Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone :santa: :santa:
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

merry christmas to all and lets have another year of madness/silliness and sparks of brilliance from our little audio talk community.

cheers (glug glug glug as the festive cheer is poured!)

ant
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Merry Christmas everyone. :santa:
Chris :happy3:
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Seasonal felicitations to one and all.

Enjoy.

Ray
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

With a ho ho ho and a hee hee hee....
ed
retired

Post by ed »

aussi bonne fetes mes braves
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Prince of Darkness
User

Post by Prince of Darkness »

Bah! Humbug!

Just kidding :twisted:

Merry Christmas Everyone :D
"We need to grab the Bull by the scruff of the horns!"

Prince.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year to you all. :D
davebms
User

#24 Merry Christmas

Post by davebms »

Merry Christmas ,and good luck to you all

dave
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Here's something I posted on me computer forum, hope you don't mind me sharing it with you but this has been my Christmas.

Gifts. So far I have two vinyl albums and two computer games.

Far as I'm concerned, this makes me a rich man :)

Today at 6pm I took a half hour walk to the pub where my daughter works, very dark, very cold, across the 'heath crunching footsteps in frozen snow, ice.

Knocked on the door, only the governor and his wife there, preparing tomorrow's Sunday lunch. There was supposed to have been about 30 people but it is so cold and miserable I was the only one who showed.

Faye had gone to her aunts an hour before I got there as well. So Stuart bought me a pint of Guinness, we talked and I left after 30 minutes and walked home again. I'd got used to the cold by now and it didn't bother me, in fact I enjoyed the walk. I half-heartedly sung some songs to myself on the way home - Silent Night, Away In A Manger and oddly Paul McCartney's 'Someone's knocking at The Door'. One guy getting out his car heard me singing and smiled at me. A couple walking on the 'heath (a fat bird and her bald bloke) wished me Happy Christmas and I thanked them and wished the same to them.

I'm glad I went out even if it wasn't as I thought it would be.

My Gammon joint was superb which made me think that maybe sometimes it is worth spending the xtra money on food.

Of all days, today my broadband connection decided to go flakey on me. It kept going on and off. I'm not sure why, I gues it's one of these reasons: Modem/Router dying on me (doubtful); Telephone exchange problems (most likely);ISP messing me about because I've been using Bit Torrent services (Who knows?). Still, seems ok now.

I've played some CoD4 online, a Borderlands add-on (The Zombie Island Of Dr Ned) and I've started playing Oblivion through again, playing lots of mods and side quests this time though, taking my time. I really like Oblivion, so much better than the Fallout 3 games.

And finally, a story on the BBC news that warmed my heart, kinda happy/sad. As most of you know I am not a religious person but some biblical stories are good. The Good Samaritan is one of those stories and that is what this story echoes:

The modern day good samaritan
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

floppybootstomp wrote:Of all days, today my broadband connection decided to go flakey on me. It kept going on and off. I'm not sure why, I gues it's one of these reasons: Modem/Router dying on me (doubtful); Telephone exchange problems (most likely);ISP messing me about because I've been using Bit Torrent services (Who knows?). Still, seems ok now.

Check you haven't got a broken wire. I found I had just recently. The cable between router and 'phone socket. Probably explained many of the probs I was having earlier in the year. 'Course when you test with an Ohmmeter it won't show up, but it did this time!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Thanks for the suggestion Mike but all is well today so I suspect problems at the local BT exchange which was probably unmanned on Christmas Day.

Only happened once before in 30 months and was put right in less than two hours on that occasion.

I didn't suspect the cable as the connection was intermittent on all three hard wired computers. And for testing CAT 5 cables I have one of those testers from RS, bought it when I had to make up a bunch of VGA leads for a college, the tester has three or four different functions and has proved to be very useful in the 15 years I've owned it.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Floppy,

Read your message. Picked up on your internet issue. 25th December of course is a good day for ISP to carry out maintenance which can slow things down.

Mostly, I picked up that you might be lonely. If so, although I don't know you, I empathise and I wish you everything good during this season and of course a great 2011 that will make next Christmas a happy occasion for you.

Whilst happy families gather and share the festive season, it is well worth remembering that many who live on their own or have personal circumstances that are not so great can be very lonely at this time. Remember, at Christmas, even the homeless/rough sleepers are treated specially, yet others who hold a humble job and simple single accomodation together don't get to share such fun and festivity.

Floppy, there are some of us out here thinking/praying about you and the others in your same situation.

I don't know what else I can say on a public forum, but be sure, there are people around you who do care and wish things will be better for you next time around.

Best wishes,

Greg
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Good point there Greg. Image

floppybootstomp wrote:I didn't suspect the cable as the connection was intermittent on all three hard wired computers.
Oh right then! :D Well of course the Internet does have its "moments"

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Gawsh. :oops: Hey Greg, I apreciate your concern and it cheered me to read your post.

But. I spent this Christmas alone by choice. I had several invites, could have spent it with my Mum & Sister or any one of a couple of friends who'd invited people round.

I split from my wife in 2002 and since then have only spent one Christmas alone, 2006, when I was ill. Again by choice.

Sometimes it's good to be in your own company, I listened to vinyl, played games on the computer and Xbox and watched a film. And partook of the demon alcohol ;)

I will confess to being lonely for the company of a partner as I haven't been without a woman since when I was about 17 I suppose. My age is not a good age to find oneself single as a glance in the mirror tells me I've warped from a dashing young buck to a withered old prune :D

Not the best attributes for attracting a filly ;)

Still, things could be a lot worse and I try to stay cheerful and optimistic.

My thanks for your thoughts Greg, I raise a glass to you.