Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11566 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Fridge is less than 2 years old, not inclined to fork out another £400, so will be trying to find out more tomorrow.
I was just looking forward to 5 days off work , this is not a good start.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#11567 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

:D
Ah wer abit miffed tho, ad oni replaced 't brushes abaht five years aguh

So ah tuk em aht bifooer thi tuk it

Could you plug it into a separate plug in breaker so it trips that before tripping the cu? Or see if unplugging other things on that ring to see if it's the combined draw that is tripping the cu rather than just the fridge?
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11568 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Is it the CU RCD that's tripping, or an MCB?

If it's an MCB for the ring that the fridge and other white goods are on, it may be that a C-rated rather than a standard B-rated breaker is needed.

However, a fridge should not need a C-rated breaker.

If the fridge had a defrost cycle, this is a common mode of failure - the heating elements in particular. Another failure point is the ice-maker (if any).

What's the make of fridge?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11569 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Ant wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:17 pm Could you plug it into a separate plug in breaker so it trips that before tripping the cu? Or see if unplugging other things on that ring to see if it's the combined draw that is tripping the cu rather than just the fridge?
I can't plug the fridge into any other plug than the one on the wall in kitchen, it won't reach.
Or do you mean one of those separate circuit breakers you can use for tools ? - unfortunately haven't got one. The neighbour might have, though. Will ask.
I had everything on that circuit unplugged at one stage, then started slowly started adding things back on, including the combi boiler.
Everything was fine, I'd had 20mins without interruption, then I plugged the fridge back in. Within a couple of minutes the power went down again - but a further clue was that I heard the fridge come on, it briefly started then there was a 'thunk' as the switch tripped upstairs and the lights went off.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11570 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 am Is it the CU RCD that's tripping, or an MCB?

If it's an MCB for the ring that the fridge and other white goods are on, it may be that a C-rated rather than a standard B-rated breaker is needed.

However, a fridge should not need a C-rated breaker.

If the fridge had a defrost cycle, this is a common mode of failure - the heating elements in particular. Another failure point is the ice-maker (if any).

What's the make of fridge?
Not sure about the first line, I'm just a punter, not an expert. It's a white box up on the second floor, with loads of trip switches. It was renewed about 18 months ago.
Possibly defrost cycle, I have read elsewhere this is a common fault.
Fridge is a Hotpoint. These days that may not be a good thing !
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#11571 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by izzy wizzy »

To determine of it's the fridge or a sensitivity on that ring, you could plug the fridge into an extension cord run from another ring in the house.
As you had the box replaced recently, that should in theory be fine.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11572 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

If I'd had a use for the brushes I'd a tekken them out no problem.

I did consider removing the drum as they're good for planting things like figs in - constrains the growth roots so it doesn't get too large and concentrates on fruiting, but let's the fine feeding roots out. But work was busy and time was against me.

(Do I still qualify as a Yorkshireman?)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11573 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

izzy wizzy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:43 pm To determine of it's the fridge or a sensitivity on that ring, you could plug the fridge into an extension cord run from another ring in the house.
Ah, OK. I will probably need two extension leads to get upstairs onto the other ring, will try that.
Ant
Shed dweller

#11574 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

simon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:49 pm If I'd had a use for the brushes I'd a tekken them out no problem.

I did consider removing the drum as they're good for planting things like figs in - constrains the growth roots so it doesn't get too large and concentrates on fruiting, but let's the fine feeding roots out. But work was busy and time was against me.

(Do I still qualify as a Yorkshireman?)
Yes you still qualify, it's the thought that counts. :D
The drums are also good as burn bins, being stainless they don't rot like the galvanised incinerator bins do, and all the holes mean that they burn quickly as they allow air to draw from all sides

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11575 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

izzy wizzy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:43 pm To determine of it's the fridge or a sensitivity on that ring, you could plug the fridge into an extension cord run from another ring in the house.
More progress, it was a bit more complicated vs. circuits than I thought. The cooker is on the other ring, so used the socket there and a small extension lead. Plugged in fridge, it came on briefly then went off, but didn't trip the breaker. However, left it plugged in, and 5mins later, the breaker went and the smoke alarms started beeping. So it's definitely the fridge-freezer. Now I need to find the invoice and serial number, I have a sheaf of information to hand but typically it doesn't include the key document.
Currys Rhyl is closed. I'm going to try Wrexham.
Couldn't get our electrician , but that's probably less important now.
Ant
Shed dweller

#11576 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Well our washer has developed a leak today, front left corner so it's not the trap, that's front right. looks like the spanners are coming out....

ed
retired

#11577 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

just overheard Sandrine conducting this afternoon's school lesson, which was timetabled as English...but changed to music(we're very dynamic here)...anyway, I was surprised to hear that a saxaphone is a wind instrument...

before today if I'd been asked I would have said it's a brass instrument....

go figure

it seems the categorisation is because it has a reed(woodwinds have a reed and brass dont)...

more public service posting
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Greg
Social outcast

#11578 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Does that make a flute a brass instrument, then?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11579 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:22 pm Does that make a flute a brass instrument, then?
"A brass instrument is a musical instrument that produces sound by sympathetic vibration of air in a tubular resonator in sympathy with the vibration of the player's lips. Brass instruments are also called labrosones, literally meaning "lip-vibrated instruments".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_instrument
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#11580 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Aren’t brass and woodwind sub-categories of wind instruments generally? I always thought a wind instrument was anything you blew into.
Interesting thought though. A sax is fundamentally a metal-bodied clarinet. Flutes were originally wood, but metal ones are still regarded as woodwind, so presumably saxophones are as well. Mind you, these are Classical orchestral distinctions. I’m not sure they’re ready to admit that the sax is an instrument of any sort!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.