability to change it or just can't be bothered :roll:
"We need to grab the Bull by the scruff of the horns!"

Prince.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Prince of Darkness wrote:It's inevitable that IE users will have a lower IQ on average, as in addition to the people that prefer it, you also have all the people that use it because it was supplied and either lack the ability to change it or just can't be bothered :roll:
I don't see the logic in that, its just begging the question. What if the people who prefered something different had < 100 IQ. Then your statement would still be true, and IE users would have a > 100 IQ.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

It could be that microsoft have written into IE a secret code that lowers your IQ so that you will only buy MS products :D
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Nick wrote:
You do all realise there's a certain snobbishness, a perceived eliteness, about using Firefox? Smugness, even
Possibly partly.

I do actually use Firefox in Linux Mint, I switch between that and Opera, I have tried really hard to like Firefox but I just can't get on with it. I don't like the fact you can't have it open without displaying a page, you can do that in both IE and Opera, and that's just one little thing amongst others but mostly it's just a feel for a certain piece of software.

Firefox does have one advantage though, a really rather good plug-in called 'Download Helper' which enables you to capture any onscreen video content.

I've tried at least half a dozen Linux distros btw and Mint is, to my mind, easily the most beginner-friendly so far, it's based on Ubuntu but with a large repository and all media codecs and players pre-installed. Libre Office and Scribus are also both good MS Office & MS Publisher substitutes.

As for IE, I just prefer it, feel comfortable using it. If this makes me daft, so be it.
Prince of Darkness
User

Post by Prince of Darkness »

I don't see the logic in that, its just begging the question. What if the people who prefered something different had < 100 IQ. Then your statement would still be true, and IE users would have a > 100 IQ.[/quote]

I think you're missing my point. I am not suggesting any connection between IQ and preference, merely that people with lower IQ's are more likely to stick with what they are given. This is of course IE. If the research figures were filtered to exclude people who had only ever used one browser, I suspect there would be no noticeable difference in the IQ's between the browsers :D
"We need to grab the Bull by the scruff of the horns!"

Prince.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, I see what you are saying.

BTW, I thought all new EU windows installs had a "choose your browser" screen at the start.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Nick wrote:BTW, I thought all new EU windows installs had a "choose your browser" screen at the start.
They do, and there's quite a few to choose from, around a dozen.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

floppybootstomp wrote:
Nick wrote:
Possibly partly.

I do actually use Firefox in Linux Mint, I switch between that and Opera, I have tried really hard to like Firefox but I just can't get on with it. I don't like the fact you can't have it open without displaying a page, you can do that in both IE and Opera, and that's just one little thing amongst others but mostly it's just a feel for a certain piece of software.
Sure you can.

Tools>Options>General>When Firefox Starts> Blank Page.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

But the story is bogus anyway so what a silly thing to get tangled up with.

Where's the evidence for '... merely that people with lower IQ's are more likely to stick with what they are given.' ????

and how come 'can't be bothered' equates to a lower IQ ????

I started to use a new PC recently and yes, there was a choose your own browser / download a new browser option unavoidably flagged up.

Chrome seems to be marginally faster - firefox seems slower. I can't be bothered - I really do have quite a few things that seem to occupy 25 hours a day, so really, - browser choice ? - one that works! .... and IE does. I have no complaints.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.